White Sox vs Red Sox - 8/13/05

BigSqwert

You didn't watch those 8 innings that well.  There were quite a few hard hit balls.

I am actually a fan of Bajenaru, I've seen him pitch a lot in spring training but again, if he were so great, why haven't other teams been falling all over themselves to give us a good player in a trade?

Can Bajenaru go 4 innings, if necessary?  No, I don't think so.  And that's why they picked Adkins.  It has everything to do with what role he can fill.

Why is this so hard for this board to understand?  It's no conspiracy theory.  Adkins can fill in for long relief if necessary.  Bajenaru can't.

Most were bleeders, placers or bloopers like Ichiro, Winn, etc. Not saying Jeff was on top of his game by any means; wasn't his usual poinpoint self, velocity was down by an mph or two. But he definately didn't look "out of his league" as is the implication here, especially considering he was far from 100% health-wise. The logic that he must of not made a connection with Ozzie flat-out doesn't work for me. I trust my eyes.

It doesn't matter if Adkins can go 4 innings if he gives up 2-3 runs, ok? If need be, do away with a useless shlub like Blum and promote yet another reliever. Get creative with the pen. "Baj" can go 2-3 innings if the game is not out of reach.

All the talk of Gload or Bajenaru not being able to translate their performance to the bigs is a bit puzzling. Along with Jenks, they might actually be the two most ML-ready players we have in the minors. Yes, ahead of MaCarthy, ahead of Anderson.

All you're going by keeping a superior player in the minors is sending an ambiguous message to the rest of the affiliates/ML clubhouse. Excellence should always be rewarded. Timo, Ozuna, Willie, Blum - dreck, positional "versatility" or not.

Anyway, I am curious if you at all agree with my previous post, on Page 43. Thanks.

• Replies 728
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE('94WorldChamps @ Aug 14, 2005 -> 09:34 AM)
Most were bleeders, placers or bloopers like Ichiro, Winn, etc.    Not saying Jeff was on top of his game by any means; wasn't his usual poinpoint self, velocity was down by an mph or two. But he definately didn't look "out of his league" as is the implication here, especially considering he was far from 100% health-wise.    The logic that he must of not made a connection with Ozzie flat-out doesn't work for me.  I trust my eyes.

It doesn't matter if Adkins can go 4 innings if he gives up 2-3 runs, ok? If need be, do away with a useless shlub like Blum and promote yet another reliever.    Get creative with the pen. "Baj" can go 2-3 innings if the game is not out of reach. 

All the talk of Gload or Bajenaru not being able to translate their performance to the bigs is a bit puzzling.  Along with Jenks, they might actually be the two most ML-ready players we have in the minors. Yes, ahead of MaCarthy, ahead of Anderson.   

All you're going by keeping a superior player in the minors is sending an ambiguous message to the rest of the affiliates/ML clubhouse. Excellence should always be rewarded.    Timo, Ozuna, Willie, Blum - dreck, positional "versatility" or not.

Anyway, I am curious if you at all agree with my previous post, on Page 43. Thanks.

94, I have no idea who or what you are you seem to be new to the board, but you sound like an apologist for the Whitesox minor league system. its ok, you keep doing what you want to do. I don't beleive there is alot of talent there, whether thats because of injury or our scouting or the way the kids have developed. We can disagree, your posts won't conivnce me otherwise, and I appreciate the lesson in how pitching works. It actually describes to me how you in particular know much more than others on this board. Gives you instant credability.

Save your posts let me know when Baj makes it, and Diaz makes it or if Gload becomes a regular everyday player. My argument has never been Adkins versus Baj or any other player. My argument is that we have a crappy minor league system and have had one for the past 5 or so years.

As to your above quotes - I do think Jenks is ready "we didn't develop him" nice pick up though. Gload is a backup player, thats all he will be and yes he tears up AAA pitching because he spent his life there. Both Baj and Gload are better because they are older but there game should have transitioned already. They will never make it playing everyday. So far I am right.

Most were bleeders, placers or bloopers like Ichiro, Winn, etc.    Not saying Jeff was on top of his game by any means; wasn't his usual poinpoint self, velocity was down by an mph or two. But he definately didn't look "out of his league" as is the implication here, especially considering he was far from 100% health-wise.    The logic that he must of not made a connection with Ozzie flat-out doesn't work for me.  I trust my eyes.

It doesn't matter if Adkins can go 4 innings if he gives up 2-3 runs, ok? If need be, do away with a useless shlub like Blum and promote yet another reliever.    Get creative with the pen. "Baj" can go 2-3 innings if the game is not out of reach. 

All the talk of Gload or Bajenaru not being able to translate their performance to the bigs is a bit puzzling.  Along with Jenks, they might actually be the two most ML-ready players we have in the minors. Yes, ahead of MaCarthy, ahead of Anderson.   

All you're going by keeping a superior player in the minors is sending an ambiguous message to the rest of the affiliates/ML clubhouse. Excellence should always be rewarded.    Timo, Ozuna, Willie, Blum - dreck, positional "versatility" or not.

It does matter that Adkins can go 3-4 innings if necessary. That's why he's here, end of story. That's why Guillen and KW want him here, that's it. He can go multiple innings, Baj can't.

I'm not a big fan of Adkins either, but it is what it is.

QUOTE(quickman @ Aug 15, 2005 -> 12:48 AM)
My argument is that we have a crappy minor league system and have had one for the past 5 or so years.

As to your above quotes - I do think Jenks is ready "we didn't develop him" nice pick up though. Gload is a backup player, thats all he will be and yes he tears up AAA pitching because he spent his life there. Both Baj and Gload are better because they are older but there game should have transitioned already. They will never make it playing everyday. So far I am right.

Ok quick name 10 other minor league systems that are better than the Sox's for me (and it's a serious question because I think with the way our prospects have played this season so far it's certainly gone up the list).

Don't you think getting Jenks was good scouting for KW and the minor league guru's as well? I don't really agree 100% with the statement that we didn't develop him. Sure he had his stuff, but he was a train wreck. The Sox and the guys down in B-Ham gave him guidance on and off the field, converted him into a closer, and got him to throw strikes.

Don't forget this on Baj too quick, he was 22 when he was drafted by the Sox. He's 26-27 now. He missed 2002 with that shoulder injury. Since then he's posted ERA's of 3.2 in B-Ham (2003), 1.34 in B-Ham (04), 1.80 in Charlotte (04) and 1.04 this season in Charlotte.

In reference to Jim's earlier post about using Adkins instead of Baj, I've haven't got so much of a problem with that as other posters here. What I did have a problem with however, was Kevin Walker being given an oppurtunity, not once but twice, despite the fact he had terrible numbers down in Charlotte, and wasn't even used as a lefty LOOGY because he couldn't even get any hitters out at all.

94, I have no idea who or what you are you seem to be new to the board, but you sound like an apologist for the Whitesox minor league system. its ok, you keep doing what you want to do. I don't beleive there is alot of talent there, whether thats because of injury or our scouting or the way the kids have developed. We can disagree, your posts won't conivnce me otherwise, and I appreciate the lesson in how pitching works. It actually describes to me how you in particular know much more than others on this board. Gives you instant credability.

Save your posts let me know when Baj makes it, and Diaz makes it or if Gload becomes a regular everyday player.  My argument has never been Adkins versus Baj or any other player. My argument is that we have a crappy minor league system and have had one for the past 5 or so years.

Yes, I am an apologist for our minor league system. But only when the opposite POV is half-uninformed and half-kneejerk-doom-n-gloom. :)

I didn't praise Diaz. In fact, quite the opposite. Read. Gload has only been give ONE shot to become an everyday player... and he did! High-800 OPS as an everyday player in August-September of '04. So try again. And how easy do you think it is to dominate AAA to the extent that they do? Giving up 2 HR in 60 innings in that bandbox alone is worthy of some kind of medal.

What's with the (organizational) inferiority complex? Jenks was totally given up on by "them". Ditto Garland. And Cotts. Hence, they're ours. Not that it makes a difference.

