Do we move Garland up?

LostInBoston

QUOTE(LostInBoston @ May 17, 2005 -> 10:42 AM)
After seeing El Duque his past few outings, I'm starting to wonder whether or not we shouldn't move Garland up a day or two in the rotation. What do you guys think? If yes, when do we have a couple off days in order to do so?

More like you've seen his last outing. His outing before that he was good. He's given us a chance to win in every outing but his last. So no, you leave Garland where he has excelled for now. Don't mess with him and the rest of your staff. And I don't know why the hell people are so hell bent on breaking up El Duque and Contreras, they have done fine(even for #3 and 4 starters). Compare ERA and Wins with the other 3 and 4 pitchers in the AL and they aren't at the bottom. The rotation is fine. This rotation won't have everyone having an ERA below 3. Hell, not everyone is going to have an ERA below 4. Deal with it guys. Too many guys here are in panic mode with the starting staff. Guys have rough outings throughout the year.

Edited by nitetrain8601

QUOTE(Punch and Judy Garland @ May 17, 2005 -> 11:19 AM)
With the off day on Thursday you could move him up by having him go today and Sunday

You don't need to. He's excelled in the 5 spot. The problem is with the hitting, not pitching. Guys have had their bad outings. Your whole staff isn't going to go through a season without bad outings. That's impossible. Leave Garland and 5 and everyone else where they are.

Edited by nitetrain8601

QUOTE(nitetrain8601 @ May 17, 2005 -> 11:22 AM)
You don't need to. He's excelled in the 5 spot. The problem is with the hitting, not pitching. Guys have had their bad outings. Your whole staff isn't going to go through a season without bad outings. That's impossible. Leave Garland and 5 and everyone else where they are.

At this point in the season the "#5 spot" doesn't mean anything. Everyone is a #1.

I'd like to see someone (Jon or Mark) in between the Cuban Connection.

QUOTE(kane0730 @ May 17, 2005 -> 10:35 AM)
At this point in the season the "#5 spot" doesn't mean anything.  Everyone is a #1.

I'd like to see someone (Jon or Mark) in between the Cuban Connection.

I agree totally. I can't stand this "Starter number" junk that people seem to put some much time in. If your starter is a number "5" starter, half the time he'll probably end up facing the other team's number 1 starter, depending on how many rain-outs and double headers each team has. Paying attention to the "Number" of the starter after opening day just wastes my time.

Garland probably should split up the Cubans for the bullpen's sake, because right now John is pulling in more innings than Garcia, Contreras, or El Duque. If Garland is going 7 or 8, he'll give the pen a day of rest in the middle. I think that's a good idea.

QUOTE(kapkomet @ May 17, 2005 -> 12:15 PM)
Umm.

NO.

Why mess with a good thing?  W's are W's.

The only thing that concerns me is that Count and Duque go back to back. They have been requiring the most innings out of the bullpen. It would be better if the bullpen wouldn't have to go heavy innings on back to back nights. If there's ever a time where we can split those up for the sake of the bullpen, I'd be for it.

QUOTE(RockRaines @ May 17, 2005 -> 01:21 PM)
We have 3 of the top five pitchers in the AL in the wins category, I see no reason to move.  How much difference is it going to make?? He can say he is no longer the 5th starter??  HE said it best, I was only 5th one time this year.

Who cares what number is what? I'm not worried about that. I just think it'd be beneficial for the arms in our pen if the people that don't pitch as many innings (Count and Duque) were to be split up at some time. I don't think anything could be done until the ASB anyways.

when we get an extra day off, it might not be a bad idea to move garland up a start, just because him and Contreras haven't been able to go as long. otherwise, it won't be an issue until September and October, when play-off rotations (hopefully) will be being set.

QUOTE(greasywheels121 @ May 17, 2005 -> 06:26 PM)
Who cares what number is what?  I'm not worried about that.  I just think it'd be beneficial for the arms in our pen if the people that don't pitch as many innings (Count and Duque) were to be split up at some time.  I don't think anything could be done until the ASB anyways.

I see where you're coming from, but I wouldn't tinker with anything too much. Maybe at the All-Star break if everyone else is coming back rested go ahead and switch it up, have El Duque pitch 3 and Contreras 5, that would work. I wouldn't mess too much though during times when we don't have a few days off.

Having a pitcher throw on Tuesday and Sunday is not messing with a guy. That's what most starters do. I can't for the life of me figure why people think moving Garland up one slot is goign to rock the boat. Plus as a side bonus there is the fact that Judy would get to pitch in the weekend series instead of on Monday at Anaheim....

