Burnett to the Orioles?

jackie hayes

Personally I suggest a short vacation for posters who can't see a big thread on the top that says Trade Thread: Post anything about trades or trade rumors here.

QUOTE(DBAH0 @ Jun 27, 2005 -> 11:57 PM)
I've merged this into the ATH thread about this rumor. Posters, please take note of the big trade thread that's pinned in PHT, and if a topic's already been posted already.

I thought that thread was only for Sox trade rumors, suggestions, etc, since it was in PHT. If that's wrong, sorry that this thread was out of place.

QUOTE(nitetrain8601 @ Jun 27, 2005 -> 05:45 PM)
Oh yeah, Gammons shot down the Burnett to Baltimore rumor saying it would make no sense whatsoever for Baltimore because he thought Cabrera would end up becoming the better pitcher. Anyway, I would give up BMac, Everett, and Sweeney. I would ask for Burnett and a lower tier guy.

I wouldnt mind that if Burnett resigned and the "lower tier guy" was Eric Reed. He is compared to Juan Pierre with more speed right now. He just has to work more on his hitting

QUOTE(ChiSox_Sonix @ Jun 27, 2005 -> 03:52 PM)
I don't understand why the Marlins would do that when they're like a game or two out of the wild card despite problems with Beckett, Mota and Lowell.  Dumb trade IMO

Cabrera is going to be a good one. Cheap too.

QUOTE(SuperSteve @ Jun 28, 2005 -> 01:26 AM)
Cabrera is going to be a good one. Cheap too.

How do you know that? Of course, some days he has great stuff. And the next, he can't find the strike zone to save his life. Everyone was waiting for the strikeouts to come around this year. They came around, and yet he's somehow found a way to give up more runs than before. I dunno -- I like Cabrera, and I enjoy watching him pitch. But I don't see how it's 'obvious' that he'll pull it all together and become great anytime soon.

Latest News  Jun. 28, 2005 - 5:33 am et

According to the Washington Post, the Orioles are interested in A.J. Burnett, but are concerned about his durability and do not want to part with Daniel Cabrera or Hayden Penn to get him.

The Burnett rumors were reported by TSN's Ken Rosenthal yesterday, but the Post reports that no deal is imminent. Baltimore is also reportedly interested in San Francisco righty Jason Schmidt.

Source:  Washington Post

Kenny could probably jump right in and nab Burnett if he wanted to. However, it would likely cost Brandon McCarthy, Carl Everett, and a reliever. The Marlins would throw in outfielder Juan Encarnacion in any deal.

Edited by Jabroni

QUOTE(DBAH0 @ Jun 27, 2005 -> 05:15 PM)
Ok let's see here. Payroll goes up each season about 8 to 10 mill (Steff and Mike know more about this than I do).

Based on the way attendence is going up, we could see an $85 million payroll pretty easily next year. If we end up drawing somewhere around 30K a night by the end of the season along with a solid post season preformance, the payroll could concievably push $100 million, IMO.

QUOTE(southsider2k5 @ Jun 28, 2005 -> 10:29 AM)
Based on the way attendence is going up, we could see an $85 million payroll pretty easily next year.  If we end up drawing somewhere around 30K a night by the end of the season along with a solid post season preformance, the payroll could concievably push $100 million, IMO.

No way I see that. There's not enough players needed(position or pitching) to push 100 mil and if there was, I wouldn't see that next season. I'd think 100 mil is more realistic if we have another year like this year, next year.

QUOTE(jackie hayes @ Jun 27, 2005 -> 09:12 PM)
How do you know that?  Of course, some days he has great stuff.  And the next, he can't find the strike zone to save his life.  Everyone was waiting for the strikeouts to come around this year.  They came around, and yet he's somehow found a way to give up more runs than before.  I dunno -- I like Cabrera, and I enjoy watching him pitch.  But I don't see how it's 'obvious' that he'll pull it all together and become great anytime soon.

He throws hard as hell. I never said obvious too, but IMO he will be good. I never said he is going to be great, or a Cy Young winner, but he has the stuff to be a good solid pitcher. I'd sure as hell take him.

QUOTE(SuperSteve @ Jun 28, 2005 -> 02:26 PM)
He throws hard as hell. I never said obvious too, but IMO he will be good. I never said he is going to be great, or a Cy Young winner, but he has the stuff to be a good solid pitcher. I'd sure as hell take him.

He's got dynamite stuff there is no doubt about that.

QUOTE(SuperSteve @ Jun 28, 2005 -> 08:26 PM)

I know, I use the double quotes if I'm actually quoting someone. I just meant that you and Gammons (I hear) seem to see something that isn't in the numbers. Now, I have watched Cabrera pitch fairly often, so I'm not basing everything on his stats. And I have seen him look pretty darn good. And I've seen him melt down the next 2 times out. He's Contreras-esque, and we still don't know if we're out of the woods w/ him. So when you state confidently that Cabrera will be a good pitcher -- I'm not saying you're wrong, I'd just hedge my bets.

But, of course, what fun would that be?

QUOTE(Jabroni @ Jun 28, 2005 -> 05:56 AM)
Kenny could probably jump right in and nab Burnett if he wanted to.  However, it would likely cost Brandon McCarthy, Carl Everett, and a reliever.  The Marlins would throw in outfielder Juan Encarnacion in any deal.

GO FOR IT! Especially if they give us an OF back.