Edited by '94WorldChamps

Yes, I am an apologist for our minor league system. But only when the opposite POV is half-uninformed and half-kneejerk-doom-n-gloom.    :)

I didn't praise Diaz.  In fact, quite the opposite.  Read. Gload has only been give ONE shot to become an everyday player... and he did! High-800 OPS as an everyday player in August-Septeber of '04. So try again.    And how easy do ou think is it to dominate AAA to the extent that they do?    Giving up 2 HR in 60 innings in that bandbox alone is worthy of some kind of medal.     

What's with the (organization) inferiority complex? Jenks was totally given up on by "them". Ditto Garland. And Cotts. Hence, they're ours. Not that it makes a difference.

Well, I guess there is concensus on Diaz in this thread, he is a meatbag at best, the only guy who likes him here is Keith whom I give credit to sticking to his guns.

Gload's stats were great in September garbage time, when he was facing glorified AAA pitching and his team was out of it.

Maybe he is a great undiscovered talent but wouldn't you think all these talent starved teams would've taken a chance on him?

'94, just curious, what was your user name before? I see you have 8 posts but you sound familiar ...I can't keep all these names straight here.

QUOTE('94WorldChamps @ Aug 14, 2005 -> 09:58 AM)
Yes, I am an apologist for our minor league system. But only when the opposite POV is half-uninformed and half-kneejerk-doom-n-gloom.    :)

I didn't praise Diaz.  In fact, quite the opposite.  Read. Gload has only been give ONE shot to become an everyday player... and he did! High-800 OPS as an everyday player in August-Septeber of '04. So try again.    And how easy do ou think is it to dominate AAA to the extent that they do?    Giving up 2 HR in 60 innings in that bandbox alone is worthy of some kind of medal.     

What's with the (organization) inferiority complex? Jenks was totally given up on by "them". Ditto Garland. And Cotts. Hence, they're ours. Not that it makes a difference.

Personally, you will not convince me so why try?All they did with jenks is take away his booze. For the other players you mention, so far I am right. Are they here? NO, if they do play regulary, then you win, if its more the same then I win. I do know how to read, thanks. I read how you explained pitching to me, God I was enlightened. With that explanation why in the world would Baj be in the minors? Only you can tell us. BUT he is and so is gload. SO far I am right about these guys, but you can keep your expert analyzation. Seems you are pretty bold for a new guy, or maybe your just another retread.

Lance "Dirk Diggler" Broadway tops out at 92, not 90.  Doesn't telegraph his intentions, either - unlike Danny Wright, Jason Grilli, Gary Glover among countless flaming-throwing losers who have graced our mound. That's for starters.

Secondly... Allow me to explain how this pitching thing works:  location, changing of the speeds, movement, more location. Velocity is a diiiistant fifth, unless you're 97-100,  and even then it ain't everything. Broadway has an excellent hammer and a nice change-up, and lately has shown he can pound both corners with the best of them, which led to the meteoric rise of his stock pre-draft. Carillo isn't entirely devoid of talent, either; definately livelier/heavier fastball and sexier frame than Broadway's, but in the long run, that don't mean s*** if he lacks the Poise and the Touch - which most do. Time will tell.           

The reason Felix Diaz and Arnie Munox failed has nothing to do with their lack of a mid-to-high-90s fastball with otherwordly movement.  Nada. They choked - which is a far more frequent occurence among talented prospects than most teams would admit.    When faced with 30K-strong crowds and the media circus, Diaz all of the sudden couldn't locate, couldn't throw a change-up or a slider to save his life.  Basic scheme: fall behind, groove one, get ahead, nibble, groove one.    The one start he looked like his AAA self - against the Cubs - he shut them down.    Arnie was even worse, just a total s***ting of the pants, with release point going to hell, which killed location, change-up floated, curve rolled, ugly...

Whereas Broadway, MaCarthy and Gio are all tough as nails mentally, with a legitimate 3-pitch arsenal (even if Brandon couldn't control the curve and didn't even feature the change-up - brought up a year too early; could use a sinker more than a cutter in the future, as well), and even though all three could very well bust out - such is baseball reality - there's definately a reason to be optimistic. You can add Haigwood to the list, as well.    The worst farm system in the majors? Not even close.

