Whats worse

kev211

Whats worse steriods or betting on baseball?  

41 members have voted

1. 1. Whats worse steriods or betting on baseball?

• Steriods
    • Betting on Baseball

Lasik and the contacts, you and I can go out and get those things ... legally. They don't put your body at risk nor do they encourage kids to put their bodies at risk. There's a big difference in these 'performance enhancers' and the kind Palmeiro got busted for.

QUOTE(Steff @ Aug 2, 2005 -> 06:31 AM)
You still gotta make contact. I agree.. roids are terrible.. and it's cheating. But without the eyes and the instinct one is not hitting a 90+ mph ball.

That is undeniably true. And that's the argument that you always hear pro athletes make. However, what might have been a "can of corn" is now a HR for a guy on steroids or HGH. Here's a couple of interesting facts:

• Through 1994, a player hit 50 or more home runs in a season just 18 times. Since 1994, there have been an amazing fifteen 50-homer seasons, and in the late 1990s an explosion of power-related records infused baseball, though no one seemed to put this together with the changing physical stature of the players. More than any other sport, baseball is numbers-driven. Fans relish numbers, and if they're tainted, there's a sense of consumer fraud

• Bonds, much like McGwire, experienced this incredible surge of power in his twilight years when most ballplayers are fading away. From 1986 through 1999, he hit three homers beyond the 450 ft. mark. In the last five years he has belted 26 over 450 ft. How many that were caught on the warning track prior to the BALCO juice have been sailing over the fence since?

Credit: http://www.whenitwasagame.net/story_pages/editorial.html

QUOTE(DonkeyKongerko @ Aug 2, 2005 -> 10:03 AM)
What about the contacts that guys like AJ wear to enhance their vision of the red laces on the ball? If those continue to gain popularity, I could see them getting banned in the near future. That and cyborg implants.

JUGGS is gonna be pissed when that happens. :P

QUOTE(Steff @ Aug 2, 2005 -> 08:31 AM)
You still gotta make contact. I agree.. roids are terrible.. and it's cheating. But without the eyes and the instinct one is not hitting a 90+ mph ball.

Both are equally bad, IMO, because they are both cheating.

Canseco said that the roids really helped with 'seeing' the ball and his bat speed, not just strength. He referred to a twitch factor....maybe someone else here could elaborate, but I think it had to do with being able to react better to what he was seeing pitched...and then hit it 500 feet!

QUOTE(tonyho7476 @ Aug 3, 2005 -> 10:36 AM)
Canseco said that the roids really helped with 'seeing' the ball and his bat speed, not just strength.  He referred to a twitch factor....maybe someone else here could elaborate, but I think it had to do with being able to react better to what he was seeing pitched...and then hit it 500 feet!

He said that the reaction was faster.. not that he saw the ball better. I think LCR posted about the twitch factor in one of the other threads in this forum on the matter. Good article.

QUOTE(Steff @ Aug 3, 2005 -> 10:38 AM)
He said that the reaction was faster.. not that he saw the ball better. I think LCR posted about the twitch factor in one of the other threads in this forum on the matter. Good article.

No doubt that Bonds/McGwire etc had a ton of skill...but I was shocked how much Jose really attributed steriods to his rising in MLB...so it really sucks to not know how these guys would have been, the 'natural way'...I want to read that twitch factor...if anyone finds it, please post link.

I think there is a definite difference between betting on baseball when you are playing and when you aren't. Rose doing it while he was managing just doesn't seem as bad to me. And of course it's worse if you bet against your team and throw the game. My pecking order:

Betting and throwing the game

Steroids

Betting on your team or after you're done playing

I still think it's funny that there have been numerous other players bettting while playing that didn't get punished anywhere near as badly. Jordan was a notorious high-stakes gambler, who supposedly lost a million bucks to a guy in one round of golf. I've never heard that he bet on basketball, but if you're losing that kind of money, you gotta think throwing games could come into play. Paul Hornung admitted that he bet on football and was suspended for only a few games. Basically he told the league that everybody does it and he'd let that be known if they threw the book at him. And you just can't convince me that Webber honestly blew that play that badly in the finals. There are others too, I just don't feel like doing research right now. The only other guys I remember that got punished severely were the Kentucky players that supposedly shaved points. Connie Hawkins was a hell of a basketball player, but he wasn't allowed into the NBA until late in his career because of it.