Looking Ahead...Way Ahead

Tadahito15

I came to thinking about the makeup of this team for the next few years and found something I really liked. Our starting rotation. Looking to 2007, our rotation will be filthy if Kenny can somewhere pick up a #4 or better starting pitcher. Our rotation would be rediculously good. Buehrle, Garcia, Garland, ???, BMac. One more quality starter in the mix and you can easily win any game of the season assuming BMac is not a complete bust. We have lots of young guys in the field too, assuming we can hold onto them until then. Dye can be replaced by Anderson and Sweeney and Rowand and Pods are hopefully here to stay. I'm lovin this team right now, but the future looks to be possibly even sweeter. Here's to the Sox of now and the future! :cheers

QUOTE(That funky motion @ Jun 26, 2005 -> 10:22 PM)
We need to keep AJ also,he's a huge part of whats going on. Also how long is Garland signed for? :D

Has one year of arbitation left. I expect him to be signed long term after this season.

As much as I am loving it this year and want the 2005 Sox to go on an win the World Series, I think Kenny should be thinking longer term, about building a club that, like the Indians in the second half of the 90's and the Twins recently, can make the postseason year after year.

That's why I wonder about trading BMac, Anderson, etc. for a rent-a-player.

Now I've supported renting Roger Clemens and been accused of being inconsistent. But I guess I'm willing to make a rental if I believe that person is the absolute key to winning it all. Short of that, I would hope our trading would be more prudent and not sacrifice the future for the present.

We have 3 great starters that we can afford to sign for the next 5 years - Buehrle, Garcia, and Garland. If we develop BMac, he could be a very high quality but cheap 4th guy. We then need to find a 5th guy. I think it could be Neal Cotts. I would let Contreras and El Duque walk when their contracts are up.

On the offensive side, a decision will have to be made about Konerko and Thomas. Hopefully we will keep AJ for a couple more years. Dye will be gone after next year. We need to plug in some young blood so that we can afford to spend a lot on pitching, which we have seen is the real key to staying on top.

they have a few things they have to decide on in the offseason. Konerko should we sign or let him go. Thomas and Evertt. Joe Crede is he ever gonna be a good hitter. Most important though is how do we sign Timo Perez, he is are building block.

Ill worry about that stuff after are 4 games to 2 games world series victory over the Cardinals.

QUOTE(Tadahito15 @ Jun 26, 2005 -> 08:16 PM)
I came to thinking about the makeup of this team for the next few years and found something I really liked. Our starting rotation. Looking to 2007, our rotation will be filthy if Kenny can somewhere pick up a #4 or better starting pitcher. Our rotation would be rediculously good. Buehrle, Garcia, Garland, ???, BMac. One more quality starter in the mix and you can easily win any game of the season assuming BMac is not a complete bust. We have lots of young guys in the field too, assuming we can hold onto them until then. Dye can be replaced by Anderson and Sweeney and Rowand and Pods are hopefully here to stay. I'm lovin this team right now, but the future looks to be possibly even sweeter. Here's to the Sox of now and the future!  :cheers

Until Mac can prove to me he's nothing more than another over hyped pitching prospect, I'm not counting on him for anything....as for the other hyped prospects. too many times has there been a "Can't miss" that has missed for the sox.

QUOTE(VAfan @ Jun 27, 2005 -> 07:27 AM)
We have 3 great starters that we can afford to sign for the next 5 years - Buehrle, Garcia, and Garland.  If we develop BMac, he could be a very high quality but cheap 4th guy.  We then need to find a 5th guy.  I think it could be Neal Cotts.  I would let Contreras and El Duque walk when their contracts are up. 

There's also no reason to assume we won't be getting additional help from the minors...Gonzalez, Broadway, etc., might be available within a couple of years.

I'm still a fan of Cotts in the bullpen. You don't find left handed relief pitchers who can go 2 innings and get a ton of outs that often. As long as he's successful in the bullpen, I think he should stay there.

But I am completely with you in saying that we shouldn't mortgage what we have coming up on the off chance that some player could push us the extra inch, when a.) we don't know that we don't have what it takes to win already, b.) we could end up far more dominant in the future with the young guys and c.) holding onto your young guys and developing them saves you a ton of money over paying higher prices for veterans (thus...bringing along BMac helps you pay to keep Buehrle)

The one thing you always have to consider is how many World Series rings do the 1990's Indians and 2000's Twins have? None. While I'm not for completely mortgaging our future, if the right guy(s) are out there, you have to go for it -- even at the expense of good prospects.

I'd love to put together a team that wins consistently like the Braves of the last decade and a half, but I also want to see the White Sox win the Series more than anything. Kenny has been better at signing quality free agents than in making impact trades or developing young talent, so if the right guy(s) is out there, you gotta go for it.

I do agree, though, the Sox have seemingly remade their organization into one that plays better fundamentals, has locked up some of our key players and is moving forward with some good looking young talent on the horizon.

QUOTE(Traveler1776 @ Jun 30, 2005 -> 10:46 AM)
The one thing you always have to consider is how many World Series rings do the 1990's Indians and 2000's Twins have? None. While I'm not for completely mortgaging our future, if the right guy(s) are out there, you have to go for it -- even at the expense of good prospects.

I'd love to put together a team that wins consistently like the Braves of the last decade and a half, but I also want to see the White Sox win the Series more than anything. Kenny has been better at signing quality free agents than in making impact trades or developing young talent, so if the right guy(s) is out there, you gotta go for it.

I do agree, though, the Sox have seemingly remade their organization into one that plays better fundamentals, has locked up some of our key players and is moving forward with some good looking young talent on the horizon.

On the other hand...how many rings to the Braves have? (hint...I'd lose in 13 playoff series to get to that number if that's what it took)

More so than BMac is Gio.

As long as Ozzie manages this club, Garland, Buehrle and Garcia never leave. Its the 4 and 5 spot that we'll be looking to fill. I'd love it if Gio and BMac are good enough to fill in those spots so we can keep it in the Sox system.

QUOTE(Tadahito15 @ Jun 26, 2005 -> 09:16 PM)
I came to thinking about the makeup of this team for the next few years and found something I really liked. Our starting rotation. Looking to 2007, our rotation will be filthy if Kenny can somewhere pick up a #4 or better starting pitcher. Our rotation would be rediculously good. Buehrle, Garcia, Garland, ???, BMac. One more quality starter in the mix and you can easily win any game of the season assuming BMac is not a complete bust. We have lots of young guys in the field too, assuming we can hold onto them until then. Dye can be replaced by Anderson and Sweeney and Rowand and Pods are hopefully here to stay. I'm lovin this team right now, but the future looks to be possibly even sweeter. Here's to the Sox of now and the future!  :cheers

isn't this the rotation we have now? Therefore are we seeing 2007 today? If so, why are we looking to 2007?

I think with this team they are so good as it is right now as a team that the only way you do a trade is for a top of the line guy, Im thinking Schmidt if he is healthy other than that dont know many aces that are available... and I dont think we need a hitter since Ozzie seems satisfied with Crede and we just signed Uribe this off-season.

So no trades that would jeapordize our future unless its for a top of the rotation guy or maybe Billy Wagner if the Phillies fall out of it.

QUOTE(qwerty @ Jun 26, 2005 -> 11:02 PM)
Has one year of arbitation left. I expect him to be signed long term after this season.

Long term, in Sox terminology, is three years for a pitcher.