Also:  Before his shoulder came apart, Rauch was absolutely the real deal. Likewise, Kip Wells is also nothing to sneeze at when he was 100%.    Kris Honel is all of 22 and has only recently regained his stuff. Cotts is no longer hopeless, either.  So don't exaggerate.

Some flaws here, but thanks for enlightening us, where have you been all our lives, how did we get by without the benefit of your vast knowledge? :P

Rauch was a head case, before and after the shoulder problem.

Kris Honel, I hope he makes it, the odds are long. They outrighted him and not one of the other 29 teams took a chance. He's another guy who needed (needs?) to mature. Like I said I hope he comes around.

Cotts ... has found his niche. As a starter, he doesn't have the necessary pitches. Just my opinion.

Munoz and Diaz ... I watched them both crap their pants in Tucson, so no thanks on those two guys. I have nothing against them personally, I just prefer they don't pitch for the White Sox so I don't have to watch them crap their pants in the majors. Apparantly the Sox agree with this POV because they're not here.

I like the Broadway pick, I feel he has the smarts, and I like his low walk totals, albeit in High A ball. I think he has a good shot. We'll see.

And just as we have both identified ... we'll see. I'm not counting on any of them frankly. Too many flame out. No one here is a true judge of talent, it's all just opinions anyways.

QUOTE(DBAH0 @ Aug 14, 2005 -> 09:57 AM)
Ok quick name 10 other minor league systems that are better than the Sox's for me (and it's a serious question because I think with the way our prospects have played this season so far it's certainly gone up the list).

Don't you think getting Jenks was good scouting for KW and the minor league guru's as well? I don't really agree 100% with the statement that we didn't develop him. Sure he had his stuff, but he was a train wreck. The Sox and the guys down in B-Ham gave him guidance on and off the field, converted him into a closer, and got him to throw strikes.

Don't forget this on Baj too quick, he was 22 when he was drafted by the Sox. He's 26-27 now. He missed 2002 with that shoulder injury. Since then he's posted ERA's of 3.2 in B-Ham (2003), 1.34 in B-Ham (04), 1.80 in Charlotte (04) and 1.04 this season in Charlotte.

In reference to Jim's earlier post about using Adkins instead of Baj, I've haven't got so much of a problem with that as other posters here. What I did have a problem with however, was Kevin Walker being given an oppurtunity, not once but twice, despite the fact he had terrible numbers down in Charlotte, and wasn't even used as a lefty LOOGY because he couldn't even get any hitters out at all.

Here comes the Baj apologist. I really don't care who was injured and when. I know you like him but why isn't he playing here or any other damn ball club. I will measure the players on what they do here. I don't think he will make it. Whats wrong with that? So far I am right. Please tell me when he makes this club and sticks. LEt me know.When?

Well, I guess there is concensus on Diaz in this thread, he is a meatbag at best, the only guy who likes him here is Keith whom I give credit to sticking to his guns.

Gload's stats were great in September garbage time, when he was facing glorified AAA pitching and his team was out of it.

Maybe he is a great undiscovered talent but wouldn't you think all these talent starved teams would've taken a chance on him?

I merely brought up Diaz as an example of someone who failed not because of his 90 mph fastball, but because all of the sudden he lacked everything else that made him successful in the minors. I am not a fan, to say the least. MaCarthy, Gio, Broadway, Lumsden aren't guaranteed s***, but to write them off already is beyond preposterous.

I don't buy the garbage time arguement, not completely anyway - it's simply not as easy as you're making it out to be. Bigs are bigs. And it's not Gload's fault he was given a chance in late August.

Great undiscovered talent? What's next? A 1st-ballot Haller? Seriously, the guy has a low-maintanence, compact gap-happy swing from the Left side, and he can run and field better than your average 1st sacker. He's clearly a man among boys in Charlotte. With injuries to Everett and Podsednik, he deserved a second shot. He didn't get it.

