Sox vs. Tigers 6/29/05 6:05 CST Gamethread

Capn12

It was low risk for the following reasons:

1.  We had, at that moment a 9.5 game lead.

2.  We did have a lead in the game.

3.  Even if Shingo gives up a run, we can still win the game.

All of these add up to "low risk" vs the relative "high reward" we get from having a bullpen with several confidant pitchers. 

Also, I don't think Ozzie gives a rat's ass about second guessers, and he shouldn't.  He's the man in charge and should do things his way until KW or JR decide otherwise.

Low risk?

1. We had a chance to gain another game on the Twins with a win. That is huge considering we play them 13 more times in August and September.

2. We had a 1-run lead. It was a SAVE SITUATION. That is what your CLOSER is for.

3. Shingo had pitched 1.2 IP before that final inning. He had the bases loaded with only 1 out. A single could score 2 runs and lose the game.

Edited by Jabroni

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Maybe i'm wrong.  But i'm lookin ahead to August,  September,  and hopefully October.  Do you really think we're gonna do anything with just Pollite,  Cotts,  Marte,  and Hermanson?  And who's to say Pollite,  Cotts,  and Hermanson don't come back to earth a little?  I pray and hope they keep pitching lights out.  But, to be a championship team,  we need Shingo and Vizcaino.  We need those guys in pressure situations.  And tonight was a pressure situation.  And I don't think there's a big difference between being up 10 games compared to 9.

Heh, I won't even bother responding now.

QUOTE(Jabroni @ Jun 30, 2005 -> 02:02 AM)
Low risk?

1.  We had a chance to gain another game on the Twins with a win.  That is huge considering we play them 13 more times in August and September.

2.  We had a 1-run lead.  It was a SAVE SITUATION.  That is what your CLOSER is for.

3.  Shingo had pitched 1.2 IP before that final inning.  He had the bases loaded with only 1 out.  A single could score 2 runs and lose the game.

I used the word "relative" in my post. Of course, the loss would have hurt. But again, I still say that he'd have to attempt straightening Shingo out at some point, and this was a damn good time to take that shot at it.

I used the word "relative" in my post.  Of course, the loss would have hurt.  But again, I still say that he'd have to attempt straightening Shingo out at some point, and this was a damn good time to take that shot at it.

After Shingo had already pitched 1.2 innings? :huh: