Trade Cliff Politte?????????

VAfan

This morning on Mike & Mike, Jayson Stark said Cliff Politte, not Damaso Marte, was now part of the package for AJ Burnett.

I hope that is not true. It certainly makes me concerned.

Cliff Politte has pitched as well this year as Mariano Rivera. Look it up.

How many 1-run victories for us this year would have been turned into defeats if we didn't have Cliff Politte. He has been one of the best relievers in baseball this year. Without him, the Sox bullpen, which is a tremendous strength of the team, would turn to mush.

I wouldn't trade Cliff Politte heads up for AJ Burnett.

PLEASE, KW, STEP AWAY FROM THE PHONE. DON'T BE SO STUPID AS TO TRADE CLIFF POLITTE.

(P.S. I expect this rumor is part of some other threads on Jayson Stark, but I felt it deserved its own headline.)

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(whitesoxfan13 @ Jul 27, 2005 -> 07:40 AM)
Kenny W is freakin stupid if even thinks about trading Cliff. He's been phenomenal for us this year.

it would probably mean KW would be getting baez. IMO politte is pitching over his head but he has been just too lights out to deal him. especially with hermie hurtin. if this trade happens KW must really really be confident in jenks

Its funny how loud people scream for trades, until they realize that the other teams want decent players from us in exchange for their good players. That Willie Harris, Joe Borchard, Felix Diaz, Greg Norton package must not have been nearly as attractive in real life as it was on the PS2.

Guys if we are going to do a deadline deal this year, it is going to cost us. 23 team are within 5 games of a playoff spot. There are so few teams who want to subtract players, that the prices are insane for good players.

Is Politte signed beyond this season? Maybe the thinking is Jenks could take Politte's role. Politte has been awesome this season, I thought he should have been an All Star, however, I would not be surprised if he starts getting touched up soon. Also, maybe this is also tied into possibly acquiring Baez. Who knows other than KW. There are going to be a ton of rumors, some with some truth some with none, until trades are made or the deadline passes.

QUOTE(Dick Allen @ Jul 27, 2005 -> 08:46 AM)
Is Politte signed beyond this season? Maybe the thinking is Jenks could take Politte's role. Politte has been awesome this season, I thought he should have been an All Star, however, I would not be surprised if he starts getting touched up soon. Also, maybe this is also tied into possibly acquiring Baez. Who knows other than KW. There are going to be a ton of rumors, some with some truth some with none, until trades are made or the deadline passes.

Politte has a team option, fairly resonable IIRC.

QUOTE(southsider2k5 @ Jul 27, 2005 -> 07:44 AM)
Its funny how loud people scream for trades, until they realize that the other teams want decent players from us in exchange for their good players.   That Willie Harris, Joe Borchard, Felix Diaz, Greg Norton package must not have been nearly as attractive in real life as it was on the PS2.

Guys if we are going to do a deadline deal this year, it is going to cost us.  23 team are within 5 games of a playoff spot.  There are so few teams who want to subtract players, that the prices are insane for good players.

agreed. i find it humorous when people one day will be like, willie sucks he needs to go. then the next day have him as the centerpiece of a deal to get someone like arod. then they try to defend it like "willie could be the next luis castillo!" please, if i hear one more, lets trade willie + borchard + unnamed prospect im gonna......i dont know but im gonna do something....s*** i got nothin

Edited by daa84

QUOTE(Dick Allen @ Jul 27, 2005 -> 11:46 PM)

He has a team option for next season at about $1.3 million. For such a good reliever at this price, I can't justify including him in a Burnett deal (especially if A.J's a rental).

QUOTE(Dick Allen @ Jul 27, 2005 -> 07:46 AM)

I am as big of a jenks fan as anyone. But getting rid of Politte is silly. He has been a big cog in the bullpen this year. He has been getting righties and lefties out. He has been a bulldog in the pen. Jenks has some great stuff, but still needs time to learn how to pitch at this level.

Marte, you can go now. I will drive him to the airport.

Politte >>>> Baez

QUOTE(southsideirish71 @ Jul 27, 2005 -> 09:27 AM)
I am as big of a jenks fan as anyone.  But getting rid of Politte is silly.  He has been a big cog in the bullpen this year.  He has been getting righties and lefties out.  He has been a bulldog in the pen.  Jenks has some great stuff, but still needs time to learn how to pitch at this level. 

Marte, you can go now.  I will drive him to the airport. 

Politte >>>>  Baez

Who saids that the Marlins want Marte?

To ALL OF YOU who called Kenny stupid if he should trade away Politte in a package to acquire Burnett, you guys know NOTHING. If indeed Kenny trades Politte, I will be okayed with it. You know WHY? I trust Kenny much more than I trust a bunch of guys who idiotically think they have better knowledge than our GM. Please!

You guys probably were the same ones who jumped on Kenny's throat when he made the Carlos Lee for Pods and Vizcaino trade!

Have faith and trust our GM. It's so easy for us guys to sit behind our computers and telling Kenny, "I want that player; I want this player" when in all honesty, we know NOTHING about what's going on behind the curtain.

QUOTE(S720 @ Jul 27, 2005 -> 08:32 AM)
To ALL OF YOU who called Kenny stupid if he should trade away Politte in a package to acquire Burnett, you guys know NOTHING.  If indeed Kenny trades Politte, I will be okayed with it.  You know WHY?  I trust Kenny much more than I trust a bunch of guys who idiotically think they have better knowledge than our GM.  Please!

