Burnett now not likely going to Orioles

maggsmaggs

http://www.baltimoresun.com/sports/bal-sp....ports-headlines

The source said the team, including owner Peter Angelos, has cooled on the idea of dealing for the 28-year-old Burnett because he is expected to file for free agency at season's end - making him a two-month rental.

And there are those within the organization who wonder if Burnett, who has never won more than 12 games in a season, would make the transition to the American League quickly enough to lead the Orioles to a postseason berth.

To further hamstring the proposed deal with Florida, the Orioles have all but decided they don't want to acquire Florida third baseman Mike Lowell, even if half of the $21 million owed to him through 2007 is picked up by the Marlins or another team.

If we can trade for him and try to sign him, I find the money pretty reasonable, but he Burnett wants a 4-year deal.

He is believed to be seeking a four-year deal worth at least $8 million a year. Any contract extension with the Orioles would have to represent "free-agent-type money," one industry source said. The Orioles have been reluctant in the past to give such large deals to pitchers.

Maybe a 3-year deal worth $ 25 million, plus a 4th year option at $9 million based on innings pitched. Dunno, just something to think about. I am getting confident that we will get Burnett.

QUOTE(Dick Allen @ Jul 23, 2005 -> 08:42 AM)
Ken Rosenthal of the Sporting News said Florida is going to pull the takining Lowell requirement and that the Marlins want Marte and BMac for Burnett.

I'd do Marte and Bmac for Burnett. Especially if they could relock him.

QUOTE(Dick Allen @ Jul 23, 2005 -> 10:42 AM)
Ken Rosenthal of the Sporting News said Florida is going to pull the taking of Lowell requirement and that the Marlins want Marte and BMac for Burnett.

I would too, especially if we could get one of : Ron Villone, Mike Gonzalez, or John Grabow. I doubt he could get Wagner, which would be ideal. But Kenny will not trade Marte unless he has a deal for another lefty. My guess is that Kenny has a lot of confidence in Jenks and can take a little downgrade in the pen for a huge upgrade in the rotation.

Edited by maggsmaggs

Remember, the Sox also could than move Duque or Contreras to the pen which I guess the Sox seem to think would be a goove moe. To me this trade either means one of Jose/Duque would be going for a reliever (I'd prefer dealing Duque myself) or the Sox slide one of them to the pen and dangle Viz and a prospect for a lefty reliever.

One of Duque/Contreras moves to the pen to replace Viz while Viz and a good prospect or two get the Sox a lefty reliever.

QUOTE(Chisoxfn @ Jul 23, 2005 -> 11:59 AM)
Remember, the Sox also could than move Duque or Contreras to the pen which I guess the Sox seem to think would be a goove moe.  To me this trade either means one of Jose/Duque would be going for a reliever (I'd prefer dealing Duque myself) or the Sox slide one of them to the pen and dangle Viz and a prospect for a lefty reliever.

One of Duque/Contreras moves to the pen to replace Viz while Viz and a good prospect or two get the Sox a lefty reliever.

JC would be terrible in the pen.

Duque i could see doing well though.

If we get Burnett w/o having to give up Contreras, then the deal would make more sense. I think a lot depends on how Duque looks today. If he has a rough start, KW might feel like he's not the type of pitcher he can trust against playoff level teams.

QUOTE(EvilJester99 @ Jul 23, 2005 -> 05:03 PM)
I'd rather give up Contreras than give up Marte...

Ditto.

I'd do Contreras + Sweeney + Gonzo/Lopez for Burnett, with us eating part of Contreras' salary. And like I said, no need to offer him a long term deal if they feel he's not worth it -- offer him arbitration, and if he declines, the Sox get two first round/comp picks.

I just don't want to lose such a key part of the bullpen in Marte...

