Bob Nightengale Article

palesox38

Will the trade happen?  

37 members have voted

1. 1. Will the trade happen?

• Absolutely
    • Maybe
    • No

QUOTE(Ishmookie @ Jul 27, 2005 -> 08:18 PM)
is the article old or is it new from tonight?

This may be one gigantic misinterrepretation of that article. it says that the sox said that they would do that deal on monday (which we alreayd knew, if the marlins would pay enough of lowell). what exactly did they say on am1000? was it talking about the article or was it saying it was donE???/

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

G AB R H 2B 3B HR RBI BB K SB CS AVG OBP SLG OPS

April 21 81 11 16 6 0 2 8 4 11 0 0 .198 .233 .346 .578

May 25 84 7 17 9 0 0 11 8 10 0 0 .202 .263 .310 .573

June 24 92 8 23 6 0 1 12 8 13 0 0 .250 .310 .348 .658

July 19 71 9 21 6 0 2 13 5 7 1 0 .296 .346 .465 .811

Lowells splits

QUOTE(fathom @ Jul 27, 2005 -> 08:15 PM)
Has he been playing better?  I haven't been following him.

not really. His BA is up a little but he isnt driving the ball at all and appears to be "feeling" for the ball at the plate and has way too many timid/protection swings in hitters counts. His run production is way down and at this point it has to be mental b/c I believe he can be just as good as he has been the past 3-4 years

This is bad news... Lowell makes an already anemic offense even more inconsistant...

It puts a great second half player out of the lineup in Crede.... and guaruntees playing time to a guy who should be a super sub on the bench in Uribe...

PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE don't take Lowell...

QUOTE(ChiSox_Sonix @ Jul 27, 2005 -> 08:21 PM)
not really. His BA is up a little but he isnt driving the ball at all and appears to be "feeling" for the ball at the plate and has way too many timid/protection swings in hitters counts. His run production is way down and at this point it has to be mental b/c I believe he can be just as good as he has been the past 3-4 years

ok my pulse has fallen back to normal, this is the same crap we knew about 2 days ago.....damnit

QUOTE(Jeckle2000 @ Jul 27, 2005 -> 08:21 PM)
This is bad news... Lowell makes an already anemic offense even more inconsistant...

It puts a great second half player out of the lineup in Crede.... and guaruntees playing time to a guy who should be a super sub on the bench in Uribe...

PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE don't take Lowell...

This really isnt much new news at all....

QUOTE(Goldmember @ Jul 27, 2005 -> 09:16 PM)

Very interesting stuff, a whole lot of info in that article

Trade talk: The White Sox agreed to trade top pitching prospect Brandon McCarthy and left-handed reliever Damaso Marte to the Marlins for starter A.J. Burnett and third baseman Mike Lowell, if the Marlins agreed to pay half of Lowell's remaining $18 million through 2007. The Marlins had not as of late Monday. The White Sox wanted a 72-hour window to sign Burnett, who is seeking at least $40 million over four years. If they acquire Burnett, the White Sox are expected to offer him $27 million over three years. ...

I wonder if Brandon's 3 hit 8 inning shutout had anything to do with this trade getting done. I also wonder if we are getting Mike Lowell to replace Joe Crede as a nontender if Lowell can look like he can still hit.

The Yankees were trying to acquire White Sox starter Orlando "El Duque" Hernandez but were resisting Chicago's demand for setup man Tom Gordon

How facinating is that deal. My last years stud, for your two years ago stud. Both would be HUGE for the teams they went to. A definate win-win if it happens. The problem is the Yanks pen is so bad, they will never do it.

Also: The White Sox are worried about DH Frank Thomas' deteriorating ankle and are expected to pay him a $3.5 million buyout instead of picking up his $10 million option in 2006

Duh? We all knew this was going to happen. Talk to me after October when we see if the Sox want to offer him a contact.

B-Mac's great outing today for Charlotte probably helped seal the deal. They're going to have a stud rotation in a few years with Willis, Beckett, Olson, McCarthy and Vargas, if this does go down.

Here are Lowell's splits;

HOME - .241/.318/.371

AWAY - .228/.251/.354

LEFTY - .343/.395/.557

RIGHTY - .205/.255/.310

JULY - .296/.346/.465

That he sucks against righties and has hit better home at Pro Player (a real pitcher's park) than away, is not good. Not good at all.

QUOTE(fathom @ Jul 27, 2005 -> 09:20 PM)
Are you kidding?  I would do that trade in a heartbeat!  Hell, I'd even throw in a mid-level prospect for Gordon.

Gordon was overworked last year, and just isn't the same. I loved him with the Sox back in 2003, but I don't think he's worth giving up a guy who we are depending on onfe the postseason starts.

Edited by santo=dorf

QUOTE(santo=dorf @ Jul 27, 2005 -> 08:24 PM)
Gordon was overworked last year, and just isn't the same.  I loved him with the Sox back in 2003, but I don't think he's worth giving up a guy who we are depending on onfe the postseason starts.

IF we do get Burnett though and go with a 4 man rotation come play off time, El Duque really isnt needed besides as a BP guy...

QUOTE(santo=dorf @ Jul 28, 2005 -> 02:24 AM)
Gordon was overworked last year, and just isn't the same.  I loved him with the Sox back in 2003, but I don't think he's worth giving up a guy who we are depending on onfe the postseason starts.

Who says we have to depend on Duque to start in the postseason? IF we make it, I'd have no problem with him not starting. Ozzie better not start him above the big 3. Gordon could help you out a lot more than Duque could in the postseason. Gordon and his 2.72 ERA sure sucks.

QUOTE(Tadahito15 @ Jul 27, 2005 -> 08:26 PM)
IF we do get Burnett though and go with a 4 man rotation come play off time, El Duque really isnt needed besides as a BP guy...

im so glad we get to hear jets/bills talk on am1000 instead of the AJ burnett rumor

QUOTE(santo=dorf @ Jul 27, 2005 -> 08:24 PM)

He had a tough start, but he's been great the last 3 months. ERA about 2.00. Averaging a strikeout an inning. He can also close.

QUOTE(Kalapse @ Jul 27, 2005 -> 08:17 PM)
His BA's for every month have risen considerably. I think .198, .220, .260 and now like .290. total guesses though.

Yeah, it's somewhere around that. He's been hitting progressively better... the power (hopefully) should be the next thing to come back.

QUOTE(nitetrain8601 @ Jul 27, 2005 -> 08:30 PM)
Me too. WIth that said. I'm pretty sure it isn't going down.

yeah i believe this is the same info levine was givin earlier, that the sox were very close to a 72 hour window, and that the money with lowell was what was holding it up. btw if there is a 72 hour window this time, the deal has to be agreed by tomorrow