Who would you start in a 7 game series?

Dam8610

Okay, this is strictly a hypothetical, so please, spare me the "let's not get ahead of ourselves" type comments. I've actually been thinking about this for quite some time, and I think as of right now, the best 7 game series rotation for the Sox would be (also assuming we have Home Field Advantage for the series):

Game 1: Mark Buehrle - He's the ace of the staff and deserves the Game 1 start. If we need a pitcher to win a series for us, it's going to be him, so he needs to be in a position where he can be called upon for 3 starts if absolutely neccessary.

Game 2: Jon Garland - If Buehrle is the ace of the White Sox, then Jon is a very pleasant suprise as a #2 starter for us. If he continues to pitch the way he has to start the season, he's earned the Game 2 nod.

Game 3: Freddy Garcia - Before random fruits and veggies come flying at me, consider this: in Freddy's 6 road starts this season, he is 4-1 with a 2.08 ERA, .206 BAA, 0.92 WHIP, and averages slightly over 7 innings per start. He's the quintessential road ace.

Game 4: Mark Buehrle - Again, Buehrle is the ace of the staff. If any pitcher is going to win us a series, it's going to be him.

Game 5: Jon Garland - If Jon continues to pitch the way he has, he's earned the #2 spot, so right now, put him there.

Game 6: Orlando Hernandez - El Duque is CLUTCH in the playoffs, as evidenced by his great postseason record (couldn't find it, but I believe he is 8-1 lifetime in the postseason). He's also well rested and ready to go for this game.

Game 7: Mark Buehrle - One last time: you give the ball to the ace with a chance to win the series. If the Sox go to a Game 7 in the 2005 postseason (if they are there), I want Buehrle on the bump for that pivotal game.

What do you think? Good? Horrible? Would you make any changes?

I am still torn between El Duque and the Count

Count has been very impressive in terms of opposing BA. El Duque obviously has been known to be clutch come playoff time.

I might go with a game where Coutn pitches 4 innings, and El Duque pitches the next 4 innings....that way we avoid their one bad inning ;)

QUOTE(Dam8610 @ Jun 5, 2005 -> 02:00 AM)
Um, you can't start Buehrle all 7 games. Well, I guess you could, but he'd be bound to get injured somewhere along the line.

He can be thrown three times in a seven game series. Don't forget there will be off days in between and this is buehrle we are talking about. He has a rubber arm and would be up for it.

My starting pitchers

Game 1: Buehrle

Game 2: Garland

Game 3: garcia

Game 4: contreas

Game 5: if the series is close Buehrle but if the sox have a 3-1 lead i go with el duque

Game 6: Garland if down 3-2 contreas if up 3-2

Game 7: Buehrle or garland if he didnt pitch in game 6

QUOTE(qwerty @ Jun 5, 2005 -> 02:02 AM)
He can be thrown three times in a seven game series. Don't forget there will be off days in between and this is buehrle we are talking about. He has a rubber arm and would be up for it.

I agree 100%, that's why I have him going games 1, 4, and 7 in my rotation, but who do you got for games 2, 3, 5, and 6?

As the playoffs have grown longer and longer, you no longer can look at post season as just a 7 game series - it's become a month long survival test. So you can't really shorten your rotation until the World Series. But I agree with the thought that you want to use El Duque more than Contreras, so Buehrle, Garland, Freddy, El Duque, Buehrle, Garland, and for game 7 - whole staff, baby.

I'd wait to see who has the hot arm in October. We have 5 very good starting pitchers this season. Anyone could be on a 10-0 run heading into a post season appearance. I do see Mark in game 1, after that, anything could make sense then.

QUOTE(Texsox @ Jun 5, 2005 -> 07:10 AM)
I'd wait to see who has the hot arm in October. We have 5 very good starting pitchers this season. Anyone could be on a 10-0 run heading into a post season appearance. I do see Mark in game 1, after that, anything could make sense then.

You got it right, Texsox, Ozzie will need to look for his Josh Beckett. He was like 9-8 going into the playoffs but he got hot and McKeon rode him all the way to the championship. In June you can't predict who [if anyone] will be the man in October.

Alot of possibilities in this one. Should Mark and Jon win both of their first starts, then I would want to stick with my rotation. If they should lose one or both, it could get a little hairy. I would say performance will dictate the rotation.