QUOTE(JimH @ Aug 14, 2005 -> 10:14 AM)
Some flaws here, but thanks for enlightening us, where have you been all our lives, how did we get by without the benefit of your vast knowledge? :P

Rauch was a head case, before and after the shoulder problem.

Kris Honel, I hope he makes it, the odds are long.  They outrighted him and not one of the other 29 teams took a chance.  He's another guy who needed (needs?) to mature.  Like I said I hope he comes around.

Cotts ... has found his niche.  As a starter, he doesn't have the necessary pitches.  Just my opinion.

Munoz and Diaz ... I watched them both crap their pants in Tucson, so no thanks on those two guys.  I have nothing against them personally, I just prefer they don't pitch for the White Sox so I don't have to watch them crap their pants in the majors.  Apparantly the Sox agree with this POV because they're not here.

I like the Broadway pick, I feel he has the smarts, and I like his low walk totals, albeit in High A ball.  I think he has a good shot.  We'll see.

And just as we have both identified ... we'll see.  I'm not counting on any of them frankly.  Too many flame out.  No one here is a true judge of talent, it's all just opinions anyways.

don't forget Edwin almonte, he was our closer in double A. Now Corwin Malone is the closer in doubleA. Wasn't Corwin one of our top left handed prospects, Paving the way for the great Wes Whisler.

QUOTE('94WorldChamps @ Aug 14, 2005 -> 10:15 AM)
I merely brought up Diaz as an example of someone who failed not because of his 90 mph fastball, but because all of the sudden he lacked everything else that made him successful in the minors.    I am not a fan, to say the least.    MaCarthy, Gio, Broadway, Lumsden aren't guaranteed s***, but to write them off already is beyond preposterous.

I don't buy the garbage time arguement, not completely anyway - it's simply not as easy as you're making it out to be.  Bigs are bigs. And it's not Gload's fault he was given a chance in late August.     

Great undiscovered talent? What's next?  A 1st-ballot Haller? Seriously, the guy has a low-maintanence, compact gap-happy swing from the Left side, and he can run and field better than your average 1st sacker.  He's clearly a man among boys in Charlotte. With injuries to Everett and Podsednik, he deserved a second shot. He didn't get it.

but why didn't he get the chance?

QUOTE(quickman @ Aug 15, 2005 -> 01:14 AM)
Here comes the Baj apologist. I really don't care who was injured and when. I know you like him but why isn't he playing here or any other damn ball club. I will measure  the players on what they do here. I don't think he will make it. Whats wrong with that? So far I am right. Please tell me when he makes this club and sticks. LEt me know.When?

The guys in the pen in front of Jeff Bajenaru;

Dustin Hermanson, Neal Cotts, Cliff Politte, Bobby Jenks, Damaso Marte and Luis Vizcaino (Adkins as the long man).

That's a damn good pen, and almost every other major league team would love to have it. Therefore there's no room for Baj at the moment. Maybe teams have tried to trade for him and KW has said no. It's awfully premajure to write a guy off after he's had what 8 innings of major league relief. People were falling over themselves bashing the crap out of Neal Cotts earlier in the year. After 1 simple adjustment now they're fallin all over themselves to get on his bandwagon.

I merely brought up Diaz as an example of someone who failed not because of his 90 mph fastball, but because all of the sudden he lacked everything else that made him successful in the minors.    I am not a fan, to say the least.    MaCarthy, Gio, Broadway, Lumsden aren't guaranteed s***, but to write them off already is beyond preposterous.

I don't buy the garbage time arguement, not completely anyway - it's simply not as easy as you're making it out to be.  Bigs are bigs. And it's not Gload's fault he was given a chance in late August.     

Great undiscovered talent? What's next?  A 1st-ballot Haller? Seriously, the guy has a low-maintanence, compact gap-happy swing from the Left side, and he can run and field better than your average 1st sacker.  He's clearly a man among boys in Charlotte. With injuries to Everett and Podsednik, he deserved a second shot. He didn't get it.

