Star Wars

Chisoxfn

QUOTE(Yoda @ May 22, 2005 -> 04:27 PM)
You know what scene got the audience laughing? When Yoda takes care of the Emperor's guards with just a single push of the force. That was FANTASTIC!

Yeah, that was great. While we are getting into spoilers, the Yoda-Sidious fight was rather disappointing. As powerful as they both are it should have been better. The Dooku-Yoda fight of Episode 2 was better IMO.

And why did Sidious continue to use the force when Windu had the lightsabre blocking right back at him? I suggested to my friends that he was losing intentionally to get Anakin to defend him and switch but they said Windu was really that powerful.

Why did Obewon just leave Anakin there? Wouldn't he have finished the job? It would have been better if Sidious or some storm troopers came in to save the day. He would have finished his job. And how did Anakin go from being on fire to singed rather quickly? Wouldn't he continue to burn?

Overall, there were some things that struck me as odd, but I loved the movie.

• Replies 159
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(greasywheels121 @ May 22, 2005 -> 08:16 PM)
The thing I found funny about these last 2 prequels.  Yoda's such an old alien, or whatever the hell he is.  He needs a cane, just so he can hobble around.  However, when he's fighting, he goes CRAZY!  I guess it's just the force.

Yeah, that was intentional.

SPOILERS

I dont know if anyone else understood this part besides me but at the end where Yoda tells Obi wan that Qui Gon has made contact from the dead and he will teach him how, that is how he talks to Luke in 4,5 and 6. I was the only one out of my group that understood that.

And the best yoda line was somethin like

Not if anything to say about it, i have

QUOTE(Cy Garland @ May 22, 2005 -> 10:15 PM)
SPOILERS

I dont know if anyone else understood this part than me but at the end where Yoda tells Obi wan that Qui Gon has made contact from the dead and he will teach him how, that is how he talks to Luke in 4,5 and 6. I was the only one out of my group that understood that.

I got that too. That's why I watched A New Hope the day after, lol.

QUOTE(Cy Garland @ May 22, 2005 -> 10:15 PM)
SPOILERS

I dont know if anyone else understood this part than me but at the end where Yoda tells Obi wan that Qui Gon has made contact from the dead and he will teach him how, that is how he talks to Luke in 4,5 and 6. I was the only one out of my group that understood that.

No, you weren't the only one. It was a really good way to segue into a new manifestation of the Force (communing from beyond) that was nowhere to be seen in Eps I/II/III but then is front and center in New Hope and later. I thought it was well done. It also goes a long way to explaining why Obi Wan stops fighting and takes on a meditative posture right before vader strikes him down in Hope, as he probably had to get in the right mindset to direct his will/spirit to whatever existence it had to take on to be able to speak to Luke later.

Now, what I didn't much like at the end of Sith – from a continuity standpoint – was seeing Vader and the Emperor together on the ship bridge watching the Death Star being constructed. Vader being basically the right hand guy during the construction flies in the face of his, "Don't be to proud of this technological terror you've created..." rant to the generals in Ep IV. Not a big deal I guess, but as much as Lucas puts the continuity cops on all teh writers doing novels and comics and such, he could spend a little more time worrying about continuity himself.

QUOTE(FlaSoxxJim @ May 22, 2005 -> 10:30 PM)
I could be wrong but I thought that was the timeframe to be covered in the 2006 television installments.

That would be awesome. I know they had cartoons called "Clone Wars" for the time between 2 and 3. They definitely need something to cover the time from 3 to 4 because it's the largest gap from one movie to the next.

QUOTE(FlaSoxxJim @ May 22, 2005 -> 10:28 PM)
  It also goes a long way to explaining why Obi Wan stops fighting and takes on a meditative posture right before vader strikes him down in Hope, as he probably had to get in the right mindset to direct his will/spirit to whatever existence it had to take on to be able to speak to Luke later.

And i only remember this cus i watched Phantom Menace yesterday but when Qui Gon is fighting Maul the red sheld thing comes up and Qui Gon kneels down and meditates for a few minutes while maul walks back and forth, then the thing opens and he starts fighting but dies. So that would go with the mindset thing.

QUOTE(FlaSoxxJim @ May 22, 2005 -> 09:28 PM)
Now, what I didn't much like at the end of Sith – from a continuity standpoint – was seeing Vader and the Emperor together on the ship bridge watching the Death Star being constructed.  Vader being basically the right hand guy during the construction flies in the face of his, "Don't be to proud of this technological terror you've created..." rant to the generals in Ep IV.  Not a big deal I guess, but as much as Lucas puts the continuity cops on all teh writers doing novels and comics and such, he could spend a little more time worrying about continuity himself.

The whole Death Star thing conflicts with a number of stories produced about its designer, Bevel Lemelisk. These stories were released by Lucas himself (or LucasArts for a number of video games, etc). Basically Lucas just ripped up some canon, which is stupid.

QUOTE(danman31 @ May 22, 2005 -> 01:46 PM)
Yeah, that was great. While we are getting into spoilers, the Yoda-Sidious fight was rather disappointing. As powerful as they both are it should have been better. The Dooku-Yoda fight of Episode 2 was better IMO.

And why did Sidious continue to use the force when Windu had the lightsabre blocking right back at him? I suggested to my friends that he was losing intentionally to get Anakin to defend him and switch but they said Windu was really that powerful.

