A deal w/ the D-Rays makes sense

beck72

QUOTE(daa84 @ Jul 30, 2005 -> 12:52 AM)
no, its not that they dont care about winning. they want to make as much money as they can. in order to do that, they want to spend less. but that doesnt mean that they are gonna insist on bad players. they want young good players who will be cheap and effective. youre right that tehy prolly dont care about a ring. but if they can get to .500 with top prospects, then more ppl will come to watch and they will pay the same salaries to the top prospects. so why would they not trade someone like huff who will make 7.5 for a guy like anderson who can in their eyes be effective and cost 7 mil less? oh yeah for spite. makes a whole lot of sense

Because right now Huff probably puts butts in seats, and Anderson's no sure All - Star of the future anyway. That's why Chuck LaMar's asking price is probably real high right now. With Baldelli, Crawford, Young and Gomes in the outfield for the next few years, there's no great need for an Anderson anyway.

• Replies 169
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(daa84 @ Jul 29, 2005 -> 08:42 AM)
why is it that in every rumor post on teh inside beat, it seesm that at one point or another, wagner, burnett, huff, baez will be talked about. even if its a rumor for one of them, the convo will eventually shift to all of them. we shouldnt even have titles for em becuase they all eventually end up the same....i swear this site has been goin downhill as the deadline approaches....that said after the deadline i anticipate it to be back to where it was

At least we're not talking about Eric Chavez.

QUOTE(daa84 @ Jul 29, 2005 -> 09:52 AM)
no, its not that they dont care about winning. they want to make as much money as they can. in order to do that, they want to spend less. but that doesnt mean that they are gonna insist on bad players. they want young good players who will be cheap and effective. youre right that tehy prolly dont care about a ring. but if they can get to .500 with top prospects, then more ppl will come to watch and they will pay the same salaries to the top prospects. so why would they not trade someone like huff who will make 7.5 for a guy like anderson who can in their eyes be effective and cost 7 mil less? oh yeah for spite. makes a whole lot of sense

Yes.. it is that they don't care. Trust me... I know. They don't care about anything but cashing the checks.

QUOTE(DBAH0 @ Jul 29, 2005 -> 09:54 AM)
Because right now Huff probably puts butts in seats, and Anderson's no sure All - Star of the future anyway. That's why Chuck LaMar's asking price is probably real high right now. With Baldelli, Crawford, Young and Gomes in the outfield for the next few years, there's no great need for an Anderson anyway.

The general feeling is that they (the Rays) aren't going to be around in the next few years..

QUOTE(Steff @ Jul 29, 2005 -> 08:56 AM)
Yes.. it is that they don't care. Trust me... I know. They don't care about anything but cashing the checks.

you missed the whole point of my response. how do they maximize those pay checks??? most productivity from players with the least $$ spent on them. what worth is a guy like huff gonna do for them at 7.5 million when hes not even gonna help them win right now? you can make a trade for anderson or bmac who will help you win somewhat less than huff, but will cost a whole lot less. they are trying to maximize their production per dollar. paying huff 7.5 doesnt make sense then. and to the other poster, i doubt huff puts 7 million dollars worth of butts in the seats

QUOTE(daa84 @ Jul 29, 2005 -> 09:59 AM)
you missed the whole point of my response. how do they maximize those pay checks??? most productivity from players with the least $$ spent on them. what worth is a guy like huff gonna do for them at 7.5 million when hes not even gonna help them win right now? you can make a trade for anderson or bmac who will help you win somewhat less than huff, but will cost a whole lot less. they are trying to maximize their production per dollar. paying huff 7.5 doesnt make sense then. and to the other poster, i doubt huff puts 7 million dollars worth of butts in the seats

And you missed mine...

THEY DON'T CARE

Butts in the seats.. LMAO.. that's funny.

QUOTE(beck72 @ Jul 29, 2005 -> 06:02 AM)
In looking at the DRays minor league guys, they only have one guy with more than 4 saves higher than low A--30 yr old Lee Gardner with 11 in AAA. A guy like Jenks would have to be attractive in a deal.

I really think Kenny would have to get swept off his feet to get up a guy like Bobby Jenks. I don't know how else to say it, but of the entire organization I think as of this moment the two guys closest to untouchable are Bobby Jenks (he's gonna be cheap for the Sox and is already looking pretty good...with the ability to turn dominate) and Chris Young. The next on that list would be Brandon McCarthy, however for a pitcher that will be here the next few years, I'd part ways.

Anderson, Sweeney, Gio, Tracey and the rest are the group of guys I think your most likely to see dealt from the system. Plus you have the likes of Willie Harris, Jose Contreras, El Duque, Luis Vizcaino, Juan Uribe (if the Sox get a SS in return), and Damaso Marte all potentially avaiable on the major league side of things.

QUOTE(daa84 @ Jul 30, 2005 -> 12:59 AM)

It depends if they want to trade Huff and re-invest his money into 2 starting pitchers, but Huff is one of the name guys out there, and with the Franchise the way it is right now, they need every good player they can in order to survive.

QUOTE(AddisonStSox @ Jul 29, 2005 -> 06:40 AM)
BAJ HAS ZERO TRADE VALUE!!!!!!!!

Soxtalk poster or not.  Charlotte closer or not.

I mean, yes, the guy can probably net something via trade at the prospect level, but when people start throwing his name around as the centerpiece of a MLB level trade I simply laugh.  It's just not fathomable.

There's a reason the guy still is where he is, and don't tell me because we have a deep depth chart in the BP.  Last I looked, we're having some troubles... i.e. Vizcaino

He could go with a guy like Vizcaino and get the Sox a quality left handed reliever, imo. However, anything more than packaging him and someone else for a quality reliever would be far fetched (and I'm not talking about an amazing reliever...maybe a guy like Scott Eyre, but even that would be in some doubt).

