A deal w/ the D-Rays makes sense

beck72

QUOTE(southsideirish71 @ Jul 30, 2005 -> 12:32 AM)
Its not his 270lb sexyness that we have fallen in love with, its when the radar gun lights up at 100 and the curve hits for a strike.  Its also years and years of having guys come up from the minors that barely break 90.  We crave HEAT, FILTHY HEAT. LOL

But I really dont think that it would take a Bobby Jenks to get any of those deals done.  Baj, and a few of our many OF prospects.  Tracey has upper 90's velocity.  Plus we could add the X-FACTOR to any deal to put it over the top, DINGO!!!!!

Philly is not going to accept a Brian Anderson / Ryan Sweeney plus Jeff Bajenaru for Billy Wagner deal. They already have Pat Burrell and Bobby Abreu in the outfield, Ryan Howard could move there next season if he's still stuck behind Jim Thome (which is what all indications point to). They want to win now (well Ed Wade does because his job is on the line). At least throw a Contreras or Hernandez into the deal to get the ball rolling.

• Replies 169
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(AddisonStSox @ Jul 29, 2005 -> 08:34 AM)
:enter MVP logic

Would you rather have Jeff Badge-in-arrow or Bobby Jenks?

What's that?  You'd rather have Jenks? 

Now, what makes you think any professional general manager would be any different?

i agree addy, soooo many ppl around here have some strange love affair with baj. i mean yeah hes gettin it done and the #s are great. but minor league closers typically arent big league closers. imo thats the reason the sox let go of ring, valentine, and almonte. besides baj is 28 years old. i mean the guy probably could be a decent major league player. but his trade value isnt very high, which people cant seem to understand

QUOTE(DBAH0 @ Jul 29, 2005 -> 09:36 AM)
Philly is not going to accept a Brian Anderson / Ryan Sweeney plus Jeff Bajenaru for Billy Wagner deal. They already have Pat Burrell and Bobby Abreu in the outfield, Ryan Howard could move there next season if he's still stuck behind Jim Thome (which is what all indications point to). They want to win now (well Ed Wade does because his job is on the line). At least throw a Contreras or Hernandez into the deal to get the ball rolling.

I still don't think he deals Wagner.

QUOTE(RockRaines @ Jul 30, 2005 -> 12:36 AM)
Wow.

I would rather have Jenks than Baez anyway

I think people are just enamored with Jenks's stuff. The fact is he still has control issues, a BAA of .314 (brutal for a reliever) and a 1.71 WHIP. Right now you take Baez over Jenks, but in a few years no way. That's a decision KW has to decide.

QUOTE(Steff @ Jul 30, 2005 -> 12:37 AM)
I still don't think he deals Wagner.

And I don't either. Urbina has really struggled at Citizens giving up the longball, and the only other closer option would be Vicente Padilla, but that's taking away a starter. Wagner is a rare commodity, a great closer who throws heat. The Phillies should just hang onto him and trade for a Gil Meche or somebody like that if they want a starter.

QUOTE(daa84 @ Jul 29, 2005 -> 08:37 AM)
i agree addy, soooo many ppl around here have some strange love affair with baj. i mean yeah hes gettin it done and the #s are great. but minor league closers typically arent big league closers. imo thats the reason the sox let go of ring, valentine, and almonte. besides baj is 28 years old. i mean the guy probably could be a decent major league player. but his trade value isnt very high, which people cant seem to understand

BAJ HAS ZERO TRADE VALUE!!!!!!!!

Soxtalk poster or not. Charlotte closer or not.

I mean, yes, the guy can probably net something via trade at the prospect level, but when people start throwing his name around as the centerpiece of a MLB level trade I simply laugh. It's just not fathomable.

There's a reason the guy still is where he is, and don't tell me because we have a deep depth chart in the BP. Last I looked, we're having some troubles... i.e. Vizcaino

QUOTE(DBAH0 @ Jul 29, 2005 -> 09:38 AM)
I think people are just enamored with Jenks's stuff. The fact is he still has control issues, a BAA of .314 (brutal for a reliever) and a 1.71 WHIP. Right now you take Baez over Jenks, but in a few years no way. That's a decision KW has to decide.

