Jimmy Piersall Can Go To Hell

Winnin Ugly

QUOTE(WHarris1 @ Jul 8, 2005 -> 12:49 AM)
I know I wasn't disagreeing that Pods was average defensively.  I just found his ZR and RF intereting myself.

Agree 100% with you

Deep fly to left field in foul territory. Who else would you want running towards the ball?

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(Gene Honda Civic @ Jul 7, 2005 -> 07:25 PM)
Ask yourself this, Would Podsednik deserve to be in the ASG with his current .289/.363/.337 and 41 SB with the Sox 5 games under .500?

No F'n way. You guys are letting the Sox great record cloud your vision.

He's 20th out of the 21 qualified LFers in terms of OPS. He's in the middle of the pack in avg, and OBP. -- He's an average at best defensive OFer.

Essentially he's a one tool player. He has speed. That's it. That's not an All-Star.

Would Konerko and Garland and MB be in the ASG if the sox were in 3rd place with that record? No f-ing way, because they wouldnt have the stats or the rep to be in it either.

Your whole post is an example of why people who look at stats only know a certain amount about the game of baseball. Instead of looking at his stats and looking at Lf'ers, why dont you look at him compared to other lead-off hitters? OPS is not really a stat that is totally relevant when looking at a #1 hitter, so that comparison is out. His Avg, OBP and pitches per at bat are much more relevant, including his SB total, which is what is expected of a lead off hitter. I will argue that he is one of the top three lead off hitters in the game. That alone deserves an all-star nod, because he would be one of the top three in his position-#1 hitter.

As far as his average at best defensive ability. He may not get the best jumps or have a canon, but how many other LF'ers have the ability to not only bat lead off but play center field as well. He has alot of speed to get to balls that would be out of reach by any standards including our perfect LF'er last year.

You can make a case either way to be in and not in, but comparing him to players in a power hitting position in the OF is silly, compare him to other players that are in his type slot, lead off hitters, and then we can make a case.

QUOTE(The Critic @ Jul 8, 2005 -> 12:26 PM)
And right after Piersall made his comments, he pissed his pants, ran the bases backwards and climbed a fence.

Question: when Derek Jeter needs to take a s***, does he have to pry Rob Dibble's lips off his ass with a crowbar? JESUS, what a love letter THAT was.

I'm glad Podsednik's going, but I wouldn't have cared either way if he didn't win the vote. I'm just glad the "Face Of Baseball" won't be there.

Maybe they can have Jeter throw out the first pitch, run towards the stands and bash his face against a box seat.

ABSOLUTELY HANDS DOWN THE QUOTE OF THE YEAR! NO DOUBT ABOUT IT!

What's this "5 games under" really have to do with this argument anyway? You can't separate the individual player's performance from the team record. PK, JG, and Pods wouldn't be in the all star game in the Sox were under .500 - but they wouldn't have the same numbers in that event anyway! Their accomplishments are what have the Sox at 31 over in the first place.

SFF

Edited by SpringfieldFan