Big trade coming for the Flubs?

Jabroni

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(HSC's Biggest Fan @ May 23, 2005 -> 01:18 PM)
How about the Twins, Jacque Jones and the steroid fellow for Hawkins, Patterson or Dubois and cash???????

That's a good thought. I know there were talks during the off-season about Jones going to the cubs.

Danny Graves was designated for assignment today. I sorta buy the twins theory. There is obviously a working relationship dating back to the Nomar trade since both the Cubs and twins were involved and Andy Macfail being with the Cubs and Lee Macphail (not anymore though) being from the Twins org. Jackie Jones and a reliever would seem to fit if the Cubs were willing to pay Jones and a little bit of Choke's salary. I guess that Jenkins, Lawton, and Jones are the only guys I can think of who qualify under the left-handed OF label if that is in fact accurate

Guest JimH
Danny Graves was designated for assignment today. I sorta buy the twins theory. There is obviously a working relationship dating back to the Nomar trade since both the Cubs and twins were involved and Andy Macfail being with the Cubs and Lee Macphail (not anymore though) being from the Twins org. Jackie Jones and a reliever would seem to fit if the Cubs were willing to pay Jones and a little bit of Choke's salary. I guess that Jenkins, Lawton, and Jones are the only guys I can think of who qualify under the left-handed OF label if that is in fact accurate

Now you're cookin', the Twins thing makes sense. Cubs were interested in Jones and the Twins didn't want to lose Hawkins. And yes, the working relationship between the two teams is a good one. Plus the Twins always have yet another OF they're ready to plug in.

The only issue is $$$, Cubs will need to do something in terms of LaTroy's contract, if and when he goes somewhere. Although now that I think of it, a lot of his contract is incentives when he closes games. If he goes back to Minny, he won't be closing any games.

http://www.northsidebaseball.com/Forum/vie...r=asc&start=255

My brother was listening to Jeff Dickerson and Mike Ogulnick on ESPN 1000 and he said that one of them talked to Bruce Levine and gets the impression that its Dunn or Griffey and Dave Weathers for DuBois (not Patterson) and a young reliever (ala Wuertz, Wellemeyer or Leicester).
I agree that that's not much for Dunn, who has one year left of arbitration, but I believe cash considerations are what is holding the deal up. Apparently Levine said the deal is all but complete. The only things holding it up would be Walker coming back or negotiations. The Cubs and Reds are probably passing $ numbers back and forth or else negotiating which prospect(s) the Reds get in return. I could see a Brownlie-type being included to make this work.

I doubt they could get Adam Dunn that cheaply but I could see the Reds wanting to dump Griffey's salary.

Edited by Jabroni

It would seem Bradley is too good to trade unless the deal were to involve a starting pitcher to replace scott erickson, but the Cubs aren't really in a position to do so. Maybe if they pay a very high price they could nab Bradley and Brazoban but that would seem to involve dealing someone or something they wouldn't want to part with. Maybe Matt Lawton though. He might make sense for them. Ah hell, it's pointless no matter who they get

reds wouldnt be dumb enough to give up Dunn would they? Sure he Ks a lot, and his average isnt high, but hes young and that power he has is not something you can teach and also not present in most players. Id be pissed if the Scrubs got Dunn.

I guarantee that the Reds don't trade Dunn to a team in their own division.  If anything, Dunn would be the last OF they'd be willing to give up.  Jason Dubois and some lame reliever will not be enough to get him.

The Pirates traded Aramis Ramirez to the Cubs. The Reds and the Pirates are perennial cellar-dwellars in the N.L. Central. I doubt they would trade Dunn to the Cubs but I could see them wanting to dump Griffey's contract and would trade him to the Cubs.

griffey makes pefect sense actually. I talked to some people in cinci today and he claims they are seriously shopping griffey. They can't find anyone, but this makes real good sense. Especially with graves designated for assignment. Reds like young cheap players.

QUOTE(Jabroni @ May 24, 2005 -> 01:24 AM)
The Pirates traded Aramis Ramirez to the Cubs.  The Reds and the Pirates are perennial cellar-dwellars in the N.L. Central.  I doubt they would trade Dunn to the Cubs but I could see them wanting to dump Griffey's contract and would trade him to the Cubs.

Dunn is well-liked w/the Reds, while Aramis was hated by everyone in Pittsburgh. The Pitt organization thought Aramis was a cancer, and couldn't wait to get rid of him. That's the main reason that they were willing to get rid of him for less than market value.

QUOTE(Jabroni @ May 24, 2005 -> 10:11 AM)
Cubs fans seem to think it is Adam Dunn and Danny Graves.  They will be happy that it's Billy Wagner but will be pissed they aren't getting Adam Dunn.

The Cubs need Wagner more than they need Dunn. If they are indeed getting Wager they just need to STFU and thank Jim Hendry.