Limited time up, I think we will see that improve as he gets more comfortable. Plus, his power stuff and that nasty hook is what would look great in the postseason. The power pitchers can dominate in October.

QUOTE(RockRaines @ Jul 30, 2005 -> 12:41 AM)
Limited time up, I think we will see that improve as he gets more comfortable.  Plus, his power stuff and that nasty hook is what would look great in the postseason.  The power pitchers can dominate in October.

We'll see, or he could implode come playoff time. His mental state isn't the most stable of all time.

QUOTE(DBAH0 @ Jul 29, 2005 -> 08:38 AM)

He's the sexy youngster right now. He's the flavor of the month.

I guess that makes him untouchable. :huh :huh

QUOTE(RockRaines @ Jul 29, 2005 -> 08:38 AM)
They arent going to just deal Wagner, I dont see it unless they get AJB for him.  And I think FLA is hanging on to him at this point.

why is it that in every rumor post on teh inside beat, it seesm that at one point or another, wagner, burnett, huff, baez will be talked about. even if its a rumor for one of them, the convo will eventually shift to all of them. we shouldnt even have titles for em becuase they all eventually end up the same....i swear this site has been goin downhill as the deadline approaches....that said after the deadline i anticipate it to be back to where it was

QUOTE(AddisonStSox @ Jul 29, 2005 -> 09:40 AM)

Soxtalk poster or not.  Charlotte closer or not.

I mean, yes, the guy can probably net something via trade at the prospect level, but when people start throwing his name around as the centerpiece of a MLB level trade I simply laugh.  It's just not fathomable.

There's a reason the guy still is where he is, and don't tell me because we have a deep depth chart in the BP.  Last I looked, we're having some troubles... i.e. Vizcaino

Hes going to continue to have no trade value unless he finally gets a shot. Its not like he doesnt deserve it. He has the numbers, but its just not going to happen.

QUOTE(DBAH0 @ Jul 29, 2005 -> 09:40 AM)
And I don't either. Urbina has really struggled at Citizens giving up the longball, and the only other closer option would be Vicente Padilla, but that's taking away a starter. Wagner is a rare commodity, a great closer who throws heat. The Phillies should just hang onto him and trade for a Gil Meche or somebody like that if they want a starter.

Exactly. Wagner is all that is keeping Wade his job. I will be extremely shocked if Wagner moves.. even for AJB.

QUOTE(AddisonStSox @ Jul 30, 2005 -> 12:40 AM)

Soxtalk poster or not.  Charlotte closer or not.

I mean, yes, the guy can probably net something via trade at the prospect level, but when people start throwing his name around as the centerpiece of a MLB level trade I simply laugh.  It's just not fathomable.

There's a reason the guy still is where he is, and don't tell me because we have a deep depth chart in the BP.  Last I looked, we're having some troubles... i.e. Vizcaino

If I'm Chuck LaMar I insist on this guy as a throw in to any deal, he makes perfect sense for them going into next season as a cheap reliever. He deserves a shot with somebody anyway.

QUOTE(DBAH0 @ Jul 29, 2005 -> 09:42 AM)
We'll see, or he could implode come playoff time. His mental state isn't the most stable of all time.

What makes you say that, because of his past? Because everyone seems to say he has turned that around. Even so, its take a messed up mentality to close a game. Looks at Hermy, he is as goofy as it gets.

QUOTE(Steff @ Jul 30, 2005 -> 12:42 AM)
Exactly. Wagner is all that is keeping Wade his job. I will be extremely shocked if Wagner moves.. even for AJB.

The Philly fans will go nuts if they dealt Wagner and they're only 2.5 games back from a wildcard spot behind a slumping Washington and surging Astros. They're a team I like to make a move up the standings actually IF Jim Thome can get back and start pounding the ball again, and if Jon Lieber can pitch like he did earlier in the year.

