All Star Team

I would have to imagine that Iguchi, Garland, Buerhle and Hermy (if he continues to pitch amazing-even if he is in a closer by committee.) Possibly even El-Duque if he keeps it up and Freddy and Jose might have a shot if they get some more wins. Basically, Hermy and the starters all derserve to go, but we know that would never happen.

Garland is a definate right now.

Iguchi has a chance, especially if he keeps the average in the 330 range.

AJ also could have a good shot if his number pick up.

MB won't make it unless his era drops a bunch.

Spod has a great shot at making it if his average gets up to about .300, and he keeps getting a steal every other game.

A darkhorse is Hermanson if he takes over the closers job and gets a bunch of saves before the break.

QUOTE(Al Lopez's Ghost @ May 9, 2005 -> 11:33 AM)
Who do you think will be our representatives on this year's team. Gotta figure Garland, most likely Buerhle too. Based on his play and with the bonus of Pacific Rim voting, I'm thinking Iguchi will give Roberts a run for his money too. Those would be my three.

I'm saying no one, maybe Buerhle, it's a popularity contest.........and we ain't popular.

QUOTE(LosMediasBlancas @ May 9, 2005 -> 08:45 AM)
I'm saying no one, maybe Buerhle, it's a popularity contest.........and we ain't popular.

Pitchers don't make it on the vote. Coaches and players pick them IIRC. Therefore, if our pitchers keep this up, we'll have some representatives.

QUOTE(LosMediasBlancas @ May 9, 2005 -> 07:45 AM)

Fact is the team with the best ERA in its League always seems to get respect and usually gets 2 pitchers into the all-star game

QUOTE(LosMediasBlancas @ May 9, 2005 -> 08:45 AM)

Only the starting position players are voted in. Boston's manager will select the reserves.

QUOTE(aboz56 @ May 9, 2005 -> 08:37 AM)
IT's still way too early to talk about the all-star game.

Talk to me in Mid-June.

I agree but you can vote online now and at the ballpark so the popular Yankees and Red Sox will have all the starters this year!

QUOTE(Leonard Zelig @ May 9, 2005 -> 09:36 AM)
Only the starting position players are voted in.  Boston's manager will select the reserves.

Hopefully Francona is less of a jagoff than Joe Torre. I still can't believe we only had one representative last year...and it was Loaiza!

QUOTE(LauraJ14 @ May 9, 2005 -> 10:39 AM)
I agree but you can vote online now and at the ballpark so the popular Yankees and Red Sox will have all the starters this year!

The fans pick the position player starters, not the pitchers or backups, which is where our players will come from.

We won't have any starting position players voted in.

QUOTE(Milkman delivers @ May 9, 2005 -> 10:56 AM)
Hopefully Francona is less of a jagoff than Joe Torre.  I still can't believe we only had one representative last year...and it was Loaiza!

He knew they were gonna trade for him.... :P

Iguchi as the backup 2B.

3-4 of the starters.

Hermanson won't make it unless Guillen goes with him full-time as closer.

Who in the rotation goes will depend on the next month. Contreras is only 1-0, so he's doubtful. Garland is a lock as of now. Buerhle's star is rising in the media, he'll likely go. Garcia and El Duque could both get there or not depending on their numbers over the next month.

Konerko should make it as well if he can get his average up.

May be tough for Iguchi this year. Soriano usually gets voted in to start and if Roberts keeps it up, he'll be picked for reserve. Plus, they the Red Sox a lot in the East so Francona see him play.

Right now, there is no one more deserving than Garland. Everett, too since it's in an AL park. Hopefully Konerko can pick it up so he can get his well-deserved second appearance.

Then again, it's only May so a lot of things can happen. Jon Garland can come back down to earth and other people can pick it up as well.

Edited by robinventura23

So nobody thinks that Iguchi will benefit from a strong vote from Japan? I find that surprising.

I think Iguchi has a better chance at RotY than at being an All-Star. Brian Roberts' and Soriano's disgustingling hot starts have probably all but guaranteed that they will be in.

QUOTE(Al Lopez's Ghost @ May 10, 2005 -> 05:39 AM)
So nobody thinks that Iguchi will benefit from a strong vote from Japan? I find that surprising.

Did Kaz Matsui make it last year? I actually don't know.

I think Hideki Matsui makes it because of the Yankee fan base.

Ichiro makes it because he's a superstar here and in Japan.

Edited by robinventura23

QUOTE(Al Lopez's Ghost @ May 10, 2005 -> 06:39 AM)

I agree with you, I think everyone is discounting the Japanese vote. They come out in full force. If Iguchi keeps playing how he's playing do not be surprised to see him just rack up the All-Star vote. Besides him I think Buehrle will definately make it, he's finally starting to get a little bit of press and Francona is a former Baron manager so he knows the Sox system a little. And as long as Garland doesn't implode in the next two months he should be a shoe in as well. Apart from those three I think Konerko has a shot even if his average is around ~.250, if he is close to the league lead in home runs he should be voted in (the other AL 1B aren't that popular, Huff, Palmeiro, Giambi, Sweeney, Pena, Sexson [i bet he makes it]). Pods could make it, he's a flashy player with his speed, but I would not be surprised in the least if he didn't make it. However it turns out I'm pretty sure that there will be more than two white sox at Comerica Park come mid July.

QUOTE(tonyho7476 @ May 10, 2005 -> 09:40 AM)
Garland, Buerhle and Hermanson should make it.  Probably nothing but pitchers. 

Konerko has a chance if he gets his average up.

He'll have to get it up to around .270-.290. He'd basically have to hit better than .333 from now until then to get above .270. I think he can do it.....but I don't think he will. If Konerko is going to come out of his streak sometime in the future, I see him with about a high .240 to a low .260 batting average by the break. Of course he could stay on this streak and finish the season with stats comparible to 2003.