why do we want burnett?

thelatinoheat_30

i agree with one of those guys on sports page last nite, kevin matthews. so far, the team hasn't messed up our chance at winning the whole thing. the thing is hopefully management doesn't mess it up.

why do we want to trade possibly contreras, marte, and mac for burnett, a career .500 pitcher? there's no getting around it, and he has had injuries. on top of this, he wants 40 mil over 4 years. this smells a lot like the pavano situation. AND we're getting saddled w/ lowell's ridiculous contract. this does more harm than good. i dunno if crede gets traded too, but crede and contreras > burnett and lowell in the big picture.

QUOTE(thelatinoheat_30 @ Jul 25, 2005 -> 02:15 PM)
i agree with one of those guys on sports page last nite, kevin matthews.  so far, the team hasn't messed up our chance at winning the whole thing.  the thing is hopefully management doesn't mess it up. 

why do we want to trade possibly contreras, marte, and mac for burnett, a career .500 pitcher? there's no getting around it, and he has had injuries.  on top of this, he wants 40 mil over 4 years.  this smells a lot like the pavano situation.  AND we're getting saddled w/ lowell's ridiculous contract.  this does more harm than good.  i dunno if crede gets traded too, but crede and contreras > burnett and lowell in the big picture.

Burnett+Lowell>Marte, those are your three actual MLB players in this trade that are contributing to their respective teams. Sorry

QUOTE(RockRaines @ Jul 25, 2005 -> 01:22 PM)
Burnett+Lowell>Marte, those are your three actual MLB players in this trade that are contributing to their respective teams.  Sorry

what are you talking about? isn't crede's defense and clutch hitting contributing? didn't contreras win 3 of the last 4, including beating the bo sox?

QUOTE(thelatinoheat_30 @ Jul 25, 2005 -> 02:28 PM)
what are you talking about?  isn't crede's defense and clutch hitting contributing?  didn't contreras win 3 of the last 4, including beating the bo sox?

Yes. But Crede is not going to be traded, and Lowell is a bat on the bench that can spell Kong and Crede. Not sure what you are talking about, because they arent trading JC or Crede according to the rumors.

QUOTE(thelatinoheat_30 @ Jul 25, 2005 -> 01:28 PM)
what are you talking about?  isn't crede's defense and clutch hitting contributing?  didn't contreras win 3 of the last 4, including beating the bo sox?

just b/c lowell might be coming doesn't mean he will take crede's job. its called depth and insurance. the more you have the better off you are.

QUOTE(thelatinoheat_30 @ Jul 25, 2005 -> 02:28 PM)

Lowell = Insurance

Who's to say that Contreras has to go to the pen? Duque might go there.

QUOTE(RockRaines @ Jul 25, 2005 -> 01:29 PM)
Yes. But Crede is not going to be traded, and Lowell is a bat on the bench that can spell Kong and Crede.  Not sure what you are talking about, because they arent trading JC or Crede according to the rumors.

the latest rumors had contreras, marte, and mac in the deal for burnett and lowell. also, are you sure you want a player for insurance that costs 18 mil over the next 2 years? i don't know how a player making that much money will take being an insurance policy anyway.

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Jul 25, 2005 -> 02:31 PM)
This was what DeLuca wrote today in the Sun Times...if anything, this team needs a backup for Hermanson, not another starting pitcher.  Even one of the other guys discussed here won't give us that.

well from what i can see, if we get burnett, either JC/duke will be moved to the bullpen. Try one of those guys as setup/closer type

QUOTE(Soxnbears01 @ Jul 25, 2005 -> 01:34 PM)
well from what i can see, if we get burnett, either JC/duke will be moved to the bullpen.  Try one of those guys as setup/closer type

How about trying someone at closer that shops at the big and tall store that is already on the team, JENKS!!!!!!.

JC will probably be moved to the pen, filthy stuff and imagine facing him for one or two innings only. He could be unhittable. It however makes more sense to move El Duque in the pen so we can save his arm for the playoffs.

thanx to balta for the article that backs up my point.

