Big trade coming for the Flubs?

Jabroni

"Bruce Levine Says Big Trade Coming...."

http://www.northsidebaseball.com/Forum/viewtopic.php?t=21147

Bruce, on am 1000 says a 4 player deal involving a middle reliever and a power hitting OF could be coming in the next 2 days. In exchange, we would send an OF and a reliever of our own, as well as 2 prospects.

So it looks like the Flubs could be trading either Jason Dubois OR Korey Patterson, LaChoke Hawkins, and 2 prospects. Those would be my guesses.

Edited by Jabroni

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Who do they get?

The Flubby fans speculate who it could be in the thread. Someone also posted about the possible trade at the Flubs MLB.com board...

"Possible major deal?"

http://www.forums.mlb.com/n/mb/message.asp...=155088.1&ctx=0

For those of you who missed it, Bruce Levine was on ESPN 1000 with Carmen & Silvy earlier this morning, and casually mentioned that JIm Hendry is working on a major trade. He did not mention who might be leaving, but he said it would bring the Cubs a left-handed hitter and a middle reliever.

Levine also added that the other team is asking for the exact same thing in return. My guess is Hawkins is the reliever on his way out of town.

Levine said the two teams are in the process of scouting each other's minor league systems.

My guess -- Aubrey Huff and Danny Baez, but Baez is a closer not a "middle reliever" so I am probably wrong.

Edited by Jabroni

Guest JimH

Off the top of my head ... Detroit Tigers?

Higginson and Urbina, with a bad contract(s) and prospects going back the other way?

Off the top of my head ... Detroit Tigers?

Higginson and Urbina, with a bad contract(s) and prospects going back the other way?

Wow, if Hendry traded Dubois OR Patterson, a reliever, and 2 prospects for those two guys, Flubs fans would be jumping off rooftops. Higginson is currently on the DL for the Tigers so I don't see that trade happening.

Edited by Jabroni

Guest JimH

Cubs management appears to be somewhat frustrated with Patterson, so he could get traded. Hollandsworth is another option but he'd be more a throw in type.

Dubois is an OF other teams might want.

Relievers ... I could see them parting with any of their younger middle relief guys like Wuertz, Wellmeyer, etc. and it's logical they'd be willing to trade LaTroy but his contract is huge.

Would also not be surprised to see the Cubs dump Hairston, other teams like him but he doesn't seem to fit with Baker.

Cubs do have a lot of prospects, especially at AA, which could be the key to any deal.

Still thinking about who the other team might be ... it's too early for the Pirates to help the Cubs out, LOL. Edit, maybe Tampa but they're loaded with OF guys and I can't see them wanting to add one in trade, but no doubt the Cubs would be interested in Baez.

Edited by JimH

With it now still 5-6 weeks from Percy's return, I can't see the Tigers, who aren't raising white flags yet, moving Ugie. Unless they feel Farnsworth or German can do the job I guess. I just don't see the Flubs moving Patterson. I think it will be a Dubois and Hawkins combo with prospects for Geoff Jenkins and Mike Adams. I know the Brewers have had interest in Lachoke so this is my official guess.

With it now still 5-6 weeks from Percy's return, I can't see the Tigers, who aren't raising white flags yet, moving Ugie. Unless they feel Farnsworth or German can do the job I guess. I just don't see the Flubs moving Patterson. I think it will be a Dubois and Hawkins combo with prospects for Geoff Jenkins and Mike Adams. I know the Brewers have had interest in Lachoke so this is my official guess.

Why would two teams in the same division that are very close to each other in the standings make a trade with each other? Not gonna happen.

Edited by Jabroni

Brewers wanted to get hawkins in a trade before the season, that is why

That's great but it isn't going to happen now. Not with the Brewers ahead of the Cubs in the standings.

