Is Frank done for the year?

VAfan

I'm betting that even if frank does come back this year, his career will be over after this season. at least w/ the sox anyway. he may stick around to try to get 500 hrs, but i doubt it will be with the sox. i'll be sad to see him go, as i have always loved watching him crush the ball. however, after this season anyway, it's time for him to go

QUOTE(DukeNukeEm @ Jul 23, 2005 -> 05:36 PM)
f*** Frank.

His had a great career with the White Sox.  But for this team he just cannot help anymore.

He's more valuable as a PH than a Regular Batter.

Everett should play a lot more DH, and Ozzie knows that.

Yeah, f*** that .908 OPS he put up for us while not at 100%.

f*** his .997 OPS that he put up last year when he was fully healthy.

More valuable as a pinch-hitter? I'm sure as hell glad you're not anywhere near the team's front-office...

QUOTE(Yossarian @ Jul 24, 2005 -> 12:37 PM)
Very cold and hard, but probably the way Kenny will look at it. On another note, with Frank's age, the number and nature of his injuries the last few years, it would not surprise me if we won't see Frank again after this year. I'm not even sure we'll see him again this year. I'm not an expert but to me his swing and his running looked labored of late. It showed in his BA. I'm as big a Frank Thomas fan as anyone, and in light of the steroid situation I have more respect for him than ever. It just the facts, and what my eyes tell me. It's near the end of the line.

Well damn. Of course his swing and running looked labored. He was trying to play on a bum ankle. That doesn't mean the ankle won't heal. He could be done, but we don't know that yet.

QUOTE(YASNY @ Jul 24, 2005 -> 08:02 PM)
Well damn.  Of course his swing and running looked labored.  He was trying to play on a bum ankle. That doesn't mean the ankle won't heal.  He could be done, but we don't know that yet.

Believe me I don't want him to be done. I'm not sure he is, I just am afraid that he is. It won't be the first time a great player had to shut it down earlier than he wanted to.

I'm sure they have all the scenerios given to them by doctors about Frank's ankle. He has already stated he won't be 100% at anytime this season. I think you have to proceed like he won't be back this season. As far as next year, I think that all depends on who the Sox acquire before the deadline and whether they sign them or not. Frank gets a $3.5 million buyout. He has been paid approximately $80 million by the White Sox during his career. He's had a great career but the last few he's been very injury-prone. He can only DH. Call it disrespectful, call it cold, we've all heard JR would never let Frank play anywhere else, but it probably is the wise thing to do at this point in time. Letting him go with a $3.5 million going away gift is far more classy than what Ron Schueler did to Carlton Fisk.

QUOTE(Dick Allen @ Jul 25, 2005 -> 07:34 AM)
I'm sure they have all the scenerios given to them by doctors about Frank's ankle. He has already stated he won't be 100% at anytime this season. I think you have to proceed like he won't be back this season. As far as next year, I think that all depends on who the Sox acquire before the deadline and whether they sign them or not. Frank gets a $3.5 million buyout. He has been paid approximately $80 million by the White Sox during his career. He's had a great career but the last few he's been very injury-prone. He can only DH. Call it disrespectful, call it cold, we've all heard JR would never let Frank play anywhere else, but it probably is the wise thing to do at this point in time. Letting him go with a $3.5 million going away gift is far more classy than what Ron Schueler did to Carlton Fisk.

That's true. It's not like Schueler kept a guy on the roster who couldn't catch or hit anymore just so he could break the record for most games caught.

QUOTE(Dick Allen @ Jul 25, 2005 -> 08:34 AM)

Umm.. they kept Fisk on the team so he could break the record.

QUOTE(Dick Allen @ Jul 25, 2005 -> 10:22 AM)
And they let him fly to Cleveland and released him.

So...the fact that kept him on was the greatest compliment they could pay him. What's the difference where they released him?

QUOTE(ptatc @ Jul 25, 2005 -> 11:35 AM)
So...the fact that kept him on was the greatest compliment they could pay him. What's the difference where they released him?

To Fisk the record was more important that the airfare he had to dish out.

