Cliff Politte

santo=dorf

Also Politte faces the same batters as the best closers face. Its not like Cliff faces the bottom of the lineup everytime he pitches. He faces the same lineup as closers, so as far as im concerned his job is just as hard. He has to do the same thing, try to get outs.

• Replies 191
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(santo=dorf @ Jun 28, 2005 -> 01:59 PM)
Thanks.  Using my 93 characters, I asked him why Timlin is an ALl-Star over Cliff Politte considering Cliff has a much better BAA, WHIP, and K/9.

You didn't use the Inherited Runners scored arguement? That's the most solid.

QUOTE(jerseysox @ Jun 28, 2005 -> 12:51 PM)
i truly believe that if cliff politte was a freaking brewer, none of us would care if he made the all-star team. and you know why? because he's a freaking middle reliever!!!! this is the ALL-STAR GAME. it's like putting a guy on the team because he's really, really good at sacrificing runners over. no one goes to games to see craig counsell move guys over, and no one goes to games to watch cliff politte pitch the 8th inning. let's move on. is cliff politte really good at what he does? f*** yeah. but he's not an all-star.

This is one of the more ridiculous posts I've seen on this site.

QUOTE(jerseysox @ Jun 28, 2005 -> 02:29 PM)
please. tell me why.

Because middle relievers our a positions they're in your bullpen just like a closer. Just because middle relievers don't pitch in the 9th inning doesn't mean they're not just as important as a closer. You can argue whether or not Cliff is an allstar but to say he shouldn't be because he's a 7-8th inning guy is just ridiculous.

QUOTE(jerseysox @ Jun 28, 2005 -> 01:51 PM)
i truly believe that if cliff politte was a freaking brewer, none of us would care if he made the all-star team. and you know why? because he's a freaking middle reliever!!!! this is the ALL-STAR GAME. it's like putting a guy on the team because he's really, really good at sacrificing runners over. no one goes to games to see craig counsell move guys over, and no one goes to games to watch cliff politte pitch the 8th inning. let's move on. is cliff politte really good at what he does? f*** yeah. but he's not an all-star.

The comparison is flawed. Politte is an integral part of the pen, pitching in some of the most pressure packed situations. He has to get the ball over to the closer. If you wanted to make a comparison like that, he would be compared to a leadoff hitter or a 2nd hitter, setting the next pitcher up to succeed in his role.

A better comparison for your logic, since most sac bunts come when you absolutely need them, and are put down almost exclusively by weaker hitters, would be a mopup guy. You will never see a mopup, 3 inning, pitch-in-a-blowout pitcher ever pitch in an ASG if that has been his role the entire season(and I add that last part because Jake Westbrook started last season in that role, but was an All-Star as a starter).

let's put these guys in the all-star game too:

arthur rhodes -- 31 IP, 24 H, 5 BB, 0.87 ERA

jesse crain -- 34.2 IP, 22 H, 8 BB, 1.04 ERA

justin duchscherer -- 38.2 IP, 30 H, 8 BB, 1.40 ERA

mike timlin -- 37.1 IP, 36 H, 9 BB, 1.21 ERA

cliff politte is just another good middle reliever. not an all-star. or should we invite all of these guys too? i know, let's invite nothing but really good middle relievers, and let closers and starters stay at home.

i'm sure there's a thread in cleveland, minnesota, oakland and boston talking about how all these guys should go to.

QUOTE(witesoxfan @ Jun 28, 2005 -> 03:37 PM)
The comparison is flawed.  Politte is an integral part of the pen, pitching in some of the most pressure packed situations.  He has to get the ball over to the closer.  If you wanted to make a comparison like that, he would be compared to a leadoff hitter or a 2nd hitter, setting the next pitcher up to succeed in his role.

A better comparison for your logic, since most sac bunts come when you absolutely need them, and are put down almost exclusively by weaker hitters, would be a mopup  guy.  You will never see a mopup, 3 inning, pitch-in-a-blowout pitcher ever pitch in an ASG if that has been his role the entire season(and I add that last part because Jake Westbrook started last season in that role, but was an All-Star as a starter).

listen, just list me your 12 all-star pitchers, and tell me who you are keeping home for politte. that's all i ask here.

QUOTE(jerseysox @ Jun 28, 2005 -> 03:38 PM)
let's put these guys in the all-star game too:

arthur rhodes -- 31 IP, 24 H, 5 BB, 0.87 ERA

jesse crain -- 34.2 IP, 22 H, 8 BB, 1.04 ERA

justin duchscherer -- 38.2 IP, 30 H, 8 BB, 1.40 ERA

mike timlin -- 37.1 IP, 36 H, 9 BB, 1.21 ERA

cliff politte is just another good middle reliever. not an all-star. or should we invite all of these guys too? i know, let's invite nothing but really good middle relievers, and let closers and starters stay at home.

i'm sure there's a thread in cleveland, minnesota, oakland and boston talking about how all these guys should go to.

Politte > all

Look at the stats. Why should Crain go over Politte? Because he has 1 more win or because he has 5.1 more innings or is it that his ERA is 9 points lower (ERA is very overrated for relief pitchers)?

Politte is on a better team, he has a lower BAA, lower WHIP, lower OPSA, and a higher K/9. Not to mention the fact that Politte has inherited 5 more runners than Crain and Politte has had 1 less runner score.

Politte is more deserving than Crain...period.

QUOTE(jerseysox @ Jun 28, 2005 -> 03:44 PM)
he's not better than crain.

and if he wasn't a white sock, you wouldn't be arguing this.

Politte is allowing 16.7% of inherited runners to score...meaning he gets out of the situation unscathed 5 out of 6 times.

Crain is allowing 26.3% of inherited runners to score...meaning he gets out of it unscathed roughly 3 out of 4 times.

Politte also has a better WHIP than Crain too, probably the most important stat for relievers in the game.

Politte > Crain, and everyone else you brought up

All-Star pitchers

Mark Buerhle

Jon Garland

Kenny Rogers

Roy Halladay

Bartolo Colon

Matt Clement

Johan Santana

Mariano Rivera

BJ Ryan

Eddie Guardado

Dustin Hermanson

Bob Wickman

Alright. Who gets thrown off the island so the Holy Lord of Middle Relief can pitch in the All-Star Game?

QUOTE(jerseysox @ Jun 28, 2005 -> 02:57 PM)
All-Star pitchers

Mark Buerhle

Jon Garland

Kenny Rogers

Roy Halladay

Bartolo Colon

Matt Clement

Johan Santana

Mariano Rivera

BJ Ryan

Eddie Guardado

Dustin Hermanson

Bob Wickman

Alright. Who gets thrown off the island so the Holy Lord of Middle Relief can pitch in the All-Star Game?

Wickman's been good, Politte's been better.