No need to change anything. El Duque had a bad outing where he left everything high in the zone against a very good hitting team...that happens from time to time

The pitching lost us the game last night but the bigger problems on this team are Cruddy swinging for the fences out of his zone, Paulie being the 2003 Paulie, Dye = Dead, Willie Harris deciding to try hitting HRs almost every other at bat and Timo Freaking Perez trying to hit a bunt single in most at bats or trying to hit a HR every other time he is not trying to bunt

Well if the number slots are garbage, than that just adds to my point that there is no reason to move up. Garland is our number 1 today. Tommorow it's Mark, next is Freddy. Simply no need to move him. No need to break up the Cuban Connection because both of them have been pitching better than expectations.

QUOTE(nitetrain8601 @ May 17, 2005 -> 01:12 PM)
Well if the number slots are garbage, than that just adds to my point that there is no reason to move up. Garland is our number 1 today. Tommorow it's Mark, next is Freddy. Simply no need to move him. No need to break up the Cuban Connection because both of them have been pitching better than expectations.

Even if their pitching better than expectations, they're still averaging about 6.5 innings pitched per start. Garland is averaging better than 7.5, and so is Mark. That means that our bullpen is getting more use in the games pitched by the Cubans, and since they're pitching back to back, that means our pen is being taxed 2 nights in a row.

By inserting Garland/Buehrle between them, you get on average an extra inning out of yoru starter, and you make it less likely that your bullpen has to go multiple innings on consecutive nights, thus making it so that your pen is fresher when they are needed to hold games started by the Cubans.

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ May 17, 2005 -> 03:21 PM)
Even if their pitching better than expectations, they're still averaging about 6.5 innings pitched per start.  Garland is averaging better than 7.5, and so is Mark.  That means that our bullpen is getting more use in the games pitched by the Cubans, and since they're pitching back to back, that means our pen is being taxed 2 nights in a row.

By inserting Garland/Buehrle between them, you get on average an extra inning out of yoru starter, and you make it less likely that your bullpen has to go multiple innings on consecutive nights, thus making it so that your pen is fresher when they are needed to hold games started by the Cubans.

Excellent post. That's what I was trying to say. I have no problem with the results we've gotten out of the Cubans, but they just don't go as deep into games.

QUOTE(UofIChiSox @ May 17, 2005 -> 02:10 PM)
I see where you're coming from, but I wouldn't tinker with anything too much.  Maybe at the All-Star break if everyone else is coming back rested go ahead and switch it up, have El Duque pitch 3 and Contreras 5, that would work.  I wouldn't mess too much though during times when we don't have a few days off.

If we wait till the break.. our pen might be shot.

QUOTE(Steff @ May 17, 2005 -> 08:45 PM)
If we wait till the break.. our pen might be shot.

You think? There for a while they weren't getting in a whole lot of work. The last week, they've gotten busy. I hope Johnny and Mark can keep it up (eating up innings).

QUOTE(kapkomet @ May 17, 2005 -> 04:13 PM)
You think?  There for a while they weren't getting  in a whole lot of work.  The last week, they've gotten busy.  I hope Johnny and Mark can keep it up (eating up innings).

Are you being sarcastic Kap...??

I think it's a good idea to move John or Mark in the middle of 3 & 4. At this point it makes no difference.

I hope they keep eating as well.. any wagers one who hits 242 IP first... ;)

QUOTE(Steff @ May 17, 2005 -> 02:18 PM)
Are you being sarcastic Kap...??

I think it's a good idea to move John or Mark in the middle of 3 & 4. At this point it makes no difference.

I hope they keep eating as well.. any wagers one who hits 242 IP first...  ;)

This year, I seriously doubt that we'll have anyone come close to 242 IP. One of the reasons Mark was so high in IP last year was that for a big chunk of our season, our 5th starter was Mr. "Off Day." In other words...MB almost never got to go on 5 or 6 days rest - he was ALWAYS on 4 days rest.

This year, we have 5 legitimate starting pitchers, along with at least 1 backup starting pitcher sitting in AAA. In other words, when there's an off day, the pitchers should actually get an extra day of rest. There shouldn't be much of the ol' 5th starter = off day stuff that we've had to do.

This'll probably cost MB a start or two during the year, but on the other hand, it gets all of our guys more rest, so when Sept. comes around, maybe they're a bit more ready to go than previous years.