Jon Adkins

Hanky Panky

QUOTE(RockRaines @ Aug 10, 2005 -> 02:18 PM)
the suspense already ruined the truth.  It wasnt meant as a big deal. 

Basically I sat behind the bullpen for about 40 games last year.  I always saw adkins coming in the pen before the game with a brown paper bag.  After much deliberation about his weight etc, we decided that it was a lunch and begun asking him if he had a turkey or ham sandwich for that game.  This then morphed into us just calling him sack lunch, and then just sack.  The nickname sort of fits him.  So after about 25 games of this, we finally meet him at Joes one night and get to ask him whats in the sack.  Apparently he brings a Giant sack of Candy to the bullpen every game for the other guys and himself.  Which is why we believe that he is so well received in the clubhouse.  See, not a huge deal.

Thanks. I was thinking that you guys saw him with a lunch bag full of stanozolol or something but didn't want to call out one of our ChiSox. But its good to see that twizzlers, mars bars and m&ms are his "protein."

QUOTE(heirdog @ Aug 12, 2005 -> 10:45 AM)
Thanks.  I was thinking that you guys saw him with a lunch bag full of stanozolol or something but didn't want to call out one of our ChiSox.  But its good to see that twizzlers, mars bars and m&ms are his "protein."

I suspect lots of pieces of double bubble as well.

QUOTE(Milkman delivers @ Aug 12, 2005 -> 08:47 AM)
Has Adkins even pitched since he hit one of the Blue Jays?

No.

He's in the ol' Shingo/Viz/Walker role right now...pitching whenever a game is a laugher. Which means, given the fact that almost every game is close...he never pitches.

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Aug 12, 2005 -> 05:07 PM)
No.

He's in the ol' Shingo/Viz/Walker role right now...pitching whenever a game is a laugher.  Which means, given the fact that almost every game is close...he never pitches.

Sox would have been much better served to have kept Gload and started him when Everett was resting. We could still use Gload more than Adkins. Our pitching is fine, it is more offense we need.

Sox would have been much better served to have kept Gload and started him when Everett was resting.  We could still use Gload more than Adkins.  Our pitching is fine, it is more offense we need.

You are not seeing the big picture, or the whole picture.

Adkins is a marginal pitcher to be sure. He has only gotten in 1-2 games, but he has warmed up a ton. That means other guys aren't warming up and are getting full and complete rest days.

The goal is to keep the pitching fresh going into the stretch, not to give some guy 3-4 at bats per week.

Basically what Jim is saying, and it is the truth, is that the Sox are trying not to be the Yankees in games 4-7 of the ALCS last year where the pitching completely falls apart.

They are also not trying to be the Sox of 2000 where the pitching staff just falls into shambles and everyone gets injured. Would you rather have Jon Adkins or Cliff Politte go down with a strained rotator cuff right now?

QUOTE(JimH @ Aug 12, 2005 -> 06:00 PM)

Adkins is a marginal pitcher to be sure.  He has only gotten in 1-2 games, but he has warmed up a ton.  That means other guys aren't warming up and are getting full and complete rest days.

The goal is to keep the pitching fresh going into the stretch, not to give some guy 3-4 at bats per week.

Exactly...the whole point of why Adkins is here can basically be summed up as "in case s***" happens.

In case of an early exit by a starting pitcher or a blowout then Adkins can be summoned to pitch. I like the fact he is here just so he can come in and eat 3 or 4 innings when we need him. It may only be only two or three times a month but I would much rather see him out there than having Politte pitch two, Cotts one and Jenks one when we can use Adkins in these situations.

QUOTE(Chisoxrd5 @ Aug 13, 2005 -> 11:12 AM)
Exactly...the whole point of why Adkins is here can basically be summed up as "in case s***" happens.

In case of an early exit by a starting pitcher or a blowout then Adkins can be summoned to pitch. I like the fact he is here just so he can come in and eat 3 or 4 innings when we need him. It may only be only two or three times a month but I would much rather see him out there than having Politte pitch two, Cotts one and Jenks one when we can use Adkins in these situations.

^^^^^^Exactly. Adkins has one purpose on this team and it is to be the guy we use in blowouts or in verrrrrryy lonnnnnnnnng games so no one blows out their arms like Viz did in the Cleveland series. Thats why they are called long relief.

QUOTE(JimH @ Aug 12, 2005 -> 07:00 PM)

Adkins is a marginal pitcher to be sure.  He has only gotten in 1-2 games, but he has warmed up a ton.  That means other guys aren't warming up and are getting full and complete rest days.

That sounds all good Jim, but you're kidding yourself. Adkins hasn't been saving anyone by getting warmed up.

Our biggest lead of august was yesterday, with a 4 run margin, similarly, we faced our largest deficit of 4 runs. Adkins wasn't getting warm either time. 4 runs is too close of a game to bring him in. He's f'n useless.

He is giving Ozzie a license to use Cotts for one batter though. Cuz hey, if you've got an extra arm in the pen, you ain't gotta worry about running outta pitchas.

QUOTE(Gene Honda Civic @ Aug 13, 2005 -> 10:21 AM)
That sounds all good Jim, but you're kidding yourself. Adkins hasn't been saving anyone by getting warmed up.

Our biggest lead of august was yesterday, with a 4 run margin, similarly, we faced our largest deficit of 4 runs. Adkins wasn't getting warm either time. 4 runs is too close of a game to bring him in. He's f'n useless.

He is giving Ozzie a license to use Cotts for one batter though. Cuz hey, if you've got an extra arm in the pen, you ain't gotta worry about running outta pitchas.

I argued long ago for Adkins being used exactly as Jim said but after seeing Timo bat 5th and Adkins lack of use I'm more inclined now to agree with Gene. I don't think Cotts gets in there enough lately. It seems as though Ozzie is experimenting with Jenks when Cotts should be given a chance in the same role they are trying to fit Jenks into.

Well, your point is well taken but consider this ... there is one heck of a lot of August left, with tough opponents on deck. This team was built on pitching and although the extra arm hasn't been used much up to this point doesn't mean it won't be.

It's not so much that a 4 run game is too close to bring him in. It's all about keeping certain guys sharp, giving them some work, and not overusing other guys. It is way more important to have that pitching staff fresh vs. fitting in a few at bats for Ross Gload or whomever.

They can get through the next few weeks without extra bench players. Having the flexibility to keep the arms fresh is much more important, big picture.