Another trade idea

sox-r-us

I know....I know....too many people floating too many trade ideas. We are the best in baseball, we do not need anything....blah blah blah.

BUT...anyways here it goes :P

====================

I said this in the other thread (regarding our bench needing upgrade). The best way to improve our bench is to upgrade at SS and/or 3B and send one/both out of Crede and/or Uribe to the bench. And send Willie away. Far away.....and then send Timo away by bringing up Anderson. Of course the one problem with upgrading at SS and/or 3B is that while the two starters we have there right now are not that good offensively and are definitely not contact line drive hitters, they are both solid to very good in their defense. GIven we are built on pitching, if we do bring in a SS and/or 3B, we have to make sure the D does not suffer much in the process.

Anyways, so to me here is an interesting trade that I hope Kenny considers:

Trade for Omar Vizquel:

Pros for making this trade:

The first team to probably go into sell mode is going to be the Giants. We know Kenny likes to upgrade well before trade deadline.

The asking price will not be great for an Omar Viquel. One or two mid level prospects should do the trick.

Omar is currently hitting 0.282 with 0 HRs and 17 RBI + 12 SB. He would be the perfect person to bat late in the line up to bring in the RBIs that Uribe and Crede simply s*** themselves on when given a chance with their free swings OR he could bat 2nd and we can make Gooch bat late in the line up (another very good contac/line drive hitter). He is hitting 0.268 at home and 0.300 on the road.

He is hitting 0.324 against righty pitching which is huge come playoff time since we still have a lot of right handed hitters on this team (especially of Frank plays ahead of Everett). He is definitely in the mold of the grinder and he can lay a bunt down anytime we need one.

His defense is still a huge asset at SS. With our team that is built on pitching, his defense can only help and would actually be an upgrade over Uribe (whose D is very good too mind you).

Omar will have no problem meshing with this clubhouse given the # of latino players in there and with Ozzie around. Hence no real chemistry concerns, which is going to be a big criteria for Kenny while making any trade at this deadline.

IF we do get Omar, then we can platoon Crede and Uribe at 3B and even have Uribe play SS every now and then against lefty pitching since Omar is only hitting 0.191 against lefties and Uribe is hitting 0.357 vs lefties. Think about it fellas. We could have a potentially 0.300+ hitting production out of our SS position by playing Uribe against lefites and Omar against righties. This is huge come playoff time. Also, Uribe can always play 3B every now and then too resting Cruddy. In the offseason, we can let Cruddy walk and let Uribe play 3B full time or we trade Uribe or simply keep his as a bench/platoon player for 2B/3B/SS who can play against lefties for at least 50 games a year.

Kenny obviously has the hard on for Omar (remember the offseason).

Downside/cons to making this trade:

Relatively huge contract: This can be worked out though if Kenny makes the Giants eat some of that contract which is very possible given how desperate they should be to sell soon here.

Now, all I am saying is I hope Kenny considers him so go easy on the bashing fellas if you think this suggestion sucks. :chair

I for one would like this line up far better:

Pods LF

Vizquel SS

Frank DH

Paul 1B

Dye RF

Arow CF

Gooch 2B

AJ P C

Cruddy/Uribe 3B

Edited by sox-r-us

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You put so much damn work into these trade threads, it's really impressive. The only problem is I tend to disagree with them.

Have the Giants talked about trading Visquel at all?

I guess I just don't understand why a team would work so hard to sign a player in the off season and then trade him 2 and a half months later.

QUOTE(Kalapse @ Jun 14, 2005 -> 05:21 AM)
You put so much damn work into these trade threads, it's really impressive. The only problem is I tend to disagree with them.

Have the Giants talked about trading Visquel at all?

I guess I just don't understand why a team would work so hard to sign a player in the off season and then trade him 2 and a half months later.

Thanks for the props.

Well, I think the reason the Giants would let him go is because their master plan has failed miserably. I was just listening to a baseball show on the radio. They had Tim Kurkjan on and he said the Giants are definitely going to start selling soon. They are going to start playing their youngsters and give up very soon here. The Giants have nothing working for them, and even if Barry comes back, they have no shot with the way Schmidt is pitching.

QUOTE(mr_genius @ Jun 14, 2005 -> 05:22 AM)
NO way

do not Omar on the team... why don't we sign Alomar again while we're at it

:chair

LOL

I actually thought of that while writing this thread. I was going to insert another pro in there that if we got Vizquel, we know Kenny would be calling Alomar next.

:cheers

QUOTE(Rowand44 @ Jun 14, 2005 -> 05:24 AM)
Omar's on a 3 year contract I do not want to be stuck with that 2 years down the road.

I agree that contract is a bit ridiculous which is why I said Kenny has to make the Giants eat quite a bit of it.

The Giants cannot, by rule, trade Omar until after June 30 due to the fact he's an offseason free agent signing. Then we have the problem of the contract, which KW would not go for 3 years for Omar in the off season, why would he do so now? Then you add the fact that KW thought he had a deal, and Omar bolted when a better contract came his way ... unlike Jermaine Dye.

