• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've pretty much already conceded him to Duke...We'll be alright without him as long as Weber lands one of his target guards.

Most importantly I'm gonna be glad that it's finally over so all parties can move on.

Edited by WHarris1

Any word on where it's being held? I should check it out and give you guys the early word. :P He's going to Duke 80%-20% right now IMO. I don't think it's as much of a lock as everyone says, but I think Duke is still way in the lead. Oh, and it's Scheyer.

Just out of curiousity...how many of you have seen him play?

Edited by danman31

QUOTE(danman31 @ May 16, 2005 -> 03:28 PM)
Any word on where it's being held? I should check it out and give you guys the early word. :P He's going to Duke 80%-20% right now IMO. I don't think it's as much of a lock as everyone says, but I think Duke is still way in the lead. Oh, and it's Scheyer.

Just out of curiousity...how many of you have seen him play?

*Raises Hand*. That dope shouldn't hold a press conference. Everyone, even in Illinois, know his plans. He's going to Duke. We all know that.

QUOTE(nitetrain8601 @ May 16, 2005 -> 04:36 PM)
*Raises Hand*. That dope shouldn't hold a press conference. Everyone, even in Illinois, know his plans. He's going to Duke. We all know that.

Scheyer will probably go to Duke, but he wants to get the process over with. There was an article in the Trib about him not wanting to talk about recruiting for a few days after taking a visit. If he knew it was Duke a while ago he would have said so earlier.

Don't be so sure. There is another prospect named Gerald Henderson that is making his decision on wednesday. Its widely speculated that he is choosing Duke also. That COULD have an effect on Scheyer. There have also been rumors that coach K asked Scheyer to hold off on his decision to not scare Henderson away. Kind of odd that Scheyer's p.c. is one day ahead of Henderson's though if that were the case.

Things are looking like its Duke though I will admit. It would be a breakthrough recruit for Weber if he chooses the Illini though. Scheyer should be worried about playing time at Duke with Pocious already at SG and Henderson locking up the SF spot when he arrives.

Don't ever count out Duke with white top 25 players, nothing racist here, its just like a magnet. It never works out for the player either.

Right on with that post. If playing time wasn't a factor Scheyer would be at Duke in a heartbeat IMO. Scheyer can be part of something big at Illinois and be one of the big reasons instead of a side attraction.

I told wharris this, if Scheyer goes to U of I, I think Sherron Collins is a lock for U of I as well. That's pure speculation and a hunch, but they are on the same AAU team and would be the starting backcourt of the future for U of I.

I wouldn't be suprised if that happened either. But even without Scheyer, the Illini are still looking very good for Sherron Collins. He would be a very nice pick-up. Scout has him as the 2nd best PG in the entire class behind on Tywon Lawson who just committed to UNC. Thats a heck of a compliment because this is going to be an amazing class.

QUOTE(Palehosefan @ May 16, 2005 -> 05:21 PM)
I wouldn't be suprised if that happened either. But even without Scheyer, the Illini are still looking very good for Sherron Collins. He would be a very nice pick-up. Scout has him as the 2nd best PG in the entire class behind on Tywon Lawson who just committed to UNC. Thats a heck of a compliment because this is going to be an amazing class.

Yeah, I'm thinking he's going to U of I anyway, but that will only sweeten the deal for him IMO.

Tell that to Mickey D's AA's Ricky Price, Casey Sanders, Sean Dockery, Taymon Domzalski, Nate James, Cherokee Parks, Shavlik Randolph, and even to a lesser extent Chris Duhon. Chris never came close to living up to his hype coming into Duke. He was a Mickey D's AA that dominated the 3 point shooting contest and played very well in the game leading Dick Vitale to utter "Jason Williams and Chris Duhon are the greatest backcourt in college history". The recent Illini elite recruits that I can remember are Brian Cook, Deron Williams, and Dee Brown. They are all doing nicely right now.

When you get the top recruiting class in the nation every other year, then you better be producing at a higher level than they are.

Edited by Palehosefan

As much as I love Jon Scheyer, I also love Marques Johnson, Richard Semrau, Brian Carlwell, Willie Kemp, Mike Conley, etc....

