Sox Sign Gutierrez, Davis to the DL

Heads22

Knights still short `1 key aspect'

Last-place Charlotte's setbacks continue in 4th straight loss

CLIFF MEHRTENS

Staff Writer

FORT MILL - Pitcher Brandon McCarthy has been one of the few bright spots for the Charlotte Knights, the worst team in the Class AAA International League.

When he struggles, as he did Tuesday, it makes for an uphill battle.

McCarthy, 21, had a three-game winning streak snapped in a 5-4 loss to the Ottawa Lynx at Knights Stadium. The Knights (9-23) have lost four straight.

"It looked like he was overthrowing," manager Nick Leyva said. "He's got good enough stuff, a good enough fastball, without overthrowing. ... He's not going to be perfect every time. He's 21 years old; he was pitching in Kannapolis (Class A) this time last year. I think people forget about that. He's got a lot to learn, but he's going to be a good one."

McCarthy (3-3) leads the league with 50 strikeouts, and his seven Tuesday included at least one in all five innings. He allowed eight hits, including home runs by Tim Raines Jr. and Alejandro Freire, and walked three.

McCarthy's five earned runs matched the total he allowed in his past three starts. He threw eight scoreless innings in a win against Norfolk on Thursday.

"Brandon will learn from his mistakes," Leyva said. "That's the type of individual that succeeds, and fast. He'll take that into consideration next time he pitches. Not too often does he make the same mistake twice."

McCarthy left trailing 5-1. The Knights cut the lead to 5-4 on Raul Casanova's two-run double in the eighth, but Trace Coquillette flied out to end the inning.

The Knights began Tuesday last in the IL in batting average (.249), runs (118) and ERA (5.29). They're 4-12 at home.

"I'd be lying if I said it wasn't frustrating," outfielder Brian Anderson said. "We've been one key aspect away from tying the game or taking the lead."

"It's tough for people to realize right now, but I think we're going to turn it around. If we had guys who were washed up, or just here to fill spots, that wouldn't be the case. But we've got guys with legitimate big-league time, huge prospects, great defense, speed, power and pitching. It's just a matter of time. Something's not clicking, and that's the frustrating part."

Notes

The Chicago White Sox signed infielder Ricky Gutierrez, 34, and optioned him to Charlotte. ... Catcher Ben Davis (hand) was placed in the disabled list, and infielder Danny Leon was released after hitting .143 in four games.

White Sox signed infielder Ricky Gutierrez to a minor league contract and assigned him to Triple-A Charlotte.

Now they won't have to go back to Pedro Lopez next time they lose an infielder.

Not a bad signing, he would be better then Lopez.

Per RotoWorld.com

Edited by Whitesoxfan56

Wow, I so called this one...

http://www.soxtalk.com/forums/index.php?sh...ndpost&p=660439

Ricky Gutierrez is available...

http://mlb.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/mlb/transactions/index.jsp

4/5/05

Seattle Mariners

Released nonroster INF Ricky Gutierrez.

If Uribe is going to miss an extended period of time, I would take a flier on him. I don't think either Ozuna or Willie could handle the full-time shortstop duties.

Kenny listened to me!

Edited by Jabroni

QUOTE(Whitesoxfan56 @ May 11, 2005 -> 07:31 PM)
White Sox signed infielder Ricky Gutierrez to a minor league contract and assigned him to Triple-A Charlotte.

Now they won't have to go back to Pedro Lopez next time they lose an infielder.

Not a bad signing, he would be better then Lopez.

Per RotoWorld.com

This is a very good signing. Guitierez has also been a solid player.