Grossman's Season Basically Over

QUOTE(SoxFan101 @ Aug 15, 2005 -> 08:09 PM)
Whatevr the case I think the Bears defese is going to surprise you Hammer.  While Ian Scott seems average the Bears organzation has had nothing but good things to say about him which leads me to believe he might be better.  Also Alex Brown was like a step away from so many sacks last year and he has worked hard this offseason to improve that  and get a quicker jump and we havent seen a healthy ogunleye yet.

Our defense is extremely balanced and there is no one pacific weak link in it that you can point at.  Sure there is Hunter Hillenmeyer and Ian Scott but they arent bad at all just not great.  And Hunter showed last year he could be really good while filling in for Urlacher some but im not completely sold on him.

I love the Bears defense. If they were to lead the league in takeaways, I wouldn't be surprised.

On the other hand, our lack of depth at LB and CB are major holes that can not be taken lightly. We can get by with adequate players at oen particular DT slot, there is no question about it.

The NFL is a confusing league. It's difficult to know anything definitively because of injuries, shelf-life, roster turnover, etc. One thing I know for sure is that depth rules all. That's why I have the Patriots at #1, even without Johnson (who retired on July 28, right over my head) and Bruschi. I'd say that they're a no-brain pick for best defense, and the only team that comes close in my eyes is Jacksonville.

And just because Buffalo and Carolina have excellent defensive squads, it doesn't mean that they are both locks for the playoffs. Same with Jacksonville, Baltimore, and Chicago. They all have major holes on offense that could turn them into mediocre overall teams.

Carolina is my Super Bowl pick in the NFC, but will I be surprised if they don't make the playoffs? Nope. The NFL is crazy like that.

• Replies 232
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(knightni @ Aug 15, 2005 -> 02:21 PM)
Steve Stenstrom, Dave Krieg, Mike Tomczak, Kordell Stewart, Shane Matthews...

damn, we forget Stenstrom, Krieg, and Tomczak. I just don't remember them starting any games. probably before my time, because the entire list is forgettable. except Stenstrom, I should've remembered him.

QUOTE(hammerhead johnson @ Aug 15, 2005 -> 03:24 PM)
I love the Bears defense.  If they were to lead the league in takeaways, I wouldn't be surprised.

On the other hand, our lack of depth at LB and CB are major holes that can not be taken lightly.  We can get by with adequate players at oen particular DT slot, there is no question about it.

The NFL is a confusing league.  It's difficult to know anything definitively because of injuries, shelf-life, roster turnover, etc.  One thing I know for sure is that depth rules all.  That's why I have the Patriots at #1, even without Johnson (who retired on July 28, right over my head) and Bruschi.  I'd say that they're a no-brain pick for best defense, and the only team that comes close in my eyes is Jacksonville. 

And just because Buffalo and Carolina have excellent defensive squads, it doesn't mean that they are both locks for the playoffs.  Same with Jacksonville, Baltimore, and Chicago.  They all have major holes on offense that could turn them into mediocre overall teams.

Carolina is my Super Bowl pick in the NFC, but will I be surprised if they don't make the playoffs?  Nope.  The NFL is crazy like that.

I agree with your last segment, in terms of the NFL being crazy. Carolina wouldn't be my pick for the Super Bowl, but when it comes to making the playoffs, the only teams in the NFL that I can't imagine being there are San Fran, Cleveland, and Miami. in case you're wondering (my guess is no), I'd pick Atlanta to rep the NFC in the Super Bowl.

QUOTE(chimpy2121 @ Aug 16, 2005 -> 01:19 PM)
Rumor is that Volek wants out of Tennessee. How about Michael Haynes and a draft pick for Volek? Can't be much worse than what we already got. :huh

http://www.tennessean.com/apps/pbcs.dll/ar.../508160360/1027

I was the first to suggest Voleck he would be a great edition and would probably do better then grossman did anyway.

• 3 months later...
QUOTE(White Sox Josh @ Aug 13, 2005 -> 01:24 PM)
Kyle Orton will be a stud.  This guy would've been the first pick in the draft had he not gotten hurt earlier last year.

So I'd thought it'd be good to come back to this thread now. :)

At least it's good to see Rex did actually make it back before the season ended (that's if the Bears will actually play him).

QUOTE(DBAH0 @ Dec 6, 2005 -> 06:47 AM)
So I'd thought it'd be good to come back to this thread now.  :)

At least it's good to see Rex did actually make it back before the season ended (that's if the Bears will actually play him).

Bumping the thread fto bring back that post was pointless. He's still saying the same thing every day! :lol: