Cy Young?

Milkman delivers

I know, I'm getting ahead of myself. But, I keep thinking about this question, and I can't come up with a definitive answer for myself. It looks right now that a pitcher from the Sox will win the Cy Young. With the injury to Halladay and the sub-par pitching from most other teams, it seems almost certain that the Cy Young award is going to Garland or Buehrle. There's pitchers with outside chances, such as Zito, but there isn't much of a chance that it will happen.

Yes, things can go to hell at any time, but one of these two guys are going to get it if things continue anywhere near the way they are. Garland has a big advantage in the win category, but Buehrle's ERA is much lower and he's considered the ace. So, who would you pick and why?

QUOTE(Milkman delivers @ Aug 7, 2005 -> 07:47 PM)
I know, I'm getting ahead of myself.  But, I keep thinking about this question, and I can't come up with a definitive answer for myself.  It looks right now that a pitcher from the Sox will win the Cy Young.  With the injury to Halladay and the sub-par pitching from most other teams, it seems almost certain that the Cy Young award is going to Garland or Buehrle.  There's pitchers with outside chances, such as Zito, but there isn't much of a chance that it will happen.

Yes, things can go to hell at any time, but one of these two guys are going to get it if things continue anywhere near the way they are.  Garland has a big advantage in the win category, but Buehrle's ERA is much lower and he's considered the ace.  So, who would you pick and why?

I don't consider three wins a big advantage. I think they'll be pretty close come the end of the season. Buehrle has a better chance of winning the Cy Young than Garland, because he's been good for so long and writers will really take notice of that.

Good thread.

This is very tough to decide. Yes, Garland has the edge in wins, but I don't think that's all Buehrle's fault either. Buehrle's hasn't had the run support he had in 2004, so a lot of games are tied when he has to come out.

Something I'd put in Garland's favor though is everytime we've needed a stopper out there, Jon's got the job done. JG's proven himself many times this year, that he's finally for real.

QUOTE(Milkman delivers @ Aug 7, 2005 -> 09:47 PM)
I know, I'm getting ahead of myself.  But, I keep thinking about this question, and I can't come up with a definitive answer for myself.  It looks right now that a pitcher from the Sox will win the Cy Young.  With the injury to Halladay and the sub-par pitching from most other teams, it seems almost certain that the Cy Young award is going to Garland or Buehrle.  There's pitchers with outside chances, such as Zito, but there isn't much of a chance that it will happen.

Yes, things can go to hell at any time, but one of these two guys are going to get it if things continue anywhere near the way they are.  Garland has a big advantage in the win category, but Buehrle's ERA is much lower and he's considered the ace.  So, who would you pick and why?

Garland. Beuhrle's ERA is lower but ultimately, they will go with thw guy has been nearly perfect all year, and so far, outside of 1 start, Garland has been perfect.

QUOTE(greasywheels121 @ Aug 7, 2005 -> 08:50 PM)
Good thread. 

This is very tough to decide.  Yes, Garland has the edge in wins, but I don't think that's all Buehrle's fault either.  Buehrle's hasn't had the run support he had in 2004, so a lot of games are tied when he has to come out.

Something I'd put in Garland's favor though is everytime we've needed a stopper out there, Jon's got the job done.  JG's proven himself many times this year, that he's finally for real.

Thanks. And I think you can make the same argument for Garland. I think he's been screwed two or three times out of wins, too.

QUOTE(WSFAN35 @ Aug 7, 2005 -> 08:50 PM)
I don't consider three wins a big advantage.  I think they'll be pretty close come the end of the season.  Buehrle has a better chance of winning the Cy Young than Garland, because he's been good for so long and writers will really take notice of that.

I'd consider three wins a big advantage. Say Garland wins 20 and Buehrle wins 17, or 21 and 18. I think it looks big enough to make a difference.

QUOTE(SoxFan1 @ Aug 7, 2005 -> 08:51 PM)
Garland. Beuhrle's ERA is lower but ultimately, they will go with thw guy has been nearly perfect all year, and so far, outside of 1 start, Garland has been perfect.

Two starts. One against the Rangers (I think) and last week against the Blue Jays. I think Garland has also beaten the harder teams this year.

QUOTE(TheDybber @ Aug 7, 2005 -> 08:56 PM)
I think I would have to go with Buehrle for two reasons...one, better ERA and two, better career.  It shouldn't matter, but I think it does.

But, i also wonder if Garland and Buehrle would split the vote?

Saved me some typing. I'm more worried about the votes getting split and someone > slipping in. Kind of like Pods getting in over two Yankmees

QUOTE(Texsox @ Aug 7, 2005 -> 08:59 PM)
Saved me some typing. I'm more worried about the votes getting split and someone > slipping in. Kind of like Pods getting in over two Yankmees

But I think a large majority of voters will be voting Garland or Buehrle, with barely anyone voting for a Zito/Harden. I just don't think the A's pitcher would get enough, even with Garland and Buehrle splitting. If it was out of 100 voters (I don't know the number, just using an arbitrarty number), I think it would be something like 45, 45, and 10 if there was a split at all.