He will probably go to Duke, but we have plenty of other players just as good we are going after, and we will get ours in the class of 2006. IMO, I know I may take heat for saying it, but Scheyer is seen as such a big deal since it's Duke we are fighting for him, he plays for Bruce's brother, and finally, he's the "great white hope" if you will.

If we get him somehow, awesome, but if not, no need to worry.

Edited by whitesoxfan101

Scheyer is a big deal because he is the best player in Illinois in the class of 06. It's a test of how Illinois will be able to recruit off that amazing season they had in their own state. I suppose the thinking is that if Illinois can't get the best player in their own state after going 35-2 or whatever then they aren't going to stay as one of the elite teams in the country. I'm not saying I believe that, but it is what it is.

He broke my fukcing heart once in that 37-36 sectional game against Conant. I will admit he buckled under the pressure of our "Cougar Crazies" :P However, he has like a billion pct from the FT line and some of his layups were unreal.

He breaks my heart again, i break his legs.

QUOTE(danman31 @ May 16, 2005 -> 07:23 PM)
Scheyer is a big deal because he is the best player in Illinois in the class of 06. It's a test of how Illinois will be able to recruit off that amazing season they had in their own state. I suppose the thinking is that if Illinois can't get the best player in their own state after going 35-2 or whatever then they aren't going to stay as one of the elite teams in the country. I'm not saying I believe that, but it is what it is.

This is true, Scheyer is a very good player and I would love to see him as an Illini. But in reality wings are not that important for the '06 class and I think we have a chance at wings or taller PGs like Willie Kemp who could make just as much of an impact on the court. Scheyer is a big recruit for Weber based on perception more than what he actually may accomplish in college. As for the person who said Scheyer would be smart to choose Duke, the last couple Illinois players to attend Duke were Michael Thompson and Sean Dockery. Ask them how they feel about their decision to attend Duke now.

QUOTE(nitetrain8601 @ May 17, 2005 -> 01:43 AM)
Anyone think that the Illini's shot for Oden and Conley just went up with Ohio State possibly facing more self-sanctions and more probabtion time as there were 9 more violations NCAA investigators found against the basketball program including money given to players?

Nope. I don't.

"Hi, I'd like to thank you all for coming. I'd just like to say this was a really crazy process and it feels very good to have this decision over with. I feel very confident with my decision and I think it is what's best for my family and I. After months and months of deliberation my family and I have decided on Duke University."

QUOTE(nitetrain8601 @ May 17, 2005 -> 12:43 AM)
Anyone think that the Illini's shot for Oden and Conley just went up with Ohio State possibly facing more self-sanctions and more probabtion time as there were 9 more violations NCAA investigators found against the basketball program including money given to players?

Conley - 5% chance of coming here

Oden - 0.05% chance of coming here

So nope I dont see a change...

QUOTE(southsider2k5 @ May 17, 2005 -> 08:29 AM)
Isn't Oden pretty sold on IU?

Last I had heard Oden is heavily favoring OSU...Hes also looking at Wake Forest and Indiana. For some reason hes kinda following Conley around waiting to see what he is goin to do even though Oden is the #1 guy in the class. There is also a chance he could jump to the NBA but both him and his 'camp' continue to guarantee he will attend college.

IU has a shot at him but alot depends on where/when Conley picks a school, what kind of violations OSU gets ruled on them come July. Also if some other school starts goin hard at him (I've heard rumors of UNC and MSU increasing their interest level), it could hurt IU's chances even more.

Notice that I never mentioned Illinois once yet there are still a number of orange kool-aid drinkers thinking hes coming here

QUOTE(danman31 @ May 16, 2005 -> 07:23 PM)

Actually, he's not even the best guard in the state, that honor would go to Sherron Collins of Crane Tech, and come 1 year from now, 6'10 big man and freak athlete Brian Carlwell of Proviso East will probably be higher thought of than Scheyer (and Illinois has a great shot of getting both of these guys) but point well taken nonetheless.

QUOTE(southsider2k5 @ May 17, 2005 -> 09:29 AM)
Isn't Oden pretty sold on IU?

No, he and Conley are both have been favoring Wake and OSU. And unless an age limit gets passes Oden will not play college ball because he will be the #1 pick and you have to be stupid to pass that up.