Game Thread 5-8-2005 Sox vs Blueballs er Jays

• Replies 552
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(AddisonStSox @ May 8, 2005 -> 12:44 PM)
As a patched IHSA official, I resent that.

If you call it like it is, I respect you. If you're like the umps in this game. That one's for you. :)

They just gave Man Soo some much deserved TV time. :headbang

Guest JimH

Everybody on this board who's an umpire is a good ump.

It's just these major league guys we're having the problem with. :D

There, now we've settled that. :D

QUOTE(JimH @ May 8, 2005 -> 12:46 PM)
Everybody on this board who's an umpire is a good ump.

It's just these major league guys we're having the problem with. :D

There, now we've settled that. :D

lol works for me

Guest JimH

Donn Pall ranting about batters admirning home runs, and he's right.

Everett with a base hit up the middle.

I've blown a call or two. :P It happens.

Now a patched umpire of a couple years, I have all the respect in the world for the profession. It's a lot harder than it seems fellas. b****ing about calls is a thing of the past, I have far too much mutual respect to ride the umps anymore.i

Alright, i just got back and this is by far, one of the weirdest game threads ever.

This is the first time I've seen chacin (or whatever), that stutter-step is weird as hell.

QUOTE(AddisonStSox @ May 8, 2005 -> 12:48 PM)
I've blown a call or two. :P  It happens.

Now a patched umpire of a couple years, I have all the respect in the world for the profession.  It's a lot harder than it seems fellas.  b****ing about calls is a thing of the past, I have far too much mutual respect to ride the umps anymore.i

it is hard... to be that focused for that long. you have to be constantly watching where the ball is at all times - and calling safe or out can be tricky on close plays cuz you have to watch the bag and listen for the catch... or, on a stolen base like that... sometimes it comes down to whether the ball gets there first or not... its actually really hard cuz they dont have all those angles and replays we get...

I have umped a lot to for anywhere from 10-15 year olds. I don't gain any repspect at all for umps who f*** up things like the Crede steal. That's just sheer laziness not to watch the play through.

How hard is it to watch the play and see if he gets tagged?

Guest JimH
I've blown a call or two. :P  It happens.

Now a patched umpire of a couple years, I have all the respect in the world for the profession.  It's a lot harder than it seems fellas.  b****ing about calls is a thing of the past, I have far too much mutual respect to ride the umps anymore.i

I agree it's harder than it looks.

I also wish I could refrain from b****ing about the calls, but when they're right I give them credit and when they're wrong a give them holy hell.

Comes with the territory I guess.

The umpiring is a lot better than it used to be IMO. Less vendetta's, more accountability, and more willingness to check with other umps to make sure everyone saw the same thing.

QUOTE(WHarris1 @ May 8, 2005 -> 12:50 PM)
I have umped a lot to for anywhere from 10-15 year olds.  I don't gain any repspect at all for umps who f*** up things like the Crede steal.  That's just sheer laziness not to watch the play through.

How hard is it to watch the play and see if he gets tagged?

from his angle it looked like he was tagged... he doesnt have the replays and angles we have - and once he makes a call, even if he knows its wrong, he has to stick with it. i know that one from experience.

QUOTE(Reddy @ May 8, 2005 -> 12:52 PM)
from his angle it looked like he was tagged... he doesnt have the replays and angles we have - and once he makes a call, even if he knows its wrong, he has to stick with it.  i know that one from experience.

Why didn't he move to get a better angle?

And isn't it a dead give away when the fielder is still trying to tag him all the way till hes on the base?