Brooks pitches well again

Cerbaho-WG

QUOTE(Chisoxfn @ Jul 7, 2005 -> 02:39 AM)
I have faith in the Sox scouting department.

That's the point I kept reiterating during the draft. It really pisses me off how year in and year out people continue to b**** and moan during the draft about how they can't believe we drafted this guy, and another guy could have been taken 10 rounds later. I mean, I love how so many guys know more than our scouting department. If we take a guy in a certain round, I'm sure the Sox feel that he wouldn't be there later, or else we wouldn't draft him at that point. Also, if the "draft experts" that most people get there info from were so damn good at scouting prospects and projecting where they should be drafted, then why haven't they been hired by a major league team to run their draft for them?

Now, I'm not even just referring to all the negative attitudes when Brooks was drafted, but just a lot of the picks overall. I guess if mlb.com doesn't have a scouting report on one of our top 10-15 picks, it means that player sucks. Well, I think that's bull. Jason, I always appreciate your positive attitude towards things, but I wish I could say that for all of you.

Edited by dasox24

I dont know much about college guys or highschool guys but i kind of wanted us to draft carillo because ive seen him on tv b4 and he looked good plus the fact he is a sox fan and top it off a good sinker fastball... but Broadway has looked good so far i guess.

QUOTE(Chisoxfn @ Jul 7, 2005 -> 12:39 PM)
I'm liking it early, but I don't annoit anyone anything after two outings.  Of course I didn't dislike the pick like so many others did.  I have faith in the Sox scouting department.

Yeah true that, I'd like to see what he could do in Kanny right now, but the Sox have done a good job in the last couple of seasons with the draft.

QUOTE(DBAH0 @ Jul 7, 2005 -> 12:24 AM)
Yeah true that, I'd like to see what he could do in Kanny right now, but the Sox have done a good job in the last couple of seasons with the draft.

It's too early to tell. The 2004 draft is looking a lot worse than it did going into the year. Whisler is struggling mightily, Lumsden hasn't pitched all year, and Fields isn't thriving like we'd hoped. With that said, Lucy is looking better and the other top picks are looking even better (Gio, Liotta). Ultimately you can't say until 5 years down the road, but I still like the 04 draft better talent wise.

QUOTE(danman31 @ Jul 7, 2005 -> 03:32 PM)
It's too early to tell. The 2004 draft is looking a lot worse than it did going into the year. Whisler is struggling mightily, Lumsden hasn't pitched all year, and Fields isn't thriving like we'd hoped. With that said, Lucy is looking better and the other top picks are looking even better (Gio, Liotta). Ultimately you can't say until 5 years down the road, but I still like the 04 draft better talent wise.

Whisler was always going to be a project who was going to take a lot longer than other pitching prospects, and IIRC the Sox thought Lumsden had the best stuff of a college pitcher from where they were selecting. Either way, we got 4 good LHP pitching prospects from our first half a dozen picks.

QUOTE(danman31 @ Jul 6, 2005 -> 09:32 PM)

04 was a good draft. Only pick I hated and still hate was the Whisler pick. I've seen him pitch and he has the ability to throw a lot of pitches and he's got a good arm, but I just don't see any one real good pitch nor does he have the command.

Of course he's in the lower levels for a reason and everyone knew he was raw. I know the Sox like his potential a lot and I guess we will see.

The guy I probably like the most of that draft class pitching wise is Lumsden. He's got the best left handed arm in the system when healthy. Looking forward to a week or two from now when he rejoins the bullpen and eventually a rotation.

QUOTE(Chisoxfn @ Jul 7, 2005 -> 12:33 AM)
04 was a good draft.  Only pick I hated and still hate was the Whisler pick.  I've seen him pitch and he has the ability to throw a lot of pitches and he's got a good arm, but I just don't see any one real good pitch nor does he have the command.

Of course he's in the lower levels for a reason and everyone knew he was raw.  I know the Sox like his potential a lot and I guess we will see.

The guy I probably like the most of that draft class pitching wise is Lumsden.  He's got the best left handed arm in the system when healthy.  Looking forward to a week or two from now when he rejoins the bullpen and eventually a rotation.

I have not seen Tyler pitch but he has a better arm then Gio??

QUOTE(Rowand44 @ Jul 6, 2005 -> 10:38 PM)

No doubt about it. I'm talking about power arm of course. Lummy has an outstanding fastball with some good movement on it. Gio has the better curve, but I have more questions about Gio than most. Of course they are mainly because of potential durability problems, but I also think he needs to be careful that he doesn't rely too much on the curve because at the major league level hitters won't chase his curve and he'll have to be able to spot his fb and change (which I've heard are pretty good at times).

The thing that kills me about Lummy is he's barely been healthy since joining the org.

This is just my random opinions. I also happen to think Sean Tracey has the best arm in the org this side of Bobby Jenks (in terms of minor league prospects).

QUOTE(Chisoxfn @ Jul 7, 2005 -> 12:40 AM)
No doubt about it.  I'm talking about power arm of course.  Lummy has an outstanding fastball with some good movement on it.  Gio has the better curve, but I have more questions about Gio than most.  Of course they are mainly because of potential durability problems, but I also think he needs to be careful that he doesn't rely too much on the curve because at the major league level hitters won't chase his curve and he'll have to be able to spot his fb and change (which I've heard are pretty good at times). 

The thing that kills me about Lummy is he's barely been healthy since joining the org.

This is just my random opinions.  I also happen to think Sean Tracey has the best arm in the org this side of Bobby Jenks (in terms of minor league prospects).

Thanks. I'm interested to see what Lumsden can do when he gets back. Hopefully when he gets back he can stay healthy.

QUOTE(Rowand44 @ Jul 7, 2005 -> 12:38 AM)

Yep. Gio has a great curve, but his fastball is average and he lives on location and pitch selection. Lumsden is flat-out filthy and has a much better fastball.