You guys probably were the same ones who jumped on Kenny's throat when he made the Carlos Lee for Pods and Vizcaino trade!

Have faith and trust our GM.  It's so easy for us guys to sit behind our computers and telling Kenny, "I want that player; I want this player" when in all honesty, we know NOTHING about what's going on behind the curtain.

Actually I wasnt happy with Lee last year when he changed his swing mid season from a short quick doubles swing during his streak to a long looping power swing. I knew he was gone after KW made the comment after the Twins series last year about if he sees any player swinging for the fences when we need a single to score a run he will puke.

All of this is pure speculation on what pieces it will take to move this player or that.

QUOTE(southsideirish71 @ Jul 27, 2005 -> 09:29 AM)
He was linked to the trade before.  I thought the Marlins were enamored with his "stuff"

Then why would they be asking for Politte now? That doesn't make any sense. If the Marlins were good with the Marte part of the deal, why would that change? Just by logic, that saids to me that they wanted more out of the deal, and that is why they went to Politte.

QUOTE(southsider2k5 @ Jul 27, 2005 -> 08:43 AM)
Then why would they be asking for Politte now?  That doesn't make any sense.  If the Marlins were good with the Marte part of the deal, why would that change?  Just by logic, that saids to me that they wanted more out of the deal, and that is why they went to Politte.

Well they are playing their hand. Ask for the moon right now. Remember when the Giants asked for Garland for Schmidt plus top prospects. Its a sellers market this year.

Plus this is all speculation based on the "Mike and Mike" show and Jason Stark.

QUOTE(southsider2k5 @ Jul 27, 2005 -> 01:44 PM)
Its funny how loud people scream for trades, until they realize that the other teams want decent players from us in exchange for their good players. That Willie Harris, Joe Borchard, Felix Diaz, Greg Norton package must not have been nearly as attractive in real life as it was on the PS2.

Guys if we are going to do a deadline deal this year, it is going to cost us.  23 team are within 5 games of a playoff spot.  There are so few teams who want to subtract players, that the prices are insane for good players.

PS2 newbie, you can't trade 4 guys at once in a trade on MVP!!! :lolhitting

This will be interesting. Personally I wouldn't deal Politte. However, you could make a case of the Sox dealing him while his value is at peak. Plus Its usually a lot easier/cheaper to pick up a good righty reliever than a lefty via the trade market.

Kenny isn't going to deal any of his relievers without bringing in a good replacement, imo.

I also highly doubt he'd deal Politte, unless he's getting Mota plus Burnett. Basically put if the Sox put Politte in the deal as opposed to Marte, the Fish give a little extra.

The question is would the team be better with Politte and Walker (if that be the case) or would it be better with Mota and Marte in the pen. Either way it would be AJ in the rotation and of course one of the starters (if they aren't dealt) could slide into the pen as well.

QUOTE(Chisoxfn @ Jul 27, 2005 -> 09:57 AM)
This will be interesting.  Personally I wouldn't deal Politte.  However, you could make a case of the Sox dealing him while his value is at peak.  Plus Its usually a lot easier/cheaper to pick up a good righty reliever than a lefty via the trade market.

Kenny isn't going to deal any of his relievers without bringing in a good replacement, imo. 

I also highly doubt he'd deal Politte.

The 'peak value' theory shouldn't be conidered this year. You dance with the one(s) that brung ya.

QUOTE(YASNY @ Jul 27, 2005 -> 06:58 AM)
The 'peak value' theory shouldn't be conidered this year.  You dance with the one(s) that brung ya.

I agree. It mainly works in the off-season or when your a seller, not when a team is in contention. I go with right the hot hand through the playoffs and Politte has been hot all year.

Don't forget how important the bullpen has been in getting us to where we are today. Taking a Politte away from it, would signifcantly hurt it, unless a closer like Wagner was brought in.

It's not always easy to find a reliever to step in and fill a role for you though. Have a look at Steve Kline. Had a great season in St. Louis last year, and he's just had a terrible year in Baltimore.

QUOTE(VAfan @ Jul 27, 2005 -> 07:38 AM)
This morning on Mike & Mike, Jayson Stark said Cliff Politte, not Damaso Marte, was now part of the package for AJ Burnett.

I hope that is not true.  It certainly makes me concerned.

Cliff Politte has pitched as well this year as Mariano Rivera.  Look it up. 

How many 1-run victories for us this year would have been turned into defeats if we didn't have Cliff Politte.  He has been one of the best relievers in baseball this year.  Without him, the Sox bullpen, which is a tremendous strength of the team, would turn to mush. 

I wouldn't trade Cliff Politte heads up for AJ Burnett. 

PLEASE, KW, STEP AWAY FROM THE PHONE.  DON'T BE SO STUPID AS TO TRADE CLIFF POLITTE. 

(P.S. I expect this rumor is part of some other threads on Jayson Stark, but I felt it deserved its own headline.)

i completely agree

QUOTE(DBAH0 @ Jul 27, 2005 -> 08:48 AM)
He has a team option for next season at about $1.3 million. For such a good reliever at this price, I can't justify including him in a Burnett deal (especially if A.J's a rental).

Polite is probabky our best arm out of the bullpen. I dont think its worth trading your best bullpen pitcher.