Joey Cora

Bridgeport Sox

I know i don't post much but this has been bothing me for some time now. I cannot believe he sent Paulie home on that base hit. All season long (and last season) he has been sending runners home on close plays and has been getting lucky, and when he's not lucky they are out by a mile. I love the Sox but I think we should can him after this season.

What do you guys think?

QUOTE(Bridgeport Sox @ Jul 23, 2005 -> 12:38 PM)
I know i don't post much but this has been bothing me for some time now. I cannot believe he sent Paulie home on that base hit. All season long (and last season) he has been sending runners home on close plays and has been getting lucky, and when he's not lucky they are out by a mile. I love the Sox but I think we should can him after this season.

What do you guys think?

It was a good decision. Manny Ramirez screws that throw up 9 out of 10 times. This was the 10th. The White Sox have to stay aggressive, they don't have the overwhelming talent to play it safe. Same play tonight: send him again!

QUOTE(TLAK @ Jul 23, 2005 -> 05:42 PM)
It was a good decision.  Manny Ramirez screws that throw up 9 out of 10 times.  This was the 10th.  The White Sox have to stay aggressive, they don't have the overwhelming talent to play it safe.  Same play tonight: send him again!

Manny leads the league in assists with 12. Cora better not make that same play tonight. When it comes to PK and Frank on the bases, you need to play it safe.

QUOTE(fathom @ Jul 23, 2005 -> 12:44 PM)
Manny leads the league in assists with 12.  Cora better not make that same play tonight.  When it comes to PK and Frank on the bases, you need to play it safe.

You only get 12 assists when EVERYBODY runs on you. There is a reason everybody runs on you.

QUOTE(fathom @ Jul 23, 2005 -> 11:44 AM)
Manny leads the league in assists with 12.  Cora better not make that same play tonight.  When it comes to PK and Frank on the bases, you need to play it safe.

It's supposed to be Cora's job to know the opposing outfielders, and he should have known that. Everone knows not to send Paulie on a play like that

QUOTE(TLAK @ Jul 23, 2005 -> 05:45 PM)
You only get 12 assists when EVERYBODY runs on you.  There is a reason everybody runs on you.

Yep, but he's shown an ability to actually throw the runner out. We're not talking about Rondell White or Tom Goodwin in the outfield. Manny is a bad outfielder, but mostly with his lazy play trying to catch the ball. His throwing arm is clearly his best defensive attribute.

The reason to be so aggressive is to put pressure on the defense, and Ramirez is definitely one guy you need to put the screws to when you get a shot. However, we all know Konerko is s-l-o-w, and his lack of speed takes that it from forcing the defense to make a tough play to forcing the defense to execute a fairly routine one. That ball was hit extremely hard, and any left fielder, including Ramirez, would have thrown out Konerko.

It was a bad decision by Cora, but those calls are made on the fly. I was screaming at the TV when it happened, but it didn't come back to bite us in the rear end. We won the game so Joey gets a pass on this one, IMHO.

Cora ain't going anywhere. He made one mistake last night.

For those saying to send him again...uh no. Manny had that ball as soon as PK tagged 3rd base. It's not like the ball was a deep base hit. It was a liner hit in front of Manny(not over his head). Cora should know PK's speed. If you look at the replay, PK wasn't even in the picture when Varitek got the ball. Manny probably could've hit the cutoff man and the cutoff man still would've gotten him out.

QUOTE(Bridgeport Sox @ Jul 23, 2005 -> 11:38 AM)

What do you guys think?

Prob the best 3rd base coach in a long time, that the Sox have had!

He's a keeper! Would help if Konerko ran hard all the way!

QUOTE(Bridgeport Sox @ Jul 23, 2005 -> 12:38 PM)

What do you guys think?

you want to fire him over a couple plays? for the most part he has done ver well. Ozzie is an aggressive manager. Cora fits that mold. I like it. I don't want to be laid back. I want to go at them. Konerko was out by a mile , yes. But plays like that definately shows what we are all about, "win or die trying".

QUOTE(Bridgeport Sox @ Jul 23, 2005 -> 11:38 AM)

What do you guys think?

This is one of the most uninformed posts in along time.

You really have NO basis for this argument.

Was it a bad choice by Joey...yes.

Can you please tell me the numerous other mistakes he made to warrant your dismissal of him?!?

Hmmm??

This is getting ridiculous!!!

The negative posts are now going from just pessimistic to downright asinine.

Some people do not deserve this team.

Edited by RibbieRubarb

There are three glaring problems I have with Cora this season:

1. Not sending Podsednik at Wrigley

2. Sending Frank v. A's

3. Sending PK v. Red Sox

...other than that, the guy does a nice job of keeping the runners aggressive on the basepaths--same as Rock.

Plus, it's Ozzie's double-play partner, c'mon mang. :D