Ross Gload = Lyle Overbay

VAfan

If Ross Gload's 2004 numbers were projected over a season, he would be every bit as good as Lyle Overbay.

Gload 2004:

2004 CWS 110 234 28 75 16 0 7 44 20 37 0 3 .321 -- .479 .854

Overbay 2004:

2004 Mil 159 579 83 174 53 1 16 87 81 128 2 1 .301 -- .478 .863

So all of you who want to surrender half our farm system for Mr. Overbay, please reconsider. Sure, Overbay has to be rated higher because he's played more, but the difference is not enough in my mind to want to give up anything right now for Overbay.

QUOTE(VAfan @ Jul 27, 2005 -> 07:43 AM)
If Ross Gload's 2004 numbers were projected over a season, he would be every bit as good as Lyle Overbay.

Gload 2004:

2004 CWS 110 234 28 75 16 0 7 44 20 37 0 3 .321 -- .479 .854

Overbay 2004:

2004 Mil 159 579 83 174 53 1 16 87 81 128 2 1 .301 -- .478 .863

So all of you who want to surrender half our farm system for Mr. Overbay, please reconsider.  Sure, Overbay has to be rated higher because he's played more, but the difference is not enough in my mind to want to give up anything right now for Overbay.

im not even gonna read teh post, but just based on teh title i think you outa reconsider that statement

I think Gload's average would dip, but he does have the trimmings of being a very good first baseman. That said, I'd be fairly uncomfortable going into 2006 with Gload as our everyday starter at 1B, especially with the back issues he's had this year.

A better comparison for Gload to Overbay is Overbay in 2003 with Arizona:

G AB HR RBI BB SO AVG OBP SLG OPS

86 254 4 28 35 67 .276 .365 .402 .767

Compare that to Gload's 2004:

G AB HR RBI BB SO AVG OBP SLG OPS

110 234 28 44 20 37 .321 .375 .479 .854

In similar at-bats, Gload did put up better numbers. While the premise seems unlikely at first, what was Overbay before 2004? Basically Ross Gload.

Now my concerns are Gload's health and ability to play a full season. Also, why did Gload not play in MLB in 2001 or 2003 (my guess is he was in the minors then)?

QUOTE(Wedge @ Jul 27, 2005 -> 07:56 AM)
A better comparison for Gload to Overbay is Overbay in 2003 with Arizona:

G    AB    HR    RBI BB  SO  AVG  OBP  SLG  OPS

86  254  4 28  35 67  .276    .365    .402  .767

Compare that to Gload's 2004:

G    AB    HR    RBI BB  SO  AVG  OBP  SLG  OPS

110    234 28    44    20 37  .321    .375    .479    .854

In similar at-bats, Gload did put up better numbers.  While the premise seems unlikely at first, what was Overbay before 2004?  Basically Ross Gload.

Now my concerns are Gload's health and ability to play a full season.  Also, why did Gload not play in MLB in 2001 or 2003 (my guess is he was in the minors then)?

no, gload has never been a prospect. overbay was always a touted hitter with a keen eye. 53 doubles people. when players get older and hit their prime (which is what overbay is doing now) doubles turn to home runs. brian roberts for example. im sorry, but gloads finaly month and a half of 2004 greatly inflated his BA. if gload = overbay, then package we could get in return for gload should = package brewcrew could get for overbay right? tell me how many GMs would offer a similar package for overbay as tehy woudl for gload. ill bet my life its zero.

QUOTE(Big Hurt Way Back @ Jul 28, 2005 -> 12:11 AM)
I'm just wondering what the hell is so great about lyle pverbay. I mean come on you guys talk about him tlike hes the best firstbaseman in the league.  he's no supersatr and honestly i could name 10 to 15 better than him.  Can anyone explain their madness!!!

Ok name em (and don't forget bang for your buck here).

QUOTE(DBAH0 @ Jul 27, 2005 -> 08:12 AM)
Ok name em (and don't forget bang for your buck here).

lol i was just gonna say the same thing.

in the AL alone i can think of 1. teixeira. hafner and ortiz would count but tehy are DH. IMO overbay > PK and sexson

QUOTE(daa84 @ Jul 27, 2005 -> 08:19 AM)
lol i was just gonna say the same thing.

in the AL alone i can think of 1. teixeira.      hafner and ortiz would count but tehy are DH. IMO overbay > PK and sexson

Overbay is a consistant bat. His power numbers are not sexy. But the guy hit a ton of doubles last year and still without a ton of homers still has a near 900 OPS. He is a left handed bat, handles his position well, and provides a good price point. I get a kick out of how people immediately look at his power numbers and cringe then b**** about Paulies low BA and BA with RISP. There are very very very few people that have a high average and the power numbers to match. If Konerko was a bit more consistant with the bat he would have at least 85 rbis at this point. Overbay would be a very welcome addition.

