Trades are Flying now.

JDsDirtySox

Where are you guys getting these rumors from? Is there a certain site?

Padres have considered moving Nevin for quite a while now, and Wells fit well in San Diego.

QUOTE(JimH @ Jul 14, 2005 -> 12:55 PM)
Padres have considered moving Nevin or quite a while now, and Wells fit well in San Diego.

San diego was one of the few teams on his list of going to i believe. He would put up some pretty damn good numbers there... as should anyone.

the twins announcers were talking about the trad in the pre game on the radio. and one mentioned that Byrnes is arbitration eligble in the off season so that might be a reason for the trade of him.

I think the Wilson/Day deal intrigues me. I thought Zach Day was one of the Nats good young pitchers. But I then looked at the stats and saw a note that he and Frank Robinson didnt get along. Maybe the Rockeis got a steal in him

QUOTE(Benchwarmerjim @ Jul 14, 2005 -> 08:10 PM)
the twins announcers were talking about the trad in the pre game on the radio. and one mentioned that Byrnes is arbitration eligble in the off season so that might be a reason for the trade of him.

I think the Wilson/Day deal intrigues me. I thought Zach Day was one of the Nats good young pitchers. But I then looked at the stats and saw a note that he and Frank Robinson didnt get along. Maybe the Rockeis got a steal in him

does boone start tonite?

QUOTE(Benchwarmerjim @ Jul 14, 2005 -> 08:15 PM)
yeah. he KO his first at bat. got a hit in his second. The fans really cheered for him.

They interviewed him ont he radio in the pregame. He IS arrogant. lol

I thought the batflip would tell you that ;)

QUOTE(JimH @ Jul 14, 2005 -> 09:55 AM)
Where are you guys getting these rumors from?  Is there a certain site?

Padres have considered moving Nevin for quite a while now, and Wells fit well in San Diego.

Nevin isn't well liked by the fans in San Diego. I don't remember the particulars of what he did, but to say the least, he fell out of love within the city and to a lesser extent the organization.

He always plays hard and is a good player though. However, they can easily move Klesko over to 1st (which is where he prefers playing).

They are also totally fed up with Burroughs and would package him in a deal, but they are worried they won't get enough for him (cause his trade value is pretty low).

Phillies general manager Ed Wade would not confirm or deny last night that the club is trying to trade veteran first baseman Jim Thome. According to a report in USA Today Sports Weekly, two National League teams claim that the Phils are shopping Thome, who is on the disabled list with tendinitis in his right elbow. "I don't comment on trade rumors," Wade said before the Phillies met Florida at Citizens Bank Park. Trading Thome would be difficult for several reasons. First, he is in the third year of a six-year, $85 million contract and few teams can afford that payout. Second, he has a complete no-trade clause, so he must approve any trade. Third, he turns 35 on Aug. 27. According to the published report, officials from two National League clubs said the Phillies have been trying to deal Thome before the July 31 trade deadline. The teams were asked by the Phils not to publicly convey their intentions, the report said.

Phillies general manager Ed Wade would not confirm or deny last night that the club is trying to trade veteran first baseman Jim Thome. According to a report in USA Today Sports Weekly, two National League teams claim that the Phils are shopping Thome, who is on the disabled list with tendinitis in his right elbow. "I don't comment on trade rumors," Wade said before the Phillies met Florida at Citizens Bank Park. Trading Thome would be difficult for several reasons. First, he is in the third year of a six-year, $85 million contract and few teams can afford that payout. Second, he has a complete no-trade clause, so he must approve any trade. Third, he turns 35 on Aug. 27. According to the published report, officials from two National League clubs said the Phillies have been trying to deal Thome before the July 31 trade deadline. The teams were asked by the Phils not to publicly convey their intentions, the report said.

Wow, interesting. That's what happens when you overpay these guys. Did not know Thome is going to be 35 already.

I don't blame the Phils for trying to dump some of these guys, they made some serious personnel mistakes and their chemistry is for s***.

Wow would Thome be an incredible pick up. The thing would be that we have payroll room because we would pick up 8.75 million just by not bringing back Konerko. At that point we are only looking at about $6 million extra a year. Plus that gives us some legit lefty thump in the middle of the line up.

If Thome was healthy I wonder if the Phils would be as willing to deal him. The guy has produced during his tenure in Philly and my guess is he will continue to produce.

As long as his back is still alright (and this injury isn't related to it) I'd have to think some teams would take a flyer on him. He'd be an impact pick-up assuming he'd be healthy enough to play down the stretch.

Still he won't fit on the Sox. Not this year at least.

QUOTE(Chisoxfn @ Jul 15, 2005 -> 11:53 AM)
If Thome was healthy I wonder if the Phils would be as willing to deal him.  The guy has produced during his tenure in Philly and my guess is he will continue to produce. 

As long as his back is still alright (and this injury isn't related to it) I'd have to think some teams would take a flyer on him.  He'd be an impact pick-up assuming he'd be healthy enough to play down the stretch. 

Still he won't fit on the Sox.  Not this year at least.

I'm not thinking of this year in terms of Thome. I am thinking of the next 3 years.