But I agree... it was bulls***.

QUOTE(ptatc @ Jul 25, 2005 -> 10:35 AM)

Why would you make a guy fly to Cleveland just to release him? What would be so difficult just releasing him before he went to Cleveland. I remember his teammates being very pissed off. They kept him on because JR ordered it. It had nothing to do with Schueler.

QUOTE(Dick Allen @ Jul 25, 2005 -> 10:38 AM)
Why would you make a guy fly to Cleveland just to release him? What would be so difficult just releasing him before he went to Cleveland. I remember his teammates being very pissed off. They kept him on because JR ordered it. It had nothing to do with Schueler.

Right. JR is the softy everyone potraits him to be. Scueler was doing the smart baseball decision by trying to get rid of a player who couldn't play anymore.

It doesn't matter if the players were pissed. Do you want a better team or do you want to have a player who can't play on the roster?

If they chose the worse team, I wouldn't want them here.

Edited by ptatc

QUOTE(ptatc @ Jul 25, 2005 -> 10:41 AM)
Right. JR is the softy everyone potraits him to be. Scueler was doing the smart baseball decision by trying to get rid of a player who couldn't play anymore.

It doesn't matter if the players were pissed. Do you want a better team or do you want to have a player who can't play on the roster?

If they chose the worse team, I wouldn't want them here.

Which, if you go to my first post, is exactly what I'm saying about Frank. He's been great, but the years are catching up to him. The wise thing to do at this point is give him his payout, thank him for the memories and retire his number. He's not going to be worth the money he's going to want anymore. Last year's ankle injury was far more serious than anyone let on.

QUOTE(ptatc @ Jul 25, 2005 -> 11:41 AM)

I wouldn't go that far.. :lol: But the logic at the time was on the right track.

QUOTE(Dick Allen @ Jul 25, 2005 -> 11:46 AM)
Last year's ankle injury was far more serious than anyone let on.

It broke. I don't really know how much more or less serious it could have been reported.. :huh

QUOTE(Dick Allen @ Jul 25, 2005 -> 10:46 AM)
Which, if you go to my first post, is exactly what I'm saying about Frank. He's been great, but the years are catching up to him. The wise thing to do at this point is give him his payout, thank him for the memories and retire his number. He's not going to be worth the money he's going to want anymore. Last year's ankle injury was far more serious than anyone let on.

I agree. If he can't play cut him lose. But I think with an off season of rehab he can come back as a good DH.

QUOTE(Steff @ Jul 25, 2005 -> 10:48 AM)
It broke. I don't really know how much more or less serious it could have been reported..  :huh

Certain bones heal differently than others. Some have better blood supplies, others due to the shape. I know we've discussed this before but I never thought he would be fully healthy this year if he came back too soon. I was wrong that he couldn't hit early but he couldn't handle the running. With a few weeks off he may be able to play for a few weeks before it gets bad again. Hopefully, he can play into Oct. It will just depend on the infalmmation of the soft tissues of the foot and his pain tolerance.

QUOTE(ptatc @ Jul 25, 2005 -> 11:54 AM)
Certain bones heal differently than others. Some have better blood supplies, others due to the shape. I know we've discussed this before but I never thought he would be fully healthy this year if he came back too soon. I was wrong that he couldn't hit early but he couldn't handle the running. With a few weeks off he may be able to play for a few weeks before it gets bad again. Hopefully, he can play into Oct. It will just depend on the infalmmation of the soft tissues of the foot and his pain tolerance.

I'm aware..

Apparently my point was lost somewhere.

QUOTE(Steff @ Jul 25, 2005 -> 10:55 AM)
I'm aware..

Apparently my point was lost somewhere.

Sorry, my point was I think they downplayed the seriousness of the injury and were far too optimistic about his return. There were far too mny other things going on and he shouldn't have come back as soon as he did, for his overall health.

Now, we know that the team's winning takes priority so they gave it a try and he was able to contribute for a little while. They'll try it again for the stretch run and playoffs. Hopefully with another off season of rehab he will be able to return to playing full time.