Certainly, Burnett is an upgrade over Jose Contreras, whose inconsistency has tested the Sox' patience to the point he would be the easy choice pushed overboard if a starter were acquired.

But in the postseason, whom does Burnett push out of the rotation?

All-Stars Mark Buehrle or Jon Garland? No way.

Guillen's close friend Freddy Garcia? Doubtful.

Orlando Hernandez, the pitcher acquired mainly for his 10-3 record in 17 postseason outings? That would waste Williams' brilliant planning.

But if Hermanson is ailing come October, leaving the closing chores to left-hander Damaso Marte or right-hander Cliff Politte seems a giant risk to take when facing the slugging teams awaiting the Sox in the postseason.

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Jul 25, 2005 -> 01:31 PM)
This was what DeLuca wrote today in the Sun Times...if anything, this team needs a backup for Hermanson, not another starting pitcher.  Even one of the other guys discussed here won't give us that.

This team could use a backup for Hermy it is true, but if the Phillies arent dealing Wagner, and (as I read in an earlier thread) Seattle has said they are not dealing Guardado, then this deal fills two other holes on the team. It improves the rotation and the infield depth, to the point where if Crede's back continues to have problems, Pablo Ozuna does not become an everyday player.

QUOTE(thelatinoheat_30 @ Jul 25, 2005 -> 02:33 PM)
the latest rumors had contreras, marte, and mac in the deal for burnett and lowell.  also, are you sure you want a player for insurance that costs 18 mil over the next 2 years?  i don't know how a player making that much money will take being an insurance policy anyway.

No they didnt, Marte, BMAC, thats it. KW wouldnt get ripped off like that. Secondly, the Marlins are going to pay some of the salary for Lowell, so thats not what he is owed. Next, if we aquire AJ, we then move on of our starters to the pen, which either adds to the set up role, or moves LV, who is good against lefties, into Marte's role, and JC or El Duque into long relief. Done and Done.

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Jul 25, 2005 -> 07:31 PM)

KW will still be shopping. Here is his list so far.

Right handed bat off bench... check.

Backup for Crede's back... check.

More pitching for Ozzie... check.

Someone who can pitch long relief... check

Big Bat in case Frank can't perform...

One more reliable arm in bullpen...

Vizquel at short Uribe to utility...

Order World Series Rings...

He still hasn't really spent JR's money yet.

QUOTE(illinilaw08 @ Jul 25, 2005 -> 02:37 PM)
This team could use a backup for Hermy it is true, but if the Phillies arent dealing Wagner, and (as I read in an earlier thread) Seattle has said they are not dealing Guardado, then this deal fills two other holes on the team.  It improves the rotation and the infield depth, to the point where if Crede's back continues to have problems, Pablo Ozuna does not become an everyday player.

Great Post. For you "get RP" people in this thread, who is your magic RP? Its not Wagner, and its not Guardado, because they arent available. So who next???

QUOTE(RockRaines @ Jul 25, 2005 -> 03:40 PM)
Great Post.  For you "get RP" people in this thread, who is your magic RP?  Its not Wagner, and its not Guardado, because they arent available.  So who next???

Scott Eyre......duh!

QUOTE(SoxFan1 @ Jul 25, 2005 -> 02:43 PM)
Scott Eyre......duh!

FWIW, the only RP that i see available that could be added to our pen is Villone. He wouldnt be too expensive and can get LH hitters out. But I would feel perfectly fine just losing Marte and putting JC in the long relief role, and putting LV in the other set up role against LH hitters.

QUOTE(RockRaines @ Jul 25, 2005 -> 01:38 PM)
No they didnt, Marte, BMAC, thats it.  KW wouldnt get ripped off like that.  Secondly, the Marlins are going to pay some of the salary for Lowell, so thats not what he is owed.  Next, if we aquire AJ, we then move on of our starters to the pen, which either adds to the set up role, or moves LV, who is good against lefties, into Marte's role, and JC or El Duque into long relief.  Done and Done.

the latest one said contreras might be involved, also lefties hit .333+ against viz while righties hit .245.