Well, I guess that's that, which is fine ... you think Gload got shafted because he proved himself, I don't. No problem there.

I would say the reason why Gload didn't get his shot until Aug./Sept. is because he doesn't have the all around talent level to be a big league regular. Roosevelt Brown is tearing it up in Charlotte too. So is Willie Harris.

He was sent down because they acquired a guy who can play multiple positions, and play them capably. That's Blum. And it gives them a chance to carry 12 arms, which is a whole other argument in another thread.

QUOTE(quickman @ Aug 15, 2005 -> 01:17 AM)
don't forget Edwin almonte, he was our closer in double A. Now Corwin Malone is the closer in doubleA. Wasn't Corwin one of our top left handed prospects, Paving the way for the great Wes Whisler.

Malone is not the closer in AA. Dwanye Pollok and Paulino Reynoso are actually rotating the role. Almonte was all the way back in 2001 BTW.

QUOTE('94WorldChamps @ Aug 14, 2005 -> 10:15 AM)

I will agree with your point about not writing them off. I didn't write all of them off. I do think Baj won't make it. Stuck with Borachrd and crede way too long. Thought they would be all stars. Crede is average not an all star. Drank the cool aid of Willie Harris, the next ray durham. My point is most don't make it, MOST, and the ones that do are either role players or stars. We have very few that are stars.

QUOTE(DBAH0 @ Aug 14, 2005 -> 10:19 AM)
The guys in the pen in front of Jeff Bajenaru;

Dustin Hermanson, Neal Cotts, Cliff Politte, Bobby Jenks, Damaso Marte and Luis Vizcaino (Adkins as the long man).

That's a damn good pen, and almost every other major league team would love to have it. Therefore there's no room for Baj at the moment. Maybe teams have tried to trade for him and KW has said no. It's awfully premajure to write a guy off after he's had what 8 innings of major league relief. People were falling over themselves bashing the crap out of Neal Cotts earlier in the year. After 1 simple adjustment now they're fallin all over themselves to get on his bandwagon.

Ok we will see if he is on the team or any team next year. I highly doubt it.

QUOTE(DBAH0 @ Aug 14, 2005 -> 10:22 AM)
Malone is not the closer in AA. Dwanye Pollok and Paulino Reynoso are actually rotating the role. Almonte was all the way back in 2001 BTW.

thanks I apprecaite that, which one of those guys will play for us in the next 3 years? None. My falult on malone. Didn't he get a save the other day?

QUOTE(quickman @ Aug 15, 2005 -> 01:24 AM)
Ok we will see if he is on the team or any team next year. I highly doubt it.

I'd say Viz may not be back next season, and maybe not Marte. That leaves possibly 2 spots open, 1 possibly for a free agent, and 1 in house for a guy like Baj possibly.

He's not a stuff guy, if he had better stuff he'd probably be on a major league team right now. But when you look what he's done over the past 3 years, the majority of the last 2 at a hitters paradise in Charlotte (with sub 2 ERA's), he's been unlucky to not get a chance. If he was in an organization like the Tampa Bay Devil Rays who are crying out for relievers, he definitely would have by now.

Don't forget the Gio Gonzalez, Ray Liotta and Daniel Haigwood fan clubs now.

I love all those guys, especially Ray Liotta ... loved him in Goodfellas, they found Carbone in the meat truck all frozen up, could have been Felix Diaz instead.

QUOTE(quickman @ Aug 15, 2005 -> 01:26 AM)
thanks I apprecaite that, which one of those guys will play for us in the next 3 years? None. My falult on malone. Didn't he get a save the other day?

Well who was the closer before that? Bobby Jenks, and he's up with the big club right now.

Malone started earlier in the year, and then got moved into relief, due to the number of starters in B-Ham. You've got Haegar with his knucklers, Haigwood's been insane since he's moved up from high A ball, Heath Phillips has done well again, Kris Honel has had 4 out of his last 5 starts to be good ones IIRC.

Reynoso's actually got some really good stuff, that's why he was moved onto the 40 man roster in the off-season. I doubt we'll see him up anytime soon in the future though unless he improves on his numbers.