QUOTE(YASNY @ Jul 27, 2005 -> 09:29 AM)
Forget the $$$. We are trying to win a World Series here.

I'm not talking about the World Series. Just a simple comparison of three firstbasemen based on performance and yearly salary.

QUOTE(greasywheels121 @ Jul 27, 2005 -> 09:31 AM)
Nah, 3E8 is saying that Overbay > PK, but when you factor in the money, it looks even better.

I don't know that I'd say Overbay is better than Konerko, but I think he'd fit our team better.

VA's argument was that if Ross Gload played everyday like Overbay, that his statistics would be similar to Overbay's over a whole season. His premise was that if you project Gload 2004 to playing a whole season that his stats are comparable to Overybay 2004 playing the whole season. I added another premise by stating that in two seasons where Gload and Overbay had similar at-bats, that Gload's production compared favorably to Overbay. A comparison of Gload to Overbay isn't completely unreasonable, although I scratched my head at first until I looked at the numbers a bit more.

Ask yourself this: what was Overbay in 2003 in Arizona? Was he much more than Gload 2004?

no, gload has never been a prospect. overbay was always a touted hitter with a keen eye.

I don't think Mark Buehrle was ever considered a prospect, yet I'm sure we could get a king's ransom for him. Hell, I hadn't heard much about Jenks until a week or two before his call-up and then boom, he looks like the real deal.

if gload = overbay, then package we could get in return for gload should = package brewcrew could get for overbay right? tell me how many GMs would offer a similar package for overbay as tehy woudl for gload. ill bet my life its zero.

No GM would give up equal value for Gload as for Overbay because Gload has not done what Overbay has over a full season and a half. If Gload had produced in 2004 what Overbay did, then I'm sure there would be comparable offer.

QUOTE(daa84 @ Jul 27, 2005 -> 08:02 AM)
53 doubles people. when players get older and hit their prime (which is what overbay is doing now) doubles turn to home runs. brian roberts for example. im sorry, but gloads finaly month and a half of 2004 greatly inflated his BA.

If I recall correctly, Gload played more regularly at the end of 2004. Maybe that's indicator of what he would do if he played regularly over a whole season. That's a fair argument.

QUOTE(VAfan @ Jul 27, 2005 -> 12:45 PM)
My point is that we shouldn't be falling all over ourselves drooling over a 1B who doesn't have great power numbers.  Sure Overbay is a solid ballplayer and he's a left handed bat.  But he's not GREAT.

Since when does this team need a power hitter? WE DONT! PK....look at him. All he does is hit HR's OCCASIONALLY. Overbay is a doubles hitter with good power mixed in. If you want power, congrats because his HR's will go up playing in the Cell. He is an average hitter and THE perfect #3 or #5 hitter for this lineup.

Ceteris paribusCeteris paribusCeteris paribusCeteris paribusCeteris paribusCeteris paribusCeteris paribusCeteris paribusCeteris paribusCeteris paribusCeteris paribusCeteris paribusCeteris paribusCeteris paribusCeteris paribusCeteris paribusCeteris paribusCeteris paribus

Of course Gload would be better. I think we should sign some guy who's only AB was a homerun. He'd hit like 600 homeruns in one year!!!!

QUOTE(Cerbaho-WG @ Jul 27, 2005 -> 12:48 PM)
Ceteris paribusCeteris paribusCeteris paribusCeteris paribusCeteris paribusCeteris paribusCeteris paribusCeteris paribusCeteris paribusCeteris paribusCeteris paribusCeteris paribusCeteris paribusCeteris paribusCeteris paribusCeteris paribusCeteris paribusCeteris paribus

Of course Gload would be better. I think we should sign some guy who's only AB was a homerun. He'd hit like 600 homeruns in one year!!!!

LMFAO! :lol: :notworthy

QUOTE(SoxFan1 @ Jul 27, 2005 -> 11:48 AM)
Since when does this team need a power hitter? WE DONT! PK....look at him. All he does is hit HR's OCCASIONALLY. Overbay is a doubles hitter with good power mixed in. If you want power, congrats because his HR's will go up playing in the Cell. He is an average hitter and THE perfect #3 or #5 hitter for this lineup.

thank you soxfan.

overbay would be a great fit, high avg, obp, translate into runs... how many tiems does PK come up with men on 2nd and 3rd with two out and hit a pop up? Overbay hits singles and doubles in those situations.

QUOTE(Steve9347 @ Jul 27, 2005 -> 12:53 PM)
thank you soxfan.

overbay would be a great fit, high avg, obp, translate into runs...  how many tiems does PK come up with men on 2nd and 3rd with two out and hit a pop up?  Overbay hits singles and doubles in those situations.

Glad I could be of assistance. Oh, and VaFan....when posting stats, please verify what f***ing stats we are looking at! They are just a bunch of numbers!

235 .325 73 6 276 14 65 346 61 1.94