Contreras and El Duque

VAfan

Let's talk about our Cuban pitchers.

Do we really need Jason Schmidt or Ted Lilly or (fill-in-the-blank) if one or both of these guys can be brought along to October?

Contreras seems to be pitching like he did his first year for the Yankees. If they can speed him up, get him to throw more fast balls and more strikes, isn't he potentially going to as good as just about any starter we might trade for other than Roger Clemens?

And El Duque still seems to have it as long as his arm is rested. The 5th starter slot needs to be used only 3 times in July. Why not give El Duque the month off and see if McCarthy can rediscover his ST magic?

So my feeling is that we shouldn't be trading for a starter unless the starter is clearly better not only than these guys, but would shift the whole playoff rotation a notch to improve our matchups in all games. Like Roger Clemens.

well Jason Schmidt is the closest thing we are going to get to Roger Clemens.... Astro's probably wont trade him just because of the fans he brings to the park and Clemens wont go anywhere besides the yanks or rangers.

and with how El Duque has pitched, well Id say we definitly need an ace to anchor this staff along side Buehrle.... so

Yes to Schmidt

No to Lilly

QUOTE(SoxFan101 @ Jun 25, 2005 -> 05:50 PM)
well Jason Schmidt is the closest thing we are going to get to Roger Clemens.... Astro's probably wont trade him just because of the fans he brings to the park and Clemens wont go anywhere besides the yanks or rangers.

and with how El Duque has pitched, well Id say we definitly need an ace to anchor this staff along side Buehrle.... so

Yes to Schmidt

No to Lilly

If Schmidt is significantly better than one of our top 3 starters, it's something to consider. Don't know his contract status, but if it's strictly a 3 month rent, then we should pay a low price. If we must rent, I would rather the sure bet - rent Clemens.

El D and Contreras won't help in the playoffs, except out of the pen.

QUOTE(Punch and Judy Garland @ Jun 25, 2005 -> 12:33 PM)
Lidge doesn't just miss bats, he misses great bats. He could blow away A-rod and Sheffield. I'd mortgage the farm for him.

I think I would too. I think all Count and El Duque is perform decent enough to win every 4th or 5th day which they have done better than what most thought in ST. Playoff rotation would probably be Buehrle, Garcia, Garland. I think Count and El Duque would be excellent out of the bullpen.

el conde and el duque are just not getting it done anymore; they've fallen back to Earth after amazing starts. For all we know, Garland will do the same before too long; I'm certainly hoping he won't, but let's assume worst-case scenario.

We need 3-4 aces to both lock up the division and go deep into the playoffs. Buerhle and Garcia are passable in that role; Garland might be, but let's not count on him just We need Schmidt, badly.

QUOTE(Antonio Osuna @ Jun 26, 2005 -> 12:17 PM)
el conde and el duque are just not getting it done anymore; they've fallen back to Earth after amazing starts. For all we know, Garland will do the same before too long; I'm certainly hoping he won't, but let's assume worst-case scenario.

We need 3-4 aces to both lock up the division and go deep into the playoffs. Buerhle and Garcia are passable in that role; Garland might be, but let's not count on him just We need Schmidt, badly.

You have to be the most pessimistic person I've ever known. Buehrle and Garcia are passable?? Despite yesterday's debacle, Contreras is still at the top of the AL for OBA. We don't need Schmidt badly. He would be a luxury at this point, not a necessity.

QUOTE(Antonio Osuna @ Jun 26, 2005 -> 01:17 PM)

No team has four aces. None.

QUOTE(Antonio Osuna @ Jun 26, 2005 -> 01:17 PM)

This from a guy with a screenname from a mediocre middle reliever... :bang

This from a guy with a screenname from a mediocre middle reliever... :bang

Antonio Osuna helped this team out big time twice: once by stepping up into the closer's role when a hole opened up there, and once by getting traded to the Yankees in the deal that sent us Bartolo Colon.

His contributions to this ballclub should not be underestimated.

QUOTE(Antonio Osuna @ Jun 26, 2005 -> 05:03 PM)
Antonio Osuna helped this team out big time twice: once by stepping up into the closer's role when a hole opened up there, and once by getting traded to the Yankees in the deal that sent us Bartolo Colon.

His contributions to this ballclub should not be underestimated.

But not really...

But not really...

I'm not claiming that Antonio Osuna was the second coming of anyone except a solid bullpen arm; I'm just saying that he's not to be needlessly insulted.

The Sox could use another Osuna in the bullpen this season in place of Vizcaino. Both Contreras and Hernandez have the capability, in my view, to become solid long relievers who will make us forget the name of Antonio Osuna, but first we need some starting help. That's Kenny's job right now.

QUOTE(Punch and Judy Garland @ Jun 25, 2005 -> 06:33 PM)
Lidge doesn't just miss bats, he misses great bats. He could blow away A-rod and Sheffield. I'd mortgage the farm for him.

Look at Lidge's game by game numbers. The majority of the time he is giving up baserunners, and he's giving up runs more often than Neal Cotts, Cliff Politte, or Dustin Hermanson. Plus why does Houston have to move him?

QUOTE(SoxFan1 @ Jun 26, 2005 -> 02:53 PM)
Yes to Schmidt

Yes to Oswalt

Yes to Clemens

No to Lilly

It's that simple. I would trade BMac, Anderson, and another prospect for one of those 3 guys. It's not too steep of a price for an ace.

I agree. I would give up whatever it took to get Oswalt, Clemens, or a for sure healthy Schmidt. Ditto for Lidge. Lilly doesn't make much sense to me. We need another pitcher and whoever it is needs to be dominating. If we got any of those guys I would really like our chances.

Would love to see the Sox get Schmidt but I don't think it's going to happen. I definately would feel better if we picked up another ace. I think the Cubans have given us their best, but will be below average for the most part here on out.

QUOTE(Stephen @ Jun 27, 2005 -> 01:24 AM)
Would love to see the Sox get Schmidt but I don't think it's going to happen. I definately would feel better if we picked up another ace. I think the Cubans have given us their best, but will be below average for the most part here on out.

Valid points.

Welcome to Soxtalk. :cheers

QUOTE(qwerty @ Jun 27, 2005 -> 01:30 AM)
I wouldn't give up anything for clemens. He is too old and would not resign. 20 million a year? No thanks. There is no option of his coming here.

He wouldn't come here anyway, so it's kinda a moot point.