White Sox vs Red Sox - 8/13/05

BigSqwert

• Replies 728
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(GBlum27 @ Aug 14, 2005 -> 01:51 AM)
Why must you mention everyone that isn't work out?

Not Young, Sweeney, Anderson, Gio, Haigwood, Owens, BMac, Liotta, Valido, Haeger, Rogo, and Tracey?

I'm not saying you're wrong, but lets wait until one of them actually contributes a thing at the MLB level. It's way too early to judge any of those guys.

QUOTE(fathom @ Aug 13, 2005 -> 08:52 PM)
I'm not saying you're wrong, but lets wait until one of them actually contributes a thing at the MLB level.  It's way too early to judge any of those guys.

I'm not saying they are gonna be studs either but you could go through any team and bash their system based on busts...

QUOTE(GBlum27 @ Aug 14, 2005 -> 01:52 AM)
I'm not saying they are gonna be studs either but you could go through any team and bash their system based on busts...

Agreed, but a lot of teams have a lot more to show for their farm system in the last 5 years than the White Sox do. Luckily, we've made some trades that weren't blockbusters that really helped this team (Garland, Uribe, and Marte).

QUOTE(CWSGuy406 @ Aug 14, 2005 -> 01:54 AM)
Quick saying that he's just gonna be a #4-#5 is one of the dumbest things I've read on this site in a while.

Why's that? It's too early to tell about McCarthy, but he doesn't jump out at me as a sure-fire MLB starter for years to come.

QUOTE(JimH @ Aug 13, 2005 -> 08:50 PM)
bTW the official site is saying Podsednik to the DL is possible, and management or scouts are telling Guillen that Jerry Owens is ready, but Guillen doesn't think he is.

So apparantly they're looking at Owens if Pods is out.  We'll see how it goes.  Guillen wants a leadoff guy.

Jim they should have DL'd him last week when he hurt himself. He has not been the same. THis is why you don't worry about where griffey plays.

QUOTE(CWSGuy406 @ Aug 13, 2005 -> 07:54 PM)
BTW -- McCarthy's line tonight (in a rain shortened game):  7 IP, 7 Ks, 3 Hs, 0 R, 0 BBs.

His ERA is down to 4.18.

Quick saying that he's just gonna be a #4-#5 is one of the dumbest things I've read on this site in a while.

What were Jon Rauch's numbers back in 2000, when he was considered the top prospect in baseball. The Sox and Expos/Nationals would have loved for him to be a #4 or #5 starter.

"And in this cornah ... weighing in at 150 pound soaking wet ... from the south suburbs of Chicago ... Keith ... Killer Keith!"

"And his opponent ... in the far corner ... wearing plaid shorts, striped shirt, and sandals with white socks ... The Narc of Negativity ... The Dean of Doom ... The High Priest of Hostile ... QUICKMAN !!"

QUOTE(CWSGuy406 @ Aug 13, 2005 -> 07:54 PM)
BTW -- McCarthy's line tonight (in a rain shortened game):  7 IP, 7 Ks, 3 Hs, 0 R, 0 BBs.

His ERA is down to 4.18.

Too many people jump the gun with young players (it makes sense to be worried I suppose, with all the busts there are), there may be rare cases, but a starting pitcher in the Major Leagues needs time to develop and learn how to pitch to Major League hitters. Garland is a great example

QUOTE(GBlum27 @ Aug 13, 2005 -> 08:51 PM)
Why must you mention everyone that isn't work out?

Not Young, Sweeney, Anderson, Gio, Haigwood, Owens, BMac, Liotta, Valido, Haeger, Rogo, and Tracey?

I am sorry did any of the guys you mentioned make it? How many of them will make it? how many will play for this team? Last year did you think Diaz was going to be a major league pitcher for somebody and have a career in the majors? You see I didn't.

QUOTE(Dick Allen @ Aug 14, 2005 -> 01:58 AM)
What were Jon Rauch's numbers back in 2000, when he was considered the top prospect in baseball. The Sox and Expos/Nationals would have loved for him to be a #4 or #5 starter.

Rauch got injured, and never struck out over nine per nine IP at a level above AA. He also never had the control that McCarthy had.

BTW, Fathom, McCarthy must be doing something right to have struck out almost 120 in about 105 IP...