By the way, I never heard any rumors of the Brewers wanting LaTroy Hawkins in the offseason.

here it is, actually it was fresh in mymind because I just saw it from Rosenthal the other day:

The Braves weren't the only team that wanted to acquire closer Dan Kolb last winter. The Cubs also were heavily interested but resisted the Brewers' demands for RHP LaTroy Hawkins and either RHP Jon Leicester or RHP Michael Wuertz because they wanted to pair Hawkins and Kolb in their bullpen. The Brewers liked Hawkins because they could keep him through 2006 for $3.5 million per season. Kolb, represented by Scott Boras, had two more years of arbitration. He's now a $3.4 million setup man for Atlanta. . . .

Not saying that it will happen, just a guess. With Levine, there may not even be a trade to speak of.

Guest JimH
Got a link?  If you do, I will believe it.

I don't have a link but I have lots of friends in Brewtown who follow the Brewers closely. They've commented that last winter Brewer mgmt. inquired about just about every reliever that might be available before making the trade w/Atlanta.

Absolutely agree that them dealing with the Cubs is very very remote. Especially now.

I don't have a link but I have lots of friends in Brewtown who follow the Brewers closely.  They've commented that last winter Brewer mgmt. inquired about just about every reliever that might be available before making the trade w/Atlanta.

Absolutely agree that them dealing with the Cubs is very very remote.  Especially now.

Agreed. The Brewers aren't going to give up Mike Adams to get LaTroy Hawkins. Adams has been better and doesn't have a big contract like Hawkins.

here it is, actually it was fresh in mymind because I just saw it from Rosenthal the other day:

The Braves weren't the only team that wanted to acquire closer Dan Kolb last winter. The Cubs also were heavily interested but resisted the Brewers' demands for RHP LaTroy Hawkins and either RHP Jon Leicester or RHP Michael Wuertz because they wanted to pair Hawkins and Kolb in their bullpen. The Brewers liked Hawkins because they could keep him through 2006 for $3.5 million per season. Kolb, represented by Scott Boras, had two more years of arbitration. He's now a $3.4 million setup man for Atlanta. . . .

Not saying that it will happen, just a guess. With Levine, there may not even be a trade to speak of.

Wow, the Brewers actually WANTED LaChoke? How dumb are they? :lol:

Speaking of Kolb, maybe the Braves would trade Andruw Jones and Danny Kolb for Patterson, Remlinger, and prospects? Kolb is in the Braves doghouse and they have moved him to middle relief now. And the Braves have been wanting to dump Jones' big contract. :huh

Edited by Jabroni

If the Cubs trade Patterson, they are going to have to get a CF in return, unless with Walker coming back, they want to play Jerry Hairston Jr. there full-time. That would mean Hollandsworth and Dubois would get very little playing time.

Burnitz and Hollandsworth can play CF. Hairston can play some CF as well.

Edited by Jabroni

Guest JimH
If the Cubs trade Patterson, they are going to have to get a CF in return, unless with Walker coming back, they want to play Jerry Hairston Jr. there full-time. That would mean Hollandsworth and Dubois would get very little playing time.

Yes, probably a stop gap guy because they think Felix Pie is coming on fast.

I can't imagine that it would be Dunn and Graves in the deal. I don't see why the Reds would trade Dunn, he's got a ton of power and he's fairly cheap. That'd take some monster prospects, and I don't think they have them. Graves and the Reds makes sense though. Maybe Griffey? If the Cubs ate the money I could see it, but I'm not sure they would do that. Kearns or Pena would make more sense, but they aren't lefties. Huff and Baez definitely makes sense unfortunately. I'd hate to see that because it would actually be a good move. The problem with that though is they wouldn't want OF's in return with guys like Crawford, Baldelli coming back, and some solid prospects like Delmon Young, and Upton potentially switching positions. So basically, I don't really see where the rumor fits.

Can anyone confirm that Levine really reported this?

There were 2 sources that said it, NorthSideBaseball.com (a reputable Flubs site) and the Cubs MLB.com message board. I guess CLTV was saying over the weekend that Corey Patterson could be traded as soon as the All-Star break.

Edited by Jabroni