the overbay deal should be in the works

cragi

QUOTE(cragi @ Jul 26, 2005 -> 09:29 PM)
I agree.  I was saying fans of both teams could think that way.

Prior to the deal, (the always cash-conscious) Brewer fans were thinking..'oh great we just signed a big deal to career .250 hitter (Pods) that had one big year and now has sunk back to reality.  Also, we have nobody that can knock in runs..now what?'  The Lee deal seemed way too good to be true...and I know you have similar reasoning for thinking the opposite.

For the Sox the big key's were what Pods has done, but also how they were able to free up payroll to add Duque (whose not been great, but has been superior to any other 5th starter the Sox had in years) and Pyrzinski (who has been huge to this club).

Its one of those deals that really worked out for both teams and I couldn't be happier. As far as Overbay goes, I'd love him on the Southside, but personally speaking, I wouldn't give up major league talent to get him (i'd more than gladly part of a package involving top prospects though).

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(ChWRoCk2 @ Jul 27, 2005 -> 08:52 AM)
i was at the brewers game yesterday and overbay hit a homer and singled, he seems to make contact and hit the ball better konerko but i still dont get where we would put him, and thats the problem when you have a full infield and everett also as a DH possibility.  cragi was right brewers fans loved him there, every time he stepped up to the plate they all held up big O's or made one with their arms and kept saying O constantly.  We could use another lefty power bat the only problem is where to put him and what to do when a guy like frank thomas gets back, i guess my only question is, can he play third or would we plan to put konerko at third like the padres putting nevin to catcher?

i went to a brew crew game recently too, it was cool when they did that O thing. he is a doubles hitter and would fit in better into our style than konerko, solid left-handed bat and he's been on a tear, right on time. the reason they wanna trade him now is that they got one of the best prospects in the country in prince fielder and they wanna get him some playing time and his position happens to be 1B.

This thread is quite odd.

1.) To say the Sox got "fleeced" in the Pods and Viz for Lee deal is absolutely WRONG. At worst, the deal worked out for both teams, IMO, KW fleeced the Brewers. Why? Because Pods is back to being a 300 hitter and VIzcaino has turned it around as of late and can become a solid contributer to the bullpen.

2.) Overbay will be expensive. No doubt about it. But, he will improve this offense immensely. If I am not mistaken, he has 16 HR's this year but his BA is a bit down. Walker can work with him to get his BA up just like he did with Pods and the HR's will obviously come because a.) he does have powere as he is a large man and b.) we play at the Cell. Out him 3rd or 5th in the lineup and we will excel.

QUOTE(ChWRoCk2 @ Jul 27, 2005 -> 09:52 AM)
i was at the brewers game yesterday and overbay hit a homer and singled, he seems to make contact and hit the ball better konerko but i still dont get where we would put him, and thats the problem when you have a full infield and everett also as a DH possibility.  cragi was right brewers fans loved him there, every time he stepped up to the plate they all held up big O's or made one with their arms and kept saying O constantly.  We could use another lefty power bat the only problem is where to put him and what to do when a guy like frank thomas gets back, i guess my only question is, can he play third or would we plan to put konerko at third like the padres putting nevin to catcher?

Wow. I don't really know what to say. Are you a Cub fan?

Konerko at 3rd? Talk about no f***ing range for your thirdbaseman. He hasn't played there since he was with the Dodgers. There's no way in hell he ever goes back.

Overbay can't play 3B. If he could the Brewers would put him there. You don't just move players around like that, a player cant learn/relearn a position in the pinch.

There's a good chance Frank's not coming back this year. Everett has been good for us, he would go back to his role of subbing at DH/LF/RF. Overbay would play 1B/DH and Konerko would play 1B/DH which ever they felt more comfortable with.

Frank: DL

Konerko: 1B/DH

Overbay: 1B/DH

Everett: sub DH/LF/RF

QUOTE(Kalapse @ Jul 27, 2005 -> 11:53 AM)
Wow. I don't really know what to say. Are you a Cub fan?

Konerko at 3rd? Talk about no f***ing range for your thirdbaseman. He hasn't played there since he was with the Dodgers. There's no way in hell he ever goes back.

Overbay can't play 3B. If he could the Brewers would put him there. You don't just move  players around like that, a player cant learn/relearn a position in the pinch.

There's a good chance Frank's not coming back this year. Everett has been good for us, he would go back to his role of subbing at DH/LF/RF. Overbay would play 1B/DH and Konerko would play 1B/DH which ever they felt more comfortable with.