QUOTE(Steff @ Jul 29, 2005 -> 09:01 AM)
And you missed mine...

THEY DON'T CARE

Butts in the seats.. LMAO.. that's funny.

ok what is it that they care abotu??? MONEY. we both agree on that. how do you maximize your money?? spend the least and get the most production out of your players. if you went to lamarr and said hey chuck, you can win 60 games, or you can win 70 games by spending teh same amount of money. what do you think hes gonna do. maximize the productivity with keepiung money the same. anyone who has had any sort of econ class would understand this

edit: an econ class isnt even needed...its not a difficult concept

Edited by daa84

QUOTE(DBAH0 @ Jul 29, 2005 -> 10:03 AM)
It depends if they want to trade Huff and re-invest his money into 2 starting pitchers, but Huff is one of the name guys out there, and with the Franchise the way it is right now, they need every good player they can in order to survive.

Bingo.

QUOTE(Steff @ Jul 30, 2005 -> 01:00 AM)
Both are being discussed.

If it's relocation, Las Vegas probably makes the most sense for them. You could just have a 4 team AL East and a 5 team AL West, instead of a 5 team AL East and a 4 team AL West.

QUOTE(DBAH0 @ Jul 29, 2005 -> 09:05 AM)
If it's relocation, Las Vegas probably makes the most sense for them. You could just have a 4 team AL East and a 5 team AL West, instead of a 5 team AL East and a 4 team AL West.

Yeah, Vegas is a weird thing. I think the NBA having their all-star game there may open some doors, but I know all the major sports are scared s***less of having a team in Vegas.

I think Portland also may be in the running if a team moves

QUOTE(daa84 @ Jul 30, 2005 -> 01:04 AM)
ok what is it that they care abotu??? MONEY. we both agree on that. how do you maximize your money?? spend the least and get the most production out of your players. if you went to lamarr and said hey chuck, you can win 60 games, or you can win 70 games by spending teh same amount of money. what do you think hes gonna do. maximize the productivity with keepiung money the same. anyone who has  had any sort of econ class would understand this

The problem is you trade Huff for say prospects and then you want to re-invest that money into the FA market. If you're a free agent looking for a nice contract, do you really want to go to Tampa Bay and be stuck in a losing situation?

QUOTE(daa84 @ Jul 29, 2005 -> 07:04 AM)
ok what is it that they care abotu??? MONEY. we both agree on that. how do you maximize your money?? spend the least and get the most production out of your players. if you went to lamarr and said hey chuck, you can win 60 games, or you can win 70 games by spending teh same amount of money. what do you think hes gonna do. maximize the productivity with keepiung money the same. anyone who has  had any sort of econ class would understand this

I think you need to understand, the Drays owner makes about as much money as any MLB owner (off of the Drays). He has a minimum payroll, minimum expenses, and gets huge checks in the form of Revenue Sharing from the bigger clubs.

He's totally set right now, whether fans come or not, he could give a crap to be perfectly honest. Sure he'd like more to come, but he's not gonna dump in a bunch of money and turn his team into a losing organization. He's a horrid owner, but he makes money.

QUOTE(daa84 @ Jul 29, 2005 -> 10:04 AM)

Sigh... They don't care about the team.. what the team does.. how many fans come.. etc.. they are making their money regardless. The ownership does not give a ratts ass about the Rays. They are cashing checks without doing a damn thing. Anyone with common sense would have seen that when the manager s*** all over the ownership and they did nothing about it.

They don't care...

QUOTE(SoxFan562004 @ Jul 30, 2005 -> 01:06 AM)
Yeah, Vegas is a weird thing.  I think the NBA having their all-star game there may open some doors, but I know all the major sports are scared s***less of having a team in Vegas.

I think Portland also may be in the running if a team moves

Portland makes sense as well, would set-up a good rivalry b/w the Mariners and the D-Rays actually. Just depends on a lot of issues really, and which market deserves a new franchise. Either way, with the way things are now, that team will not survive in Tampa Bay.

QUOTE(Chisoxfn @ Jul 29, 2005 -> 09:08 AM)
I think you need to understand, the Drays owner makes about as much money as any MLB owner (off of the Drays).  He has a minimum payroll, minimum expenses, and gets huge checks in the form of Revenue Sharing from the bigger clubs. 

He's totally set right now, whether fans come or not, he could give a crap to be perfectly honest.  Sure he'd like more to come, but he's not gonna dump in a bunch of money and turn his team into a losing organization.  He's a horrid owner, but he makes money.

yeah, they're becoming the Clippers of MLB. Donald Sterling makes so much f***ing money off that team, he has no incentive to be good.

QUOTE(Chisoxfn @ Jul 29, 2005 -> 10:08 AM)
I think you need to understand, the Drays owner makes about as much money as any MLB owner (off of the Drays).  He has a minimum payroll, minimum expenses, and gets huge checks in the form of Revenue Sharing from the bigger clubs. 

He's totally set right now, whether fans come or not, he could give a crap to be perfectly honest.  Sure he'd like more to come, but he's not gonna dump in a bunch of money and turn his team into a losing organization.  He's a horrid owner, but he makes money.

Thank you Jason.

Minimal effort = maximum return.

Common sense.

QUOTE(daa84 @ Jul 29, 2005 -> 10:04 AM)

Actually for the situation the DRays are in, they one of the most profitable teams in all of baseball, it is kinda hard to argue with that. Their luxury tax sharing check alone is bigger than their entire payroll. They are raking in money hand over fist right now, strictly from a P&L standpoint. Essentially that is why Pinella is so pissed off, because they have all of this money and aren't spending it.