Edited by thelatinoheat_30

QUOTE(RockRaines @ Jul 25, 2005 -> 01:40 PM)
Great Post.  For you "get RP" people in this thread, who is your magic RP?  Its not Wagner, and its not Guardado, because they arent available.  So who next???

from the sun-times:

As for Guardado, the Mariners say he isn't available, but it's widely expected that Seattle will listen to offers that include prized prospects such as McCarthy. Williams worked magic with the M's last summer, getting Garcia -- for youngsters Miguel Olivo, Jeremy Reed and Mike Morse -- well before the deadline. So expect Williams to keep M's general manager Bill Bavasi on his speed dial.

QUOTE(thelatinoheat_30 @ Jul 25, 2005 -> 02:46 PM)
the latest one said contreras might be involved,  also lefties hit .333+ against viz while righties hit .245.

No it didnt, this morning being the latest report.

Regarding LV:

Secondly, his ERA in June was 2.25, so far in July its .87. I DO consider that good.

Next his three year splits (which help eliminate outliers) vs LH .207 .287 OBP .381 SLG

vs RH .238 .300 .435

He has been more successful vs Lefties.

QUOTE(RockRaines @ Jul 25, 2005 -> 01:53 PM)
No it didnt, this morning being the latest report.

Regarding LV:

Secondly, his ERA in June was 2.25, so far in July its .87.  I DO consider that good.

Next his three year splits (which help eliminate outliers)  vs LH .207 .287 OBP .381 SLG

vs RH .238 .300 .435

He has been more successful vs Lefties.

that was then, this is now.

QUOTE(thelatinoheat_30 @ Jul 25, 2005 -> 02:59 PM)
that was then, this is now.

hahahaha. Exactly, have you seen his numbers in the last two months??? His bad few outings in April have jacked his numbers. His numbers the last two months have been dominating. THIS IS NOW

The White Sox are still waiting on the Marlins to accept or reject their offer of Brandon McCarthy, Damaso Marte and maybe Jose Contreras for A.J. Burnett.

Although previous indications were that the White Sox would insist on a contract extension with Burnett to complete the deal, the Chicago Tribune suggests GM Ken Williams may soften his stance if he receives assurances Burnett would put the Sox at the top of his list during the winter. ''I'm kind of both ways with it,'' Burnett said Sunday about signing an extension before the winter. ''If it's the right team and the right place, then why not? But I'm still pretty keen on seeing what's going on in the offseason. But, like I said, if it's the right place and the right team, absolutely.'' The Tribune believes Burnett might be more likely to agree to an in-season extension with the Red Sox than with the White Sox.

http://rotoworld.com/content/playernews.asp?sport=MLB

from rotoworld @ 11:49 ct today, on possibly having contreras in the deal

also, fyi konerko will be on espnnews, specific time not said, gammons on soon, thomas will undergo more tests

Edited by thelatinoheat_30

QUOTE(thelatinoheat_30 @ Jul 25, 2005 -> 03:05 PM)
http://rotoworld.com/content/playernews.asp?sport=MLB

from rotoworld @ 11:49 ct today, on possibly having contreras in the deal

also, fyi  konerko will be on espnnews, specific time not said, gammons on soon, thomas will undergo more tests

ESPN insider

Will A.J. stay or go?

Jul 25 - With A.J. Burnett producing another dominant start and the Marlins playing better baseball, they are weighing whether or not to trade Burnett by Sunday's deadline, Peter Gammons reports.

"We don't have to trade A.J. If we can make ourselves better in 2005 and for the future, we'll listen," said Marlins GM Larry Beinfest.

The White Sox and the Red Sox appear to be the two top suitors for Burnett. The White Sox would reportedly be willing to part with reliever Damaso Marte and rookie Brandon McCarthy, while the Red Sox are dangling Bronson Arroyo, with the possibility they could also include hot prospect Anibal Sanchez, Gammons reports.