Official game thread for August 10th

Ishmookie

QUOTE(redandwhite @ Aug 10, 2005 -> 03:36 PM)
Did anyone not like the decision to send Podsednik?  An excellent win obviously, but you'd think you'd bunt him over to second with Pablo and leave it up to Everett and Konerko to get that insurance run in.

That's what has worked for us all year. I'd bet that Scotty went on his own, though. I had no problem with it.

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(redandwhite @ Aug 10, 2005 -> 03:36 PM)
Did anyone not like the decision to send Podsednik?  An excellent win obviously, but you'd think you'd bunt him over to second with Pablo and leave it up to Everett and Konerko to get that insurance run in.
It infuriated me. I will not soon forget the idiocy of this decision.

QUOTE(Milkman delivers @ Aug 10, 2005 -> 02:39 PM)
I think he's at 18 CS this year.  That's really, really bad.

He's still at 75 percent, that ain't bad. Considering how much pitchers throw over and how many better pitches he gets the guys behind him to hit because of the threat, that's perfectly fine.

QUOTE(Rowand44 @ Aug 10, 2005 -> 03:42 PM)
He's still at 75 percent, that ain't bad.  Considering how much pitchers throw over and how many better pitches he gets the guys behind him to hit because of the threat, that's perfectly fine.

It's just a lot of CS, though. It seems much worse since a good majority of them come in streaks. He must have 10 or 11 of those CS in the past month.

QUOTE(YASNY @ Aug 10, 2005 -> 08:38 PM)
That's what has worked for us all year.  I'd bet that Scotty went on his own, though.  I had no problem with it.

I really don't think he'd go on his own in that situation. It was just as blatant as the Dave Roberts stolen base last ALCS on Posada. I didn't like the move, but to each his own.

QUOTE(Milkman delivers @ Aug 10, 2005 -> 02:44 PM)
It's just a lot of CS, though.  It seems much worse since a good majority of them come in streaks.  He must have 10 or 11 of those CS in the past month.

Ya, that's the key is that he's in such a stolen base slump right now that it seems like a ton more. He'll get out of it though, hopefully we can clinch the division early and give him some rest, he's a bit beat up imo.

QUOTE(Milkman delivers @ Aug 10, 2005 -> 03:44 PM)
It's just a lot of CS, though.  It seems much worse since a good majority of them come in streaks.  He must have 10 or 11 of those CS in the past month.

He has. He's struggling with his jump right now. The only way he'll get it back is to keep on trying.

QUOTE(Rowand44 @ Aug 10, 2005 -> 03:46 PM)
Ya, that's the key is that he's in such a stolen base slump right now that it seems like a ton more.  He'll get out of it though, hopefully we can clinch the division early and give him some rest, he's a bit beat up imo.

Scotty would definitely benefit from extended time off IMO he's got a lotta wear on his legs, we need him fresh for October.

QUOTE(redandwhite @ Aug 10, 2005 -> 03:46 PM)
I really don't think he'd go on his own in that situation.  It was just as blatant as the Dave Roberts stolen base last ALCS on Posada.  I didn't like the move, but to each his own.

It has been widely said that Ozzie always gives him the green light to make his own decision in every situation. He trusts his baserunning ability, and so do I.

QUOTE(Rowand44 @ Aug 10, 2005 -> 03:46 PM)
Ya, that's the key is that he's in such a stolen base slump right now that it seems like a ton more.  He'll get out of it though, hopefully we can clinch the division early and give him some rest, he's a bit beat up imo.

Wanna admit he's a streaky base stealer yet? :P

This is his second slump of the season, though markedly longer than the other one.

QUOTE(Milkman delivers @ Aug 10, 2005 -> 02:48 PM)
Wanna admit he's a streaky base stealer yet? :P

This is his second slump of the season, though markedly longer than the other one.

I don't think he's streaky but I think we interpret streaky a little different. He's had 2 instances this year where he's had trouble stealing bases, besides that he's been awesome doing so. I consider that more of slumping then streaky but like I said it's how you interpret the word.