Frank: DL

Konerko: 1B/DH

Overbay: 1B/DH

Everett: sub DH/LF/RF

hey just weighing the options, i think id rather have huff over overbay for some odd reason though

QUOTE(SoxFan1 @ Jul 27, 2005 -> 10:35 AM)
This thread is quite odd.

1.) To say the Sox got "fleeced" in the Pods and Viz for Lee deal is absolutely WRONG. At worst, the deal worked out for both teams, IMO, KW fleeced the Brewers. Why? Because Pods is back to being a 300 hitter and VIzcaino has turned it around as of late and can become a solid contributer to the bullpen.

2.) Overbay will be expensive. No doubt about it. But, he will improve this offense immensely. If I am not mistaken, he has 16 HR's this year but his BA is a bit down. Walker can work with him to get his BA up just like he did with Pods and the HR's will obviously come because a.) he does have powere as he is a large man and b.) we play at the Cell. Out him 3rd or 5th in the lineup and we will excel.

I didn't say they got fleeced, I said from a brewer fan's perspective, they got fleeced. The Brewers were desperate to dump Pods in the offseason and were also desperate to acquire power. For that to happen, and to get an allstar out of the deal, was better than anything brewer fans could have hoped for.

Obviously the trade worked out perfectly for both teams.

QUOTE(cragi @ Jul 27, 2005 -> 01:26 PM)
I didn't say they got fleeced, I said from a brewer fan's perspective, they got fleeced.  The Brewers were desperate to dump Pods in the offseason and were also desperate to acquire power.  For that to happen, and to get an allstar out of the deal, was better than anything brewer fans could have hoped for.

Didn't someone already tell you to ignore him. I'd take that advice.

QUOTE(cragi @ Jul 27, 2005 -> 01:26 PM)
I didn't say they got fleeced, I said from a brewer fan's perspective, they got fleeced.  The Brewers were desperate to dump Pods in the offseason and were also desperate to acquire power.  For that to happen, and to get an allstar out of the deal, was better than anything brewer fans could have hoped for.

You can tell the brewers fan thanks for OUR all-star and possible MVP. Oh yeah, and 31 games over....

QUOTE(RockRaines @ Jul 27, 2005 -> 01:33 PM)
You can tell the brewers fan thanks for OUR all-star and possible MVP.  Oh yeah, and 31 games over....

I'm confused why this guy is being met with such hostility, he hasn't insulted the White Sox at all and people talking s***, kind of odd.

Why do people have to try and be dicks?

The Brewers won the Lee trade.

Sorry but Duque, AJ, Iguchi, were not part of the trade. The Brewers did not give them to us, and while Lee's contract being gone did allow us to sign them, it did not mean that we could not have tried for a better prospect than Hinton.

::shrugs::

The only way you can even argue the White Sox are even is adding in our additional signings, and the amount we saved.

As for Overbay, I wish we could of worked him into the Lee deal to begin with. And thanks for the insightful posts coming from other teams, I actually like hearing what other teams have to say more than what other Sox fans have to say.

SB

QUOTE(Kalapse @ Jul 27, 2005 -> 01:35 PM)
I'm confused why this guy is being met with such hostility, he hasn't insulted the White Sox at all and people talking s***, kind of odd.

First of all you sensitive people that was not hostility. It was sarcasm, I like the f***ing brewers. Im not sure why everyone is so damn sensitive all of a sudden.

QUOTE(Soxbadger @ Jul 27, 2005 -> 12:38 PM)
Why do people have to try and be dicks?

The Brewers won the Lee trade.

Sorry but Duque, AJ, Iguchi, were not part of the trade. The Brewers did not give them to us, and while Lee's contract being gone did allow us to sign them, it did not mean that we could not have tried for a better prospect than Hinton.

::shrugs::

The only way you can even argue the White Sox are even is adding in our additional signings, and the amount we saved.

As for Overbay, I wish we could of worked him into the Lee deal to begin with. And thanks for the insightful posts coming from other teams, I actually like hearing what other teams have to say more than what other Sox fans have to say.

SB

There's no way the Brewers won the Lee trade. That trade is about as equal as you'll see a trade. Saving money was part of the trade and even if you just look at it as Pods and Viz for Clee we still came out great as did they.

QUOTE(southsideirish71 @ Jul 27, 2005 -> 05:34 AM)
Hello Mr. Overbay my name is Greg Walker, I need to talk to you about your high BA and low power.  I have worked with lots of hitters on the whitesox and have a fool proof method of giving you more power for just a slight drop in BA. 

2006 Overbay hits 30 homers and has a 212 BA

LOL

That is hysterical. No please explain Podsedniks numbers.

Okay I will explain this slowly.

