ARow versus 1-Dog

Balta1701

Who would you want in Center Field to track down the most important flyball in team history?  

60 members have voted

1. 1. Who would you want in Center Field to track down the most important flyball in team history?

• Aaron Rowand
    • Lance Johnson
    • Other (insert name below, but stick to White Sox players)

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Aug 11, 2005 -> 03:31 PM)
I think there's a few Yankee fans who can tell you.

:cheers

Actually they're more infatuated with Aron Rowland whoever the f*** that is.

They had never even heard of Aaron Rowand 2 weeks ago and now they love him. And why do they love him? Because he single handedly dominated a 3 game series with stellar defense.

Come on, Rowand had a great series vs Yankees and having a good season average wise, but you guys make him sound like he's a Kenny Lofton, Griffey type player in there primes? No comparison. Both Griffey and Lofton took over games on D and on Offense.

QUOTE(Soxpranos @ Aug 11, 2005 -> 02:06 PM)
Come on, Rowand had a great series vs Yankees and having a good season  average wise, but you guys make him sound like he's a Kenny Lofton, Griffey type player in there primes? No comparison.  Both Griffey and Lofton took over games on D and on Offense.

Griffey in his prime could do things that Rowand cannot do, I'll totally grant you that. Lofton? He was quicker than Rowand, but I think Rowand gets better jumps than even Lofton did in his prime.

And we're not talking about offense this thread, we're talking about defense. Of course you can't compare Aaron Rowand to a guaranteed Hall-of-Famer with about 530 career home runs on offense.

Edited by Balta1701

:chair Please, Loftons defense was one reason why the Indians won the AL central when we where in 2nd place. We go out to the Jake and he would just kill us in the gaps and to the wall, same when he came down to Comiskey. Lofton... much as I disliked him and Visquel was and by a long shot a better defender than Arrow will ever be. Be frank, dont let you heart tell you other wise. I believe we have Griifey and Lofton type defenders in the minors that we will see 1st hand. Lofton was not only quicker but much faster. Rowand has done a fine job for us this year.. but he has missed plenty of balls this year that he should of caught.. Lofton and Griffey Caught everything.. there were no ifs. Edited by Soxpranos

QUOTE(WilliamTell @ Aug 11, 2005 -> 07:53 PM)
What about Ordonez when he played center? Haha, anyways I loved watching Mike Cameron play. If he was on the list I would've voted for him, but I forgot about him so I picked Lance Johnson because I loved watching that little guy's speed getting to those balls.

There is an "Other" option for a reason. :bang :P

In all honesty, in my breif life and White Sox memories, I think Aaron is the best CF that I can remeber on the South Side.

QUOTE(SoxFan1 @ Aug 11, 2005 -> 10:58 PM)
There is an "Other" option for a reason. :bang  :P

In all honesty, in my breif life and White Sox memories, I think Aaron is the best CF that I can remeber on the South Side.

haha yeah I know, but I forgot about him until I saw his name in the thread.

QUOTE(Carlo Paz @ Aug 12, 2005 -> 06:38 AM)
My dad was just saying (at the game on Saturday) that he saw both Landis and Berry play, and that while Landis was faster, Berry was the best he ever saw.

I can't argue that. I remember Berry much more vividly than I do Landis. I knew he was very good, but due to my youth at the time, I wanted to give him the benefit of the doubt. I personally can vouch for Berry. He was the best I ever saw out there too.

QUOTE(Carlo Paz @ Aug 12, 2005 -> 06:38 AM)
My dad was just saying (at the game on Saturday) that he saw both Landis and Berry play, and that while Landis was faster, Berry was the best he ever saw.

Landis also won 5 gold gloves. I think they were all with the White Sox.