meeting the players

C_LEE45

QUOTE(whitesox91403 @ May 16, 2005 -> 02:05 AM)
That makes no sense to me really. But they do let you in for visitor BP. :huh

This may be the ONLY benefit to going to the Deadly Confines to see the "City Series". You'd get to see the rare sight of Sox BP.

QUOTE(The Critic @ May 16, 2005 -> 02:24 AM)
This may be the ONLY benefit to going to the Deadly Confines to see the "City Series". You'd get to see the rare sight of Sox BP.

I'm going Friday. But, to be honest, I'm not really looking forward to it.

QUOTE(whitesox91403 @ May 16, 2005 -> 02:27 AM)
I'm going Friday. But, to be honest, I'm not really looking forward to it.

Ahhh, make the most of it anyway.

As long as you go in without an agenda to start s***, most Cubbie Kool-Aid drinkers will talk as much s*** about Baker and their bullpen as you will.

...oh, and avoid the piss trough if at all possible.... :D

QUOTE(The Critic @ May 16, 2005 -> 02:30 AM)
Ahhh, make the most of it anyway.

As long as you go in without an agenda to start s***, most Cubbie Kool-Aid drinkers will talk as much s*** about Baker and their bullpen as you will.

...oh, and avoid the piss trough if at all possible.... :D

I have no agaenda other than to watch The Sox. I'm going on a bus trip with my father in law and my brother in law, both Cubs fans. This was my Father's Day present. I hear a lot of crap about The "fans" at the confines that start s*** with guys in Sox gear. I'm kind of sweating that a bit though. Not that I can't handle myself, but I've been a cop for 6 years and really just don't want to deal with it. I deal with that s*** enough

QUOTE(whitesox91403 @ May 16, 2005 -> 03:35 AM)
I have no agaenda other than to watch The Sox. I'm going on a bus trip with my father in law and my brother in law, both Cubs fans. This was my Father's Day present. I hear a lot of crap about The "fans" at the confines that start s*** with guys in Sox gear. I'm kind of sweating that a bit though. Not that I can't handle myself, but I've been a cop for 6 years and really just don't want to deal with it. I deal with that s*** enough

Better bring your gun.

QUOTE(C_LEE45 @ May 15, 2005 -> 08:38 PM)
Going to the game tommorow night and its my sons  first game, iwas wondering if there is any helpful hints to see any players going into the stadium or is getting to BP the only way to meet players?thanks :gosox3:

If you can get to the game really early, and be there when the gates open, you may be able to catch the end of the Sox BP. There have been a few times I have gotten there that early, and I've always seen the last 15-20 minutes of BP.

After Texas BP while the Sox are doing sprints they usually come over to sign for those standing at the bottom of sections 142, 143, and 144. If you get there early enough go take a seat over there. Aaron and Pods have been signing every game and Paul usually after he stretches. Joe and Juan have been over there more lately also. Have fun..

QUOTE(LosMediasBlancas @ May 16, 2005 -> 10:37 AM)
Yep, unlike other teams, the Sox don't let you in to watch the Sox take bp. How long has this been the policy?....I heard a rumor, that it's at the request of a certain player, can anyone confirm this?

It's been like this for as long as I can remember. I've never heard of a player being to blame but this isn't something I've ever questioned. Who did you hear was to blame..?

QUOTE(Steff @ May 16, 2005 -> 03:46 PM)
It's been like this for as long as I can remember. I've never heard of a player being to blame but this isn't something I've ever questioned. Who did you hear was to blame..?

I seem to remember there was a time you could watch both teams take BP. I've always thought it was kinda lame and don't really understand why it's set up that way. :huh

I'd rather not name the player since if it is a rumor, I'd only be prepetuating it.

The gates open an hour and a half before the game. The visiting team always takes batting practice last. If you get there when the gates open you will only see the visiting team hit in just about every park in MLB. Several years ago the White Sox actually switched and hit last so the early arriving fans would see them take BP instead of the visiting team. That was ended because the players didn't like the change in routine. It was reported that it was ended because Frank Thomas didn't like it.

QUOTE(LosMediasBlancas @ May 16, 2005 -> 10:53 AM)
I seem to remember there was a time you could watch both teams take BP. I've always thought it was kinda lame and don't really understand why it's set up that way. :huh

I'd rather not name the player since if it is a rumor, I'd only be prepetuating it.

I remember sometimes catching the end of it.. but maybe 10 minutes or so. I think it's more because the Sox open the gates so late. Some parks open 2 hours before the game.. I never really went in so early unless it was to eat in the club.

Completely understand not wanting to name anyone.

QUOTE(Dick Allen @ May 16, 2005 -> 03:55 PM)
The gates open an hour and a half before the game. The visiting team always takes batting practice last. If you get there when the gates open you will only see the visiting team hit in just about every park in MLB. Several years ago the White Sox actually switched and hit last so the early arriving fans would see them take BP instead of the visiting team. That was ended because the players didn't like the change in routine. It was reported that it was ended because Frank Thomas didn't like it.

DING DING DING DING.

QUOTE(Dick Allen @ May 16, 2005 -> 10:55 AM)

From what you're saying they all didn't like the change..

QUOTE(Dick Allen @ May 16, 2005 -> 10:59 AM)
I don't know if it was everyone, but most of them, and in true Chicago media form it was all blamed on Frank.

Of course.. :rolly

BTW, how long ago was this..?