Why did Obewon just leave Anakin there? Wouldn't he have finished the job? It would have been better if Sidious or some storm troopers came in to save the day. He would have finished his job. And how did Anakin go from being on fire to singed rather quickly? Wouldn't he continue to burn?

Overall, there were some things that struck me as odd, but I loved the movie.

A couple of my friends who were really into it said Windu is supposed to be the best swordsman of all the jedi while yoda had the best mastery of the force. So I think it was more Windu being that good.

Of course I thought the same thing you did...they want on to call me a moron...I called them dorks :lol:

QUOTE(Cy Garland @ May 22, 2005 -> 07:15 PM)
SPOILERS

I dont know if anyone else understood this part besides me but at the end where Yoda tells Obi wan that Qui Gon has made contact from the dead and he will teach him how, that is how he talks to Luke in 4,5 and 6. I was the only one out of my group that understood that.

And the best yoda line was somethin like

Not if anything to say about it, i have

Ya, that part was pretty badass.

QUOTE(Cy Garland @ May 22, 2005 -> 07:27 PM)
I hope they make an episode 3.5  :P

ROFL, you'll be in luck. I think the TV show Lucas is planning on doing will be set between episodes 3 and 4. Not positive on that though. Only other hting it would be would be set after episode 6 when Luke is tempted by the darkside and than goes good again.

QUOTE(Yoda @ May 22, 2005 -> 04:27 PM)
It really was kind of bad.  :lol:

You know what scene got the audience laughing? When Yoda takes care of the Emperor's guards with just a single push of the force. That was FANTASTIC!

Also at the beginning when a bad guy kicks over R2D2 like he was a garbage can, that was funny as hell too.

One more continuity nitpick: Remember when Leia tells Luke she remembers her mother was very beautiful but sad all the time? I'm pretty sure the original meaning of this was that Leia remembered her birth mother. Yet, we see in Episode III that there is no way Leia could remember Padme. What gives George?

QUOTE(Wedge @ May 22, 2005 -> 10:55 PM)
The whole Death Star thing conflicts with a number of stories produced about its designer, Bevel Lemelisk.  These stories were released by Lucas himself (or LucasArts for a number of video games, etc).  Basically Lucas just ripped up some canon, which is stupid.

Is your name from "Empire?" I've been watching the old ones again, just to see what I pick up on now. I noticed in the Hoth battles, there's a pilot named Wedge.

QUOTE(DonkeyKongerko @ May 23, 2005 -> 12:57 AM)
One more continuity nitpick: Remember when Leia tells Luke she remembers her mother was very beautiful but sad all the time?  I'm pretty sure the original meaning of this was that Leia remembered her birth mother.  Yet, we see in Episode III that there is no way Leia could remember Padme.  What gives George?

I'm sure you are right about the original intent. But I can see Senator Organas' wife being pretty much a sad sack while Leia grows up with the Republic falling apart around them too.

Edited by FlaSoxxJim

QUOTE(greasywheels121 @ May 23, 2005 -> 01:30 AM)
Is your name from "Empire?"  I've been watching the old ones again, just to see what I pick up on now.  I noticed in the Hoth battles, there's a pilot named Wedge.

Wedge was the only monor character in all three of the original films. He was part of the original Rebel X-Wing fighter group gunning for the Death Star in Hope, was in the Hoth battle as you said, and was part of the final attack on the new Death Star in Jedi. He's the guy in the orange pilot suit partying down with everyone and the Ewoks in the final scene of Jedi.

His last name is Antilles, so I assume there is a familial tie in to Captain Antilles who took over ownership of C3P0 and R2D2 between Sith and Hope.

QUOTE(FlaSoxxJim @ May 23, 2005 -> 05:14 AM)
Wedge was the only monor character in all three of the original films.  He was part of the original Rebel X-Wing fighter group gunning for the Death Star in Hope, was in the Hoth battle as you said, and was part of the final attack on the new Death Star in Jedi.  He's the guy in the orange pilot suit partying down with everyone and the Ewoks in the final scene of Jedi.

His last name is Antilles, so I assume there is a familial tie in to Captain Antilles who took over ownership of C3P0 and R2D2 between Sith and Hope.

As you can tell by my avatar, my name does in fact come from the pilot Wedge Antilles, who appears in all of the original episodes. Wedge, however is not related to Captain Antilles as Wedge is from Corellia and Captain is from Alderaan. I guess Antilles is a common cross-cultural last name in the Star Wars universe. There is another character named Bail Antilles who proceeds Bail Organa as the senator from Alderaan during Phantom Menace.

A piece of interesting trivia is that the actor who plays Wedge, Dennis Lawson, is the uncle of Ewan McGregor.

QUOTE(DonkeyKongerko @ May 22, 2005 -> 11:57 PM)
One more continuity nitpick: Remember when Leia tells Luke she remembers her mother was very beautiful but sad all the time?  I'm pretty sure the original meaning of this was that Leia remembered her birth mother.  Yet, we see in Episode III that there is no way Leia could remember Padme.  What gives George?

When Leia tells Luke about her "mother," I'm quite sure she was referring to her "adoptive mother" since, at the time this was said, neither Luke, Leia, Vader..... nor the audience for that matter, knew that Luke or Leia were brother and sister and that Vader was their father.