A Newspaper Giving Me Space?

LowerCaseRepublican

Hey all -- don't know why I'm sharing this here but I figure I should, haha.

For all those who get the Herald News (Joliet, etc.) -- be sure to look for me as one of the new op ed columnists for this upcoming set of columnists. I got the phone call this afternoon that they want me to start writing for them this summer. I'm still in shock that they actually liked the two test columns that I sent in. :lol:

QUOTE(LowerCaseRepublican @ May 9, 2005 -> 01:42 PM)

For all those who get the Herald News (Joliet, etc.) -- be sure to look for me as one of the new op ed columnists for this upcoming set of columnists.  I got the phone call this afternoon that they want me to start writing for them this summer.  I'm still in shock that they actually liked the two test columns that I sent in.  :lol:

:cheers

QUOTE(LowerCaseRepublican @ May 9, 2005 -> 01:42 PM)

For all those who get the Herald News (Joliet, etc.) -- be sure to look for me as one of the new op ed columnists for this upcoming set of columnists.  I got the phone call this afternoon that they want me to start writing for them this summer.  I'm still in shock that they actually liked the two test columns that I sent in.  :lol:

See, I TOLD you there's liberal bias in the media! ;)

QUOTE(TheBigHurt35 @ May 9, 2005 -> 12:55 PM)
See, I TOLD you there's liberal bias in the media! ;)

:lolhitting :lolhitting

Seriously though Congrats Apu. You'll have to post the transcript to your stories up here or something. I'll check them out.

QUOTE(Chisoxfn @ May 9, 2005 -> 05:12 PM)
:lolhitting  :lolhitting

Seriously though Congrats Apu.  You'll have to post the transcript to your stories up here or something.  I'll check them out.

You can probably find it here. http://www.suburbanchicagonews.com/heraldnews/

I check the police blotter every once in awhile to see if I know anyone that's been arrested.

QUOTE(YASNY @ May 10, 2005 -> 04:27 AM)
And Joliet used to be such a nice town. :headshake

Really?!?!?!?! :P

And Congrats Apu! Post the link once you've started.

Edited by ChiSoxyGirl

QUOTE(winodj @ May 9, 2005 -> 05:20 PM)
Congrats dude. You in Print, Me in radio...

is this the great left wing takeover we've been dreaming about?

Run for the hills!

Congrats, Apu!

QUOTE(winodj @ May 9, 2005 -> 11:20 PM)
Congrats dude. You in Print, Me in radio...

is this the great left wing takeover we've been dreaming about?

LMAO!

Actually, and I mean this in the most positive way...

If you two were leading the charge I would have a hell of a lot more respect for the left.

This is one of the sample columns that I sent in...in case anybody would be interested...

There is a clear and present danger to Illinois residents. I am not talking about the budget crisis. I am not talking about funding disparities in Illinois schools that rank Illinois near the bottom nationally in education. I’m talking the thing every person fears – pixilated video game violence!

Safe Games Illinois is a program started by Governor Blagojevich is looking to ban the sale of “Mature” rated video games to children under the age of 18. Not only is this a waste of the Governor’s time but there are several fundamental flaws with his moralistic crusade.

On the Safe Games Illinois web site, the Governor states that he wants to “shield our children” from objectionable items. I’m sorry Mr. Blagojevich, but can we leave the decision making regarding the raising of children to the child’s parents instead of having the government intercede as “We know what’s good for everyone!” nanny? A parent knows their child much better than the Illinois General Assembly and would know if the child is developmentally able to distinguish fantasy from reality enough to enjoy a video game.

The Governor claims that we must keep these objectionable games out of the hands of very young children. However, Mr. Blagojevich fails to realize that for many young children, the money to buy different items lies within Daddy’s wallet or Mommy’s purse. The Entertainment Software Rating Board (ESRB) rates these games and gives accurate descriptions to assist families and parents. Parents are able to see clear descriptions that detail the age appropriateness and also what potentially objectionable items a game entails. If the parents do not want their child to have such games, it is the parents’ responsibility to steer them towards a more age appropriate game. Even if Safe Games Illinois passes and the child wants an objectionable game, a parent can always purchase it for them thus making his law ineffectual.

Governor Blagojevich also states “When kids play, they should play like children, not like gangland assassins”. Mr. Governor, when a child is able to distinguish reality from fantasy, they can play these games and not go out to commit violent atrocities. Children have been playing ‘Cops and Robbers’ and ‘Cowboys and Indians’ for years. Are you seriously contending that government further polices the play habits of children? How far do you want to go with this policy? Focus on solving the problems real violence and real atrocities that unfortunately permeate our society instead of crusading against those perpetrated in a fantasy world on a television set.

Mr. Governor, please allow parents to make the choices that they feel are appropriate for their children. Parents, take the time to learn what your children are playing. Sit down with them and find out why they like playing certain games. Talk to them about why you may not like them playing certain games. Communicate – because it beats the government usurping your rights.