Game Thread 5-8-2005 Sox vs Blueballs er Jays

• Replies 552
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(WHarris1 @ May 8, 2005 -> 11:53 AM)
Why didn't he move to get a better angle?

And isn't it a dead give away when the fielder is still trying to tag him all the way till hes on the base?

If there was a better angle he would have taken it. I'll give him the benefit of the doubt, as I probably would have made the same call.

You're struggling for position, you see Joe Crede stealing a base, the ball beats him, you call him out. It happens.

In other news, Buehrle is a champ. Two great innings.

QUOTE(WHarris1 @ May 8, 2005 -> 12:53 PM)
Why didn't he move to get a better angle?

And isn't it a dead give away when the fielder is still trying to tag him all the way till hes on the base?

an ump has a split second to decide where to move, and most of the time its just instinct. saying "why didnt he move to get a better angle" is, most of the time, naive. now granted every once and a while there really is a situation where the ump just didnt move at all but for the most part they're all trying to be in position.

QUOTE(greasywheels121 @ May 8, 2005 -> 12:53 PM)
He was safe.

Yes, I know, but Crede took an ugly hop before he even stepped on 2nd base. If he wants to try and steal a base he needs to know when to slide on time.

QUOTE(AddisonStSox @ May 8, 2005 -> 12:57 PM)
Aaron is waking up.

Dye is waking up.

Konerko is waking up.

Watch out.

the sox must have finally bought an alarm clock.

QUOTE(Soxnbears01 @ May 8, 2005 -> 11:58 AM)
the sox must have finally bought an alarm clock.

What's incredible is we have been able to win (and win quite often) during those slumps.

That amazes me. That's the kind of stuff that needs to happen if you want to win the division.

As for Kenny's aqusition of Uribe, I think both parties walked away happy. The Rockies have their starting two-bagger in Miles and we aquiried the shortstop of the future. I think Kenny may have gotten the better of the deal, but the Rockies didn't get fleeced.

QUOTE(AddisonStSox @ May 8, 2005 -> 01:00 PM)
What's incredible is we have been able to win (and win quite often) during those slumps.

That amazes me.  That's the kind of stuff that needs to happen if you want to win the division.

As for Kenny's aqusition of Uribe, I think both parties walked away happy.  The Rockies have their starting two-bagger in Miles and we aquiried the shortstop of the future.  I think Kenny may have gotten the better of the deal, but the Rockies didn't get fleeced.

I bet Colorado is enamored with Miles' sub .290 OBP

QUOTE(JimH @ May 8, 2005 -> 12:03 PM)
DJ pumping up the Sox minor leaguers.

For the most part, I agree with him.

There is some certain talent down there. What do you think Jim, from what you've seen in person, which of the Sox big-name minor leaguers will contribute consistantly to a big-league club?

From the looks of it, McCarthy, Anderson, Fields, and Sweeny (to a lesser degree) really seem primed for ML careers.