Too many blown leads?

jimb408

I was just wondering, we've had leads in 37 out of 38 games, we have 27 wins - that means that we have blown leads in 10 games this year. That's not very good. We should have at least 32 wins. :cheers Am I crazy for feeling this way?

QUOTE(jimb408 @ May 16, 2005 -> 03:05 PM)
I was just wondering, we've had leads in 37 out of 38 games, we have 27 wins - that means that we have blown leads in 10 games this year.  That's not very good. We should have at least 32 wins.    :cheers  Am I crazy for feeling this way?

Out of those leads I think 16 of them were gotten in the first inning, which means that we are up 1-0 a lot of times most likely. It isn't like we have blown 10 leads in the 9th inning... there is a big difference.

QUOTE(southsider2k5 @ May 16, 2005 -> 02:13 PM)
Out of those leads I think 16 of them were gotten in the first inning, which means that we are up 1-0 a lot of times most likely.  It isn't like we have blown 10 leads in the 9th inning... there is a big difference.

I think blown saves is a better indicator of whether we're costing ourselves games rather than looking at it in terms of number of leads blown overall. Thusfar I think we have 4 blown saves so actually JIMB408 wasn't far off in his statement that we should have 32 wins.

QUOTE(NUKE_CLEVELAND @ May 16, 2005 -> 04:18 PM)
I think blown saves is a better indicator of whether we're costing ourselves games rather than looking at it in terms of number of leads blown overall.  Thusfar I think we have 4 blown saves so actually JIMB408 wasn't far off in his statement that we should have 32 wins.

I still can't believe that run gagne had. we would have 32 wins if we had a healthy gagne rather than shingo :lol: Or if we would have used hermy a few extra times.

QUOTE(NUKE_CLEVELAND @ May 16, 2005 -> 04:18 PM)
I think blown saves is a better indicator of whether we're costing ourselves games rather than looking at it in terms of number of leads blown overall.  Thusfar I think we have 4 blown saves so actually JIMB408 wasn't far off in his statement that we should have 32 wins.

Closers only save about 80-85% of games... if you consider that a blown save can occur in the middle innings when a reliever is attempting to gain a "hold", the blown save % would be even lower, I'd guess 75% or less.

The White Sox are 1st in the AL in Saves.

1st in the AL in Save %

and 2nd in the AL in Holds.

I don't know how you can argue that they should be 5 wins better because of leads given up.

QUOTE(Gene Honda Civic @ May 16, 2005 -> 03:29 PM)
Closers only save about 80-85% of games... if you consider that a blown save can occur in the middle innings when a reliever is attempting to gain a "hold", the blown save % would be even lower, I'd guess 75% or less.

The White Sox are 1st in the AL in Saves.

1st in the AL in Save %

and 2nd in the AL in Holds.

I don't know how you can argue that they should be 5 wins better because of leads given up.

Good point about a BS occuring earlier in the game although I don't recall that happening to us this season. I wasn't complaining about a problem with BS's just pointing out that its a better stat to look at when talking about where we should be win wise as opposed to how many leads we've held overall.

QUOTE(LosMediasBlancas @ May 16, 2005 -> 04:44 PM)
I look at how many times we've beaten ourselves and think we should have 32 wins. I have yet to see a team totally dominate us to where you can say, ok that team is just better or more talented.

32-6 would be the best start in baseball history by about 3 games... THERE'S A REASON FOR THAT. You have to give credit to the other teams. These are major league clubs, and nobody wins at a .900 winning percentage.

Too many of you people are hittin' the sauce early in the day again. We are 2nd in the league in holds and people are suggesting we've blown too many leads?!?!?

Enjoy the run while its happening. We will eventually have real reasons to complain.

QUOTE(Gene Honda Civic @ May 16, 2005 -> 09:59 PM)
32-6 would be the best start in baseball history by about 3 games... THERE'S A REASON FOR THAT. You have to give credit to the other teams. These are major league clubs, and nobody wins at a .900 winning percentage.

I understand all of that and I stick to my opinion. It's not a complaint about our start, if anything it's a positive.

QUOTE(Dam8610 @ May 16, 2005 -> 10:28 PM)
One blown lead is too many, but the Sox have blown quite a few leads over the past 3 games. Hopefully, the next 2 will go in the "W" column, then we go pillage the North Side for another 3 in the "W" column!

Thats the spirit!!!!

:cheers

QUOTE(Gene Honda Civic @ May 16, 2005 -> 04:59 PM)

The 1984 Tigers went 35-5 to start the season.

QUOTE(nitetrain8601 @ May 16, 2005 -> 04:38 PM)
I think we should have 32 wins. Couple of those losses hurt. We can't have that many blown games, this early in the season.

The thing is you can go back and find just as many games where the other team choked and gave us games that we should not have won. It goes both ways. We could easily be .500 if you looked at it that way.

QUOTE(southsider2k5 @ May 17, 2005 -> 12:56 PM)
The thing is you can go back and find just as many games where the other team choked and gave us games that we should not have won.  It goes both ways.  We could easily be .500 if you looked at it that way.

You're so pessimistic. :finger