QUOTE(Rowand44 @ Aug 10, 2005 -> 08:52 PM)
I don't think he's streaky but I think we interpret streaky a little different.  He's had 2 instances this year where he's had trouble stealing bases, besides that he's been awesome doing so.  I consider that more of slumping then streaky but like I said it's how you interpret the word.

I don't know if either slumping or streaky are the right words. He's as predictable as ever, and when you know before the pitch is thrown that he's going, its obviously going to be easier to throw him out.

QUOTE(redandwhite @ Aug 10, 2005 -> 03:50 PM)
Sure, but do you "keep on trying" in key situations like todays?

Honestly, I think you have to. Ozzie cannot show a lack of confidence in him at thisa point in the season. This was a regular season game. I'd hate for him to have doubts during the playoffs. We need him stealing bases, or at least the threat of him doing so.

QUOTE(Rowand44 @ Aug 10, 2005 -> 03:52 PM)
I don't think he's streaky but I think we interpret streaky a little different.  He's had 2 instances this year where he's had trouble stealing bases, besides that he's been awesome doing so.  I consider that more of slumping then streaky but like I said it's how you interpret the word.

Yeah, seems like we just have a difference in our definitions. I think we both agree that Pods needs to get his head out of his ass and starting hitting/stealing again.

QUOTE(redandwhite @ Aug 10, 2005 -> 03:54 PM)
I don't know if either slumping or streaky are the right words.  He's as predictable as ever, and when you know before the pitch is thrown that he's going, its obviously going to be easier to throw him out.

Do you think Rickey Henderson was predictable?? When you are the leading base stealer, most everyone knows you are going to steal. He has the constant green light, deal with it.

QUOTE(redandwhite @ Aug 10, 2005 -> 03:54 PM)
I don't know if either slumping or streaky are the right words.  He's as predictable as ever, and when you know before the pitch is thrown that he's going, its obviously going to be easier to throw him out.

In what way would you say he is predictable? Just beaucase he always goes?

Just curious

QUOTE(RockRaines @ Aug 10, 2005 -> 08:56 PM)
Do you think Rickey Henderson was predictable??  When you are the leading base stealer, most everyone knows you are going to steal.  He has the constant green light, deal with it.

I haven't seen anyone in my life steal on a pitchout more than Podsednik has in the last month. If he gets on, he's going and when he's not being successful doing so you have to adjust. Especially if your only scoring runs by the way of the home run, you need as many runners on base as you can get, and have no business giving runs away with your 2-3-4 guys coming up to the plate.

QUOTE(redandwhite @ Aug 10, 2005 -> 03:59 PM)
I haven't seen anyone in my life steal on a pitchout more than Podsednik has in the last month.  If he gets on, he's going and when he's not being successful doing so you have to adjust.  Especially if your only scoring runs by the way of the home run, you need as many runners on base as you can get, and have no business giving runs away with your 2-3-4 guys coming up to the plate.

When else is a leadoff hitter gonna steal?

QUOTE(Milkman delivers @ Aug 10, 2005 -> 02:55 PM)
Yeah, seems like we just have a difference in our definitions.  I think we both agree that Pods needs to get his head out of his ass and starting hitting/stealing again.

Well, those wouldn't be my exact words :P But yes, we need to get him going again. It'll happen though, just a matter of time imo.

QUOTE(YASNY @ Aug 10, 2005 -> 09:01 PM)
When else is a leadoff hitter gonna steal?

Like I said I support his stealing, and trust him doing so, but its in the later innings in situations that make or break the game and when baserunners are hard to come by that I don't approve of it especially when your 2-3-4 hitters are coming to the plate.

QUOTE(redandwhite @ Aug 10, 2005 -> 04:06 PM)
Like I said I support his stealing, and trust him doing so, but its in the later innings in situations that make or break the game and when baserunners are hard to come by that I don't approve of it especially when your 2-3-4 hitters are coming to the plate.
I'm so glad we're focusing on this enormous part of the game today.