QUOTE(Milkman delivers @ Aug 8, 2005 -> 02:04 AM)
But I think a large majority of voters will be voting Garland or Buehrle, with barely anyone voting for a Zito/Harden.  I just don't think the A's pitcher would get enough, even with Garland and Buehrle splitting.  If it was out of 100 voters (I don't know the number, just using an arbitrarty number), I think it would be something like 45, 45, and 10 if there was a split at all.

It's also going to depend on how pitchers finish. If Zito keeps winning, like Santana did last year, he might pull it out. Plus, he's a former winner, which pulls some weight. If Garland and/or Buehrle finish strong, one of those will probably win out.

Don't they get ranked though? The vote splits are less pronounced that way as long as those two guys are first and second no matter the order on most ballots. Zito is certainly an intriguing candidate and Halladay isn't done in this race yet. Just too close to call. Should be fun though. Mariano will finish no higher than 5th I believe

I think right now it should be Garland.

My lasting memories of Buehrle's season, at least as of this moment, are his meltdowns against Oakland, a bad outing in a showdown game against Santana early in the season, and him unable to hold a lead against the Red Sox.

Those are pretty much the best teams we've played all year and Garland is 4-1 against them.

I just wanted to throw this out there. This is the conversation I just had online with a Red Sox fan when I asked him who will win the AL Cy Young this year:

Dumbass: Garland and Colon

Dumbass: i would've said halladay if he hadn't gotten hurt

Me: no buehrle?

Dumbass: i don't know, he hasn't shown me wnough yet

Dumbass: but he's a solid dark horse

Me: his 2.79 ERA and 13 wins don't do it for you?

Dumbass: lol

Dumbass: not to say he isn't a solid contender, but to be honest, i think garland will prob win

Dumbass: guy hasn't had a bad outing all year

Me: he's had two, actually

QUOTE(Frankensteiner @ Aug 7, 2005 -> 09:00 PM)
I think right now it should be Garland.

My lasting memories of Buehrle's season, at least as of this moment, are his meltdowns against Oakland, a bad outing in a showdown game against Santana early in the season, and him unable to hold a lead against the Red Sox.

Those are pretty much the best teams we've played all year and Garland is 4-1 against them.

I think you are revising history here with your accounts of those games. THey weren't as bad as you let on

QUOTE(Milkman delivers @ Aug 7, 2005 -> 10:02 PM)
I just wanted to throw this out there.  This is the conversation I just had online with a Red Sox fan when I asked him who will win the AL Cy Young this year:

Dumbass: Garland and Colon

Dumbass: i would've said halladay if he hadn't gotten hurt

Me: no buehrle?

Dumbass: i don't know, he hasn't shown me wnough yet

Dumbass: but he's a solid dark horse

Me: his 2.79 ERA and 13 wins don't do it for you?

Dumbass: lol

Dumbass: not to say he isn't a solid contender, but to be honest, i think garland will prob win

Dumbass: guy hasn't had a bad outing all year

Me: he's had two, actually

relax, most people don't know everything about every team.

i've heard alot dumber things

QUOTE(Punch and Judy Garland @ Aug 7, 2005 -> 10:05 PM)
I think you are revising history here with your accounts of those games. THey weren't as bad as you let on

The amount of runs scored upon Buehrle in those games: 5, 7, 7, 5, 5.

Granted his defense didn't do him any favors, but I think how a pitcher performs against the best teams should be taken into account when voting. And even if Buehrle's struggles could be attributed in part to his team's poor play, the fact is Garland did get the job done in those situations should enhance his chances.

Garland:

Bad:

Outings where he's surrendered more than 4 ER = 4

Outings where he's surrendered 10 or more hits = 3

Outings where he's issued 3 or more walks = 2

Outings where he's surrendered 3 or more HRs = 2

Good:

Outings where he's held the oppenent to 2 ERs or less = 13

Outings where he's held the opponent to 0 ERs =3

Outings where he's held the opponent to 4 or less hits = 5

Outings where he's issued 1 walk or less to the opponent = 15

Outings where he has managed to not walk a single batter = 3

Buehrle:

Bad:

Outings where he's surrendered more than 4 ER = 3

Outings where he's surrendered 10 or more hits = 3

Outings where he's issued 3 or more walks = 3

Outings where he's surrendered 3 or more HRs = 1

Good

Outings where he's held the oppenent to 2 ERs or less = 13

Outings where he's held the opponent to 0 ERs = 6

Outings where he's held the opponent to 4 or less hits = 4

Outings where he's issued 1 walk or less to the opponent = 15

Outings where he has managed to not walk a single batter = 7

The fact of the matter is, even as dominate as Garland has been this year, Buehrle has been even better. Garland may have 3 more wins however Buehrle IMO as of August 7th is the AL Cy Young.