QUOTE(DBAH0 @ Jul 29, 2005 -> 09:43 AM)
If I'm Chuck LaMar I insist on this guy as a throw in to any deal, he makes perfect sense for them going into next season as a cheap reliever. He deserves a shot with somebody anyway.

MO honestly.. LaMar isn't giving a s*** about what is or isn't done. He's collecting a paycheck and life is good. It would not shock me one bit to see Tampa not do anything just out of spite.

QUOTE(RockRaines @ Jul 30, 2005 -> 12:44 AM)
What makes you say that, because of his past?  Because everyone seems to say he has turned that around.  Even so, its take a messed up mentality to close a game.  Looks at Hermy, he is as goofy as it gets.

But Hermy's had experience in that role before at least. Jenks has been great this year and the Sox have done a great job with nurturing him back from his injury. All I'm saying it's a totally different ballgame come October, and the kid's never been in that situation before. We shouldn't be expecting him to come in every inning and retire all 3 guys with K's.

QUOTE(DBAH0 @ Jul 29, 2005 -> 09:45 AM)
The Philly fans will go nuts if they dealt Wagner and they're only 2.5 games back from a wildcard spot behind a slumping Washington and surging Astros. They're a team I like to make a move up the standings actually IF Jim Thome can get back and start pounding the ball again, and if Jon Lieber can pitch like he did earlier in the year.

Agree completely.

QUOTE(RockRaines @ Jul 29, 2005 -> 08:44 AM)
What makes you say that, because of his past?  Because everyone seems to say he has turned that around.  Even so, its take a messed up mentality to close a game.  Looks at Hermy, he is as goofy as it gets.

The best part of Jenks getting a shot is it should mean less Viz during key situations.

Jenks needs to throw strikes and specifically throw that curve for a strike, not just throw it in the dirt. Why people have been hitting him is they work the count to a fastball count and put a short quick swing on it and let the velocity take care of the rest. Once he can throw that curve for a strike is when he becomes deadly.

Its nice that we have such a big lead to let this kid get his feet wet, if we had say a less than 5 game lead he is probably still pitching for the Barons because KW and Ozzie wouldnt of taken a chance on him yet.

QUOTE(Steff @ Jul 30, 2005 -> 12:46 AM)
MO honestly.. LaMar isn't giving a s*** about what is or isn't done. He's collecting a paycheck and life is good. It would not shock me one bit to see Tampa not do anything just out of spite.

Which is really quite sad, because with their young players in Young, Crawford, Baldelli, Upton, Gomes etc. with the right pieces to go along in that mix, they're a team that can suprise some people. But with ownership, payroll and other factors being considered, you're right that probably is never going to evantuate.

QUOTE(southsideirish71 @ Jul 30, 2005 -> 12:47 AM)
The best part of Jenks getting a shot is it should mean less Viz during key situations.   

Jenks needs to throw strikes and specifically throw that curve for a strike, not just throw it in the dirt.  Why people have been hitting him is they work the count to a fastball count and put a short quick swing on it and let the velocity take care of the rest.  Once he can throw that curve for a strike is when he becomes deadly. 

Its nice that we have such a big lead to let this kid get his feet wet, if we had say a less than 5 game lead he is probably still pitching for the Barons because KW and Ozzie wouldnt of taken a chance on him yet.

Viz just makes sense as the long reliever right now. Don't pitch him in back to back games (or many games in a row), and don't put him in pressure situations. He's done a fairly good job in the past month or 2 at least in that role, not in the 8th or 9th inning with the game on the line. (1.32 ERA in July)

QUOTE(Steff @ Jul 29, 2005 -> 08:46 AM)

no, its not that they dont care about winning. they want to make as much money as they can. in order to do that, they want to spend less. but that doesnt mean that they are gonna insist on bad players. they want young good players who will be cheap and effective. youre right that tehy prolly dont care about a ring. but if they can get to .500 with top prospects, then more ppl will come to watch and they will pay the same salaries to the top prospects. so why would they not trade someone like huff who will make 7.5 for a guy like anderson who can in their eyes be effective and cost 7 mil less? oh yeah for spite. makes a whole lot of sense