Big trade coming for the Flubs?

Jabroni

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(Jabroni @ May 24, 2005 -> 09:11 AM)
Cubs fans seem to think it is Adam Dunn and Danny Graves.  They will be happy that it's Billy Wagner but will be pissed they aren't getting Adam Dunn.

Hahaha, they are talking on northside baseball that you started that rumor......

All the fans seem to think they are getting Dunn, I have a word to the wise for cubs fans, Dunn+Burnitz=most strikeouts in the league. Nothing you dont want more than 2 players who strike out the most in the MLB. So much for OBP.......

QUOTE(Kalapse @ May 24, 2005 -> 03:55 PM)
What about Eric Byrnes from the A's? I know that they were shopping him in the offseason. Couldn't he be a possibility.

The A's have been shopping Byrnes, and have almost traded him before(I believe he was rumored to go to Zona and the Mets).

And to add on to that point, the Cubs were also very interested in Dotel too.

To take away from that, Oakland is not in the NL

There are about a million possibilities out there, so someone on here will get it right

QUOTE(Punch and Judy Garland @ May 24, 2005 -> 04:42 PM)
what do K's have to do with obp? Dunn has always had a great obp

Yup. He could strike out 180 times, but walk 130 times, and end up w/ an obp close to .400. That guy is on the top of my freak hitters list.

QUOTE(jackie hayes @ May 24, 2005 -> 04:17 PM)
Yup.  He could strike out 180 times, but walk 130 times, and end up w/ an obp close to .400.  That guy is on the top of my freak hitters list.

dunn isnt that good, but id rather have him than dye

QUOTE(Mr. Showtime @ May 24, 2005 -> 09:26 PM)
So a day later and no names mentioned.

Levine, ugh...

no surprise, he usually mentions it when the trade happens, i bet it might involve huff and baez because i heard that the cubs have been looking at them for a while now

QUOTE(CWSGuy406 @ May 24, 2005 -> 03:31 PM)
Dunn is a top ten OF'er/1Bman.  Either category.

OF'/1bs I would rather have than Adam Dunn: Pujols, Helton, Ortiz, Overbay, Shea, Texiera, Derek Lee, Delgado, Morneau, Cabrera, Ichiro, Abreu, Vlad, Beltran, Matsui, Manny, Bonds, Berkman, Pierre, Edmonds, Huff, hell I'd even take caballo over Dunn.

QUOTE(Punch and Judy Garland @ May 25, 2005 -> 11:39 AM)
You'd have Shea Hillenbrand over Adam Dunn? You'd be fired on your first day as a gm

I like his BA and his versatility. Its a close call, but living in cinci and watching Dunn, I dont like him all that much. I think Kearns will pan out as better.

You're still proving his point. He said EITHER a 1B or OF, not both. Plus I think your list is way too long. Hillenbrand isn't anywhere near the impact player Dunn is; Pierre is overrated as an offensive option, especially since he isn't running as much as he used to; Overbay is a solid option but Dunn has considerably better HR and RBI numbers (kind of the main focus with first basemen), Derek Lee is playing much better right now than he ever has in his career (career .269 hitter with a career high of 32 homers); Matsui isn't anywhere near the hitter he was in Japan (pretty good last year, but disappointing his first year and this year so far) and is considerably older, and some of those guys are considerably older and aren't going to be as productive from here on out like Delgado, Edmonds, and Bonds (who might not even play again at this rate). Dunn's a 25 year old that hit 47 homeruns last year and has a career .385 OBP. There are guys I'd rather have, but not that many. I can't imagine that the Reds would trade him.

QUOTE(ZoomSlowik @ May 25, 2005 -> 12:54 PM)
You're still proving his point. He said EITHER a 1B or OF, not both. Plus I think your list is way too long. Hillenbrand isn't anywhere near the impact player Dunn is; Pierre is overrated as an offensive option, especially since he isn't running as much as he used to; Overbay is a solid option but Dunn has considerably better HR and RBI numbers (kind of the main focus with first basemen), Derek Lee is playing much better right now than he ever has in his career (career .269 hitter with a career high of 32 homers); Matsui isn't anywhere near the hitter he was in Japan (pretty good last year, but disappointing his first year and this year so far) and is considerably older, and some of those guys are considerably older and aren't going to be as productive from here on out like Delgado, Edmonds, and Bonds (who might not even play again at this rate). Dunn's a 25 year old that hit 47 homeruns last year and has a career .385 OBP.  There are guys I'd rather have, but not that many. I can't imagine that the Reds would trade him.

I was factoring in more than just offensive product, I was using defense as well in the case of D-lee and Matsui, Edmonds etc. It was just my opinion, im not too high on Dunn, I know he hits alot of bombs, but I dont think thats all there is as far as baseball goes. just my opinion.

QUOTE(RockRaines @ May 25, 2005 -> 04:05 PM)
OF'/1bs I would rather have than Adam Dunn: Pujols, Helton, Ortiz, Overbay, Shea, Texiera, Derek Lee, Delgado, Morneau, Cabrera, Ichiro, Abreu, Vlad, Beltran, Matsui, Manny, Bonds, Berkman, Pierre, Edmonds, Huff, hell I'd even take caballo over Dunn.

Of the guys you listed, these guys had higher OPS+' over Dunn's 2004: Pujols, Helton, Vlad, (Manny tied), Bonds. That's it.

You really underestimate how good Dunn is offensively. Half of the guys on that list are no where near as good as Dunn. Lee (both of 'em)? Shea f***ing Hillenbrand? Juan Pierre? Give me a f***in break...

And who cares about the strikeouts, he walks just about as much as he strikes out. I heard a that people are pissed off about the K's, well, GMAB -- don't change anything that guy is doing...

Edited by CWSGuy406

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2005/scor...uth.rumors.mlb/

There's talk starting to surface around teams out west (and one in Atlanta) that Greg Maddux would look good in certain uniforms down the stretch and in the postseason, if the Cubs did fall hopelessly out of it. "I guess I would deal with it when the time came, but right now it's not an issue,'' Maddux said. Maddux has a no-trade provision in his contract, which would play into any scenario. Beyond that, GM Jim Hendry has an overwhelming respect for what Maddux has accomplished, not to mention the fact that he turned down better offers to return to the Cubs.

-- Arlington Heights Daily Herald

The Cubs spoke to A's GM Billy Beane regarding outfielder Eric Byrnes about 10 days ago. When Nick Swisher returns from a collarbone injury, the A's will have too many outfielders, and one scenario to ease the glut would be dealing Byrnes.

-- Contra Costa Times