Sox R Us, I've always been a fan of the way Omar plays the game and to me and it's probably the same with Kenny is it's not the amount of money of his deal it's the length of his deal, I just don't want to be stuck with Omar 2 years down the road but that's jmo.

QUOTE(sox-r-us @ Jun 14, 2005 -> 12:27 AM)
Can anyone pull out Omar's defensive stats for this year?

YASNY? I see you are lurking around ready to tear my trade idea to smithereens (just kidding)  :D

It's not a bad idea on the surface, I just think there are too many hurdles to overcome to make it doable.

QUOTE(mr_genius @ Jun 14, 2005 -> 05:22 AM)
NO way

do not Omar on the team... why don't we sign Alomar again while we're at it

:chair

mr genius

Where/how should we upgrade our offense then? Please educate us. You know the concerns with any trade - chemistry, salary, age, prospects reqd etc

I am TIRED of seeing this franchise piss away a great year. That 2000 season where Schueler did nothing except bring in Charles Johnson still hurts me so much I cry every time I think of that disaster of a post season.

Do you realize if this Sox line up went against the Twinkies or Angels in the playoffs, they would most likely get destroyed in a short series with their ace (Santana or Colon) going twice?

We just got raped by Shaun Estes tonight.

I like the idea alot!

The giants would be willing to trade vizquel, because he dosent have much years left in him and there not going to win this year so they would trade there old people to get rid of salery and get some young people. Plus, vizquel might ask to be traded to a contender because he hasent won in a few years.

This has a much better chance of happening then chavez, a-rod, and cabera, but if vizquel wantes to play for the sox woudnt he have just signed with them in the offseason.

...and I woudnt be surprised if KW asked alomar to unretire and play for us lol seeing how much he loves him lol.

QUOTE(sox-r-us @ Jun 13, 2005 -> 11:30 PM)
mr genius

Where/how should we upgrade our offense then? Please educate us. You know the concerns with any trade - chemistry, salary, age, prospects reqd etc

I am TIRED of seeing this franchise piss away a great year. That 2000 season where Schueler did nothing except bring in Charles Johnson still hurts me so much I cry every time I think of that disaster of a post season.

Do you realize if this Sox line up went against the Twinkies or Angels in the playoffs, they would most likely get destroyed in a short series with their ace (Santana or Colon) going twice?

We just got raped by Shaun Estes tonight.

The only team I could truely see as a possibly beating the sox in a short series is the Twins if every team is at full strength. If the sox can get into the playoffs they're going to be in fantastic shape imo. This team is built for the playoffs.

EDIT: Don't get me wrong I don't expect the sox to walk through the playoffs or anything if they can get there, the Twins would just worry me the most out of any possible team in the AL right now. Of course the Angels or Orioles could beat the Sox I just believe the sox are built far better for the playoffs then those teams but that's jmo.

Edited by Rowand44

QUOTE(sox-r-us @ Jun 14, 2005 -> 12:32 AM)
Those defensive #s look really good. He is on pace for just 9 errors for the year.

I don't think his defense is the main concern, the guy has won countless gold gloves and after a down year last seaon seems to be back to his old form. The main problem is the contract. The 3 years is a deal breaker for sure, especially in Kenny's mind.

QUOTE(YASNY @ Jun 14, 2005 -> 05:28 AM)
The Giants cannot, by rule, trade Omar until after June 30 due to the fact he's an offseason free agent signing.  Then we have the problem of the contract, which KW would not go for 3 years for Omar in the off season, why would he do so now?  Then you add the fact that KW thought he had a deal, and Omar bolted when a better contract came his way ... unlike Jermaine Dye.

Times have changed though YASNY. Today, Kenny must realize his age old dream of getting the Sox to a World Series is very close to happening. I bet in the offseason even Kenny in his wildest dreams must have not projected us to be as good as we have started out. Barring a miracle, this team should make the playoffs (at least as a wild card). So the question is what can he do to push us into the World Series.

He also probably realizes that there are only two positions he can really upgrade at SS and 3B. If he can get a Eric Chavez, more power to him, but if not, he has to explore all of the SS options out there. Clearly there are no other positions on the field you can really touch without displacing a starter. And Kenny has said numerous times that chemistry is impt to him if he makes a trade this year. I would think Omar would be as safe a bet as there is with the players that blend with his background in our dug out and the manager.

QUOTE(Rowand44 @ Jun 13, 2005 -> 11:34 PM)
The only team I could truely see as a possibly beating the sox in a short series is the Twins if every team is at full strength.  If the sox can get into the playoffs they're going to be in fantastic shape imo.  This team is built for the playoffs.

Methinks we need to figure out how to string a few hits together day in and day out before we declare this team is built for the playoffs. Yes Buerhle, Garcia and Garland can be a 3 man rotation for a short playoff series. But if the Shawn Estes of the world, and other large ERA pitchers can shut us down into pull monkeys, what can a Santana/Schilling/or other top tiered ace do to us. We need to get better as an offense in stringing hits together more consistantly.