The AJ Burnett 24 Hour Window Thread

AddisonStSox

QUOTE(AddisonStSox @ Jul 25, 2005 -> 10:10 AM)
No.  Effing'.  Way.

He actually said "Burnett will be with the White Sox, let me rephrase that, Kenny Williams is trying very hard to acquire Burnett whether he is a rental or not."

• Replies 846
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(kyyle23 @ Jul 25, 2005 -> 09:18 AM)
He actually said "Burnett will be with the White Sox, let me rephrase that, Kenny Williams is trying very hard to acquire Burnett whether he is a rental or not."

no kiddin? when was this?

My buddy works for the sox, and mentioned that there was alot of activity going on there in the last few days. These are the names that I was given as discussed in the offices.

A.J. Burnett

Billy Wagner

Jason Schmidt

Alfonso Soriano

QUOTE(RockRaines @ Jul 25, 2005 -> 09:20 AM)
My buddy works for the sox, and mentioned that there was alot of activity going on there in the last few days. These are the names that I was given as discussed in the offices.

A.J. Burnett

Billy Wagner

Jason Schmidt

Alfonso Soriano

very interesting about soriano, tho i know most here dont want him, i think its interesting the sox actually have an interest, cuz thus far it has just been pure speculation, and quite frankly still is, but at least this aint just some random persons idea, assuming its true

QUOTE(daa84 @ Jul 25, 2005 -> 10:20 AM)
no kiddin? when was this?

between 9:30 and 9:45 this morning., when he was on with Carmen and Silvy. He said a couple of things that surprised me.

QUOTE(RockRaines @ Jul 25, 2005 -> 09:20 AM)

A.J. Burnett

Billy Wagner

Jason Schmidt

Alfonso Soriano

I mentioned Soriano in another thread yesterday. If Thomas is presumed out, he would make an interesting DH. He can hit for power and can run like the wind. He doesn't get much of an opportunity to run with Texas, but stole about 35-40 bases a year when he was with the Yankees. I would prefer a LH batter, but Soriano would add a lot to the offense.

QUOTE(JimH @ Jul 25, 2005 -> 09:24 AM)
It is great the front office is being aggressive.

...just thinking the same thing.

If Kenny nets Burnett, he would have acquired the two most covetted starting pitchers available at the trade deadline in consecutive years. Now, that's impressive.

QUOTE(AddisonStSox @ Jul 25, 2005 -> 10:26 AM)
...just thinking the same thing.

If Kenny nets Burnett, he would have acquired the two most covetted starting pitchers available at the trade deadline in consecutive years.  Now, that's impressive.

You could argue three in a row. even though it wasnt at the deadline, Bartolo Colon the year before was a pretty big heist.

QUOTE(kyyle23 @ Jul 25, 2005 -> 09:24 AM)
between 9:30 and 9:45 this morning., when he was on with Carmen and Silvy.  He said a couple of things that surprised me.

if that was really how he phrased it, id say its gonna get done and ill believe what anthrax said earlier

QUOTE(SoxFanForever @ Jul 25, 2005 -> 10:34 AM)
Big heist, thats an understatement.

well, if you include all of the cheeseburgers and fries that were necassary to consummate the deal, it was a ginormous heist.

QUOTE(RockRaines @ Jul 25, 2005 -> 10:31 AM)
At this point, I just want something to happen, PLease!!!!! Just trade something, f***, get us a different massage table, just make some sort of a move!!!

Serioulsy, the week or 2 before the deadline is always the worst. Always wondering what is going to happen, when it is going to be announced and made official. The suspense is killing me!

QUOTE(kyyle23 @ Jul 25, 2005 -> 09:35 AM)
Another thing that Bruce said that surprised me was that they are thinking really hard about turning Contreras into a closer if they acquire Burnett.

ive said this many times before that they always envisioned contreras being a closer. before they got him for esteban, and found shingo, they tried trading for him about a month earlier with the intention of making him the closer. they must really see something in contreras that would make him a strong closer. i know his #s as a reliever with the yankees were much better, and iirc someone pulled his 1st innings stats from last year and the year before and they were tremendous

QUOTE(daa84 @ Jul 25, 2005 -> 10:36 AM)
if that was really how he phrased it, id say its gonna get done and ill believe what anthrax said earlier

I couldnt believe it when i heard it either. i started pointing to the radio saying "Ooooh, you basically announced it bruce". But he said it, and then backtracked a bit.

QUOTE(kyyle23 @ Jul 25, 2005 -> 03:37 PM)
well, if you include all of the cheeseburgers and fries that were necassary to consummate the deal, it was a ginormous heist.

Reminds me of the photoshopped pic of him chasing the donut off the mound. I can't get that outta my head when I think of him.

QUOTE(southsideirish71 @ Jul 25, 2005 -> 08:17 AM)
Marte's problems are not the lingering arm problems. Its his mechanics.  He had the same exact problem last year.  He short arms the fastball rushing the delivery too much and the ball sails.  This is why he broke Chavez's hand last year.  Its why he doesnt feel comfortable going against lefties and gets deep into counts.  When he follows through on his fastball its a crisp 94-95mph with movement in on righties away from lefties.  When he short arms it, it sails into lefties and high and away.  Its a Rick Ankiel type pitch.  If you watch his meatballs, its always when he slows down his delivery a bit, and takes it down to 91 without any movement.  He aims it at that point. 

But I agree when Hawk starts to do a number on someone, HE GONE!!!!!

Perfect Post. I have felt this way for some time. He shorts arm a lot nowadays and that's why he is less effective and that's why he has bad control. He doesn't follow through on his pitches at all and that's a problem.

QUOTE(daa84 @ Jul 25, 2005 -> 10:38 AM)
ive said this many times before that they always envisioned contreras being a closer. before they got him for esteban, and found shingo, they tried trading for him about a month earlier with the intention of making him the closer. they must really see something in contreras that would make him a strong closer. i know his #s as a reliever with the yankees were much better, and iirc someone pulled his 1st innings stats from last year and the year before and they were tremendous

I think they see his "stuff" as being closer-type stuff. A hard moving fastball and a forkball that falls off the table.

QUOTE(daa84 @ Jul 25, 2005 -> 09:38 AM)

I wonder if his first inning against Detroit last week was the last piece of convincing they needed to think he could excel there. He struck out the side and made their hitters, who are pretty damn good, look silly.

QUOTE(SoxFanForever @ Jul 25, 2005 -> 10:39 AM)
Reminds me of the photoshopped pic of him chasing the donut off the mound.  I can't get that outta my head when I think of him.

LOL, I would like to see this picture.

QUOTE(Milkman delivers @ Jul 25, 2005 -> 09:36 AM)
I wonder if Soriano can do the little things at all.  He wouldn't really get a chance to have to bunt or move a guy over in an offense like the Rangers or Yankees.  He can steal, that's for damn sure.  He'd seem perfect if he were LH.  I'm still up for getting him.

Soriano is on pace for 40 homers. He wouldn't be used to move guys over.

QUOTE(Dick Allen @ Jul 25, 2005 -> 10:41 AM)
Soriano is on pace for 40 homers. He wouldn't be used to move guys over.

I'm talking about in certain situations. Just asking can he bunt and/or move runners over. Like I said, I'd like to get him.

Wonder what it would take?