QUOTE(VAfan @ Jul 23, 2005 -> 05:15 PM)
I still don't get all the drooling over AJ Burnett.  Great stuff, but really poor performances.  No track record at all of winning or even eating innings.  He's a 6 inning pitcher.  Aack.  Let the O's have him.

All along, I've been saying I want KW to get the f*** away from Florida. If we can get him for Marte and McCarthy, while resigning him for the future, that wouldn't be so bad. However, we'd probably have to give up more for him, and rumor is that he doesn't want to sign until FA begins.

QUOTE(VAfan @ Jul 23, 2005 -> 11:15 AM)
I still don't get all the drooling over AJ Burnett.  Great stuff, but really poor performances.  No track record at all of winning or even eating innings.  He's a 6 inning pitcher.  Aack.  Let the O's have him.

In the playoffs who do you want to see Contreras/Duque or Burnett. Obviiusly not Count and not Duque who is not the same El-Duque from with the Yanks in the playoffs.

The other part of this is I read Philadelphia did tell KW he could have Wagner for Burnett. Then it becomes Marte/BMac for Wagner. Watching Hermanson last night, and for about the last 4 or 5 weeks, I really think it might be a good idea for the White Sox to get a closer. And I know people are going to jump all over me for that, because I think Hermy only has 1 blown save. Just when you're ripping, remember Shingo was 8 for 9 in save chances, and people were willing to pay for his plane ticket out of town. Wagner would be a godsend. However, you may be able to get Guardado for a cheaper price.

Edited by Dick Allen

QUOTE(Dick Allen @ Jul 23, 2005 -> 05:23 PM)
The other part of this is I read Philadelphia did tell KW he could have Wagner for Burnett. Then it becomes Marte/BMac for Wagner. Watching Hermanson last night, and for about the last 4 or 5 weeks, I really think it might be a good idea for the White Sox to get a closer. And I know people are going to jump all over me for that, because I think Hermy only has 1 blown save. Just when you're ripping, remember Shingo was 8 for 9 in save chances, and people were willing to pay for his plane ticket out of town.  Wagner would be a godsend. However, you may be able to get Guardado for a cheaper price.

I couldn't agree more with your Hermanson perspective. Hermanson was fooling every hitter he faced earlier in the year with his splitter. However, hitters are laying off that pitch now, and an 88 mph fastball gets hit very hard in the majors. Don't get me wrong, he's been great this year. However, getting a closer wouldn't be the worst thing we could do.

QUOTE(EvilJester99 @ Jul 23, 2005 -> 05:31 PM)
ESPN Radio just reported Ponson was traded to San Diego but I didn't hear for who though..anyone else hear this report??

for Phil Nevin, I just read. Sounds like an awful trade for the Padres.

QUOTE(Dick Allen @ Jul 23, 2005 -> 12:23 PM)
The other part of this is I read Philadelphia did tell KW he could have Wagner for Burnett. Then it becomes Marte/BMac for Wagner. Watching Hermanson last night, and for about the last 4 or 5 weeks, I really think it might be a good idea for the White Sox to get a closer. And I know people are going to jump all over me for that, because I think Hermy only has 1 blown save. Just when you're ripping, remember Shingo was 8 for 9 in save chances, and people were willing to pay for his plane ticket out of town.  Wagner would be a godsend. However, you may be able to get Guardado for a cheaper price.

That would be a terrible trade then because we're essentially swapping left-handed relievers while also giving up our best pitching prospect.

QUOTE(Frankensteiner @ Jul 23, 2005 -> 05:34 PM)
That would be a terrible trade then because we're essentially swapping left-handed relievers while also giving up our best pitching prospect.

I wouldn't consider Marte for Wagner as swapping relievers, if you know what I mean. However, I thought Wagner has said he might retire after this season.

Also, why would the Phillies give up Wagner now? They're on a pretty good run, and have a solid chance at the NL Wild Card. Not only that, but AJ Burnett looked awful at Philadelphia last week. I can't see why the Phillies would want Burnett.