The Brewers won the trade because they got a player who is more talented than all of the players we got in return.

Yes we saved money, but the amount of money we saved was not proportionate to the amount of talent that we gave up. The trade for the White Sox to have won, would to have included a much better prospect. Carlos Lee is going to be an All-Star quite frequently for the rest of his career depending on where he ends up.

Pods may never make another All-Star game, Vizcaino has been an average reliever, Hinton will be nothing.

Did the White Sox benefit?

Yes of course, but what does that have to do with the price of apples?

We sold something with high value for things with lower value. The point of the Brewer's fans post was that they wanted to get rid of Pods, they were sellers, and we way over paid for him.

I agree, I think Lee was more valuable than what we got for him. I think if you go back to the time of the trade you will see most people thought that it was going to be Pods, Viz, + some thing worth while.

::Shrugs::

SB

I'd take Pods over Carlos any day of the week right now. It's much, much harder to find a good leadoff hitter then a good middle of the order hitter. Carlos has hit more homers has all the obvious better power numbers but Scotty has a better ba, obp and more stolen bases. Great trade for both teams, I don't care what people thought at the time.

QUOTE(Rowand44 @ Jul 27, 2005 -> 01:01 PM)
I'd take Pods over Carlos any day of the week right now.  It's much, much harder to find a good leadoff hitter then a good middle of the order hitter.  Carlos has hit more homers has all the obvious better power numbers but Scotty has a better ba, obp and more stolen bases.  Great trade for both teams, I don't care what people thought at the time.

i think what SB is trying to say is that we could have gotten pods for say....brian anderson as opposed to clee. and therefore we overpaid. i dont disagree with SB, i just think the money it saved us is what in my mind makes it equal. if we look at the trade only as pods + viz for lee i think we paid too much, not because pods isnt more valuable to the team than lee, but because his market value was so low, that we could gotten him for cheaper than lee. the money however is a different story and that allowed us to get AJ and tadahito which aj + pods + tad + viz is better than lee

QUOTE(AWhiteSoxinNJ @ Jul 27, 2005 -> 01:06 PM)
I think we should close this thread, Overbay isn't getting trade, forget about it, lol.

:gosox1:

good point, there are a few otehrs that need to be closed also. can any mods help

Da,

Exactly its that we over paid.

I think we should have still used Lee as the piece, or moved Lee for different pieces to pick up Pods.

But Lee puts up pretty solid power numbers, and when you look at what teams got for the Sexson's of the world, and compare that to our Lee trade you kind of scratch your head.

SB

QUOTE(southsideirish @ Jul 27, 2005 -> 12:52 PM)
That is hysterical. No please explain Podsedniks numbers.

I'm gonna have to agree with the "-71" version here. Almost every single Sox player is hitting under his career average. Podsednik had hit well over .300 his rookie season. Last year, as he himself admits, he was trying to do too much and got caught up hitting home runs (12 I believe). As you can see, this year he has 0 homers in a homer friendly ballpark. He's realized his role, it's not to hit homers and drive in people but to get on base and go-go-go. I would accredit his reinvented way of approaching his hitting (decidedly his own revelation) rather than Greg worn-out-my-time-here Walker.

QUOTE(Kalapse @ Jul 27, 2005 -> 06:35 PM)

QUOTE(Tony82087 @ Jul 27, 2005 -> 06:38 PM)
I agree. Both Brewer fans here have been very nice, and have seemed to know what there talking about when it comes to baseball. No need to be rude or hostile, lets just and HELP the repuation of Soxtalk, not hurt it.

^^^^^^^^^^^^ That, or those, or whatever.

Even in the first post, he said that it worked out well for both teams. This neverending argument should end, it's over, and noone's changing his mind now.

QUOTE(AWhiteSoxinNJ @ Jul 27, 2005 -> 01:06 PM)
I think we should close this thread, Overbay isn't getting trade, forget about it, lol.

:gosox1:

Why won't Overbay get traded? Didn't you read the first post of this thread. It makes sense. Milwaulkee is out of the race, Fielder is ready for the Bigs, the Sox helped out the Brewers and the Brewers will be willing to help out the Sox. I'm not saying it's going to happen, but it's very possible.

QUOTE(WSFAN35 @ Jul 27, 2005 -> 01:38 PM)
Why won't Overbay get traded?  Didn't you read the first post of this thread.  It makes sense.  Milwaulkee is out of the race, Fielder is ready for the Bigs, the Sox helped out the Brewers and the Brewers will be willing to help out the Sox.  I'm not saying it's going to happen, but it's very possible.

Technically they aren't out of the race. Only 5 back in the wild card, I think.