Sun Times Article

SnB

QUOTE(Milkman delivers @ Aug 12, 2005 -> 05:01 PM)
Yeah, get the tougher games out of the way first, then DL him.

What happens if Jenks completely tanks as the closer in his first attempt? Then, we have another two weeks with our bullpen is disarray against some very tough teams.

I think you either clinch the division or get your magic number below 10 before you take your foot off the accelerator.

If Dustin can pitch and he won't make himself worse by pitching, he's a great insurance policy to have when facing the Yankees and Red Sox.

Remember...these are teams we may very well face in the playoffs...and if nothing else...winning series against them gets your team in their head. If we face the Yankees in round 1...what do you think will be the first thing to cross their minds right now? "Oh no, not that center fielder again".

Rest Dustin in September. Maybe even starting August 26th at Seattle depending on how Cleveland does and how our magic number looks.

I disagree with DeLuca, 1st we haven't wrapped this up yet and with the 12 games we have in a row we can't afford not to have a closer. 2nd, a DL stint now wouldn't extend past Aug. 31st so we wouldn't get that spot to play with.

That said, after the series at Minny Aug. 23-25th would be an ideal time with 10 of 14 games vs sub .500 teams, the stint also encompassing the Aug. 31st deadline, and he would also miss out on the long flights to Seattle and Texas.

QUOTE(HSC's Biggest Fan @ Aug 12, 2005 -> 12:04 PM)
He'll go on the DL about Aug 30.  Atkins is not getting the work to start the doubleheader in Texas McCarthy can come up and start and give us a 6 man rotation for September.

This is pretty much my line of thought on the matter. We might see DL time for Pods, Crede, Everett, and/or Hermanson in late August and September.

QUOTE(southsider2k5 @ Aug 12, 2005 -> 05:14 PM)
This is pretty much my line of thought on the matter.  We might see DL time for Pods, Crede, Everett, and/or Hermanson in late August and September.

Why put them on the DL? With the expanded rosters, that wouldn't benefit us very much. The division won't be clinched by the end of August, so I don't think there's a chance we take our foot off the accelerator so soon.

QUOTE(fathom @ Aug 12, 2005 -> 12:16 PM)
Why put them on the DL?  With the expanded rosters, that wouldn't benefit us very much.  The division won't be clinched by the end of August, so I don't think there's a chance we take our foot off the accelerator so soon.

It gives us a chance to get somemore guys post season eliglible if we need them. It probably won't be necesary, but it could be useful once we know what our particular match up will be.

Great article it proves my continuing statements of Marte being the worst arm out of the bullpen

Vizcaino's ERA over his last 19 outings is 0.92 (two earned runs in 192/3 inning

Marte has a 5.14 ERA (four earned runs in seven innings) over his last 10 outings. He is 3-for-7 in save opportunities.

QUOTE(RockRaines @ Aug 12, 2005 -> 12:20 PM)
Great article it proves my continuing statements of Marte being the worst arm out of the bullpen

Vizcaino's ERA over his last 19 outings is 0.92 (two earned runs in 192/3 inning

Marte has a 5.14 ERA (four earned runs in seven innings) over his last 10 outings. He is 3-for-7 in save opportunities.

Saves for a non-closer is a worthless and misleading stat. As a set up guy, you never get the chance to save games, only to blow saves, so your numbers always look awful.

QUOTE(southsider2k5 @ Aug 12, 2005 -> 05:18 PM)
It gives us a chance to get somemore guys post season eliglible if we need them.  It probably won't be necesary, but it could be useful once we know what our particular match up will be.

I understand your point, but I just can't see Ozzie straying from our typical 25 man roster this season if we make the playoffs. He's a very loyal manager, and I don't believe he'd not include someone like Timo or Ozuna or Vizcaino on the postseason roster.

QUOTE(fathom @ Aug 12, 2005 -> 12:21 PM)
I understand your point, but I just can't see Ozzie straying from our typical 25 man roster this season if we make the playoffs.  He's a very loyal manager, and I don't believe he'd not include someone like Timo or Ozuna or Vizcaino on the postseason roster.

And he probably won't change his roster, but it is good planning to give yourself options. Plus the Sox have a history that saids they are not afraid to change their roster for the post season.

Personally I could see guys like Baj, Burke, Anderson, Borchard, Munoz, and/or McCarthy getting an early call as insurance policies.

QUOTE(southsider2k5 @ Aug 12, 2005 -> 10:26 AM)
And he probably won't change his roster, but it is good planning to give yourself options.  Plus the Sox have a history that saids they are not afraid to change their roster for the post season.

Personally I could see guys like Baj, Burke, Anderson, Borchard, Munoz, and/or McCarthy getting an early call as insurance policies.

I think we'll see almost all of them playing big roles in September just to get people rest since we have that luxury and since we don't want people to be hurt worse.

And on Marte...his problem remains throwing strikes to left handers, in my opinion. Every pitch he throws is either too far outside or too far inside. He still has the pitches and the velocity, but his control has gone to sh*t.

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Aug 12, 2005 -> 05:32 PM)
I think we'll see almost all of them playing big roles in September just to get people rest since we have that luxury and since we don't want people to be hurt worse.

And on Marte...his problem remains throwing strikes to left handers, in my opinion.  Every pitch he throws is either too far outside or too far inside.  He still has the pitches and the velocity, but his control has gone to sh*t.

Marte can't throw his slider to lefties now. In order to throw it for a strike, he has to hang it. His best sliders to lefties go outside. He's also more effective vs righties because his fastball tends to bolt high and to Marte's left. Against lefties, that pitch nearly hits them. However, against righties, he gets them to chase the pitch a lot of the time.

Problem with Marte is he short arm's his pitches most of the time now. Look at his release in 2003 and look at it now. He short arms it a lot. That's why this year, it's been rare to see him dial it up for the 95 he used to hit consistantly. Even compare the game against Cleveland with one of his bad games and you could see it. That's why he doesn't get lefties out and that's why his slider really isn't effective anymore.

Cooper has failed with this guy IMHO. That's the only guy who has really deproved on this pitching staff since Coop got here.

Edited by nitetrain8601