The whole team is slumping

fathom

QUOTE(winodj @ Aug 17, 2005 -> 08:49 AM)
So we're in a slump?

We waited til August, to have our first of the year.

Seems like good news to me.

The Red Sox are heating up, we look like s***...if this continues, say good-bye to home field advantage and maybe even the playoffs. The Indians are not out of this by a long shot. So doesn't really sound like good news.

Maybe we don't want home-field, based on the way we have been playing there. :bang

QUOTE(YASNY @ Aug 17, 2005 -> 12:11 AM)
Replacing Konerko with Blum probably saved a game in NY as Blum snared a liner headed for the RF corner with the tying and winning runs on base for the Yankees.

Edit:  Now, I'm suddenly not so sure it was against NY.

Actually that was another thing I questioned. Blum made a heck of a nice pick in the bottom of the 9th, but I can't figure out why Blum is out their for defensive purposes.

I figure Konerko is the better of the two defensively, especially when it comes to picking the ball. Maybe I'm wrong though and that was a sweet pick by Blum on Uribe's throw (it was a very good play all around).

QUOTE(Chisoxfn @ Aug 17, 2005 -> 09:24 AM)
Actually that was another thing I questioned.  Blum made a heck of a nice pick in the bottom of the 9th, but I can't figure out why Blum is out their for defensive purposes. 

I figure Konerko is the better of the two defensively, especially when it comes to picking the ball.  Maybe I'm wrong though and that was a sweet pick by Blum on Uribe's throw (it was a very good play all around).

Blum should of come in for Crede. His bat is absolutely no existant right now and he is having some problems over at 3rd on positioning and basic plays.

QUOTE(HSC's Biggest Fan @ Aug 17, 2005 -> 07:00 AM)
Dye is the Dye from April talk about looking lost at the plate.

We need a bat, big time.

There was a stat that said Dye's last sac bunt was in May of 2001. I don't know why Oz would make him try it last night. I agree we need a big bat. Every playoff-caliber AL team has that one hitter you fear. Boston has Ortiz, Ramirez. Anaheim has Vlad. Oakland has Chavez. This just shows how much Frank's injury really hurts the lineup. We do need a big bat, but I think we're stuck with what we have.

QUOTE(fathom @ Aug 17, 2005 -> 07:35 AM)
BTW, I just posted this in the gamethread, but we face some ridiculous starting pitching in the next week or so.  By my calculations, we'll face Randy Johnson, Radke, Santana, Silva, and Felix Hernandez on consecutive nights.  Oh boy, this might not be pretty.

As far as facing those starting pitchers, well I guess we'll see how they'll fare in the playoffs. Facing the likes of Harden, Zito, Blanton. Or Washburn, Colon, Escobar, Clement, Wells, or maybe even Schilling won't be much of a cakewalk.

QUOTE(southsideirish71 @ Aug 17, 2005 -> 09:37 AM)
Blum should of come in for Crede.  His bat is absolutely no existant right now and he is having some problems over at 3rd on positioning and basic plays.

Also, where was Ozuna? Why didn't he hit for Crede or Uribe? He could have at least done something fundamental like get the runners over? Crede 0-for-7 is pathetic and the at bats didn't do anything productive. He is back to his useless self.

There, I'm done.

Edited by robinventura23

QUOTE(robinventura23 @ Aug 17, 2005 -> 10:33 AM)
There was a stat that said Dye's last sac bunt was in May of 2001.  I don't know why Oz would make him try it last night.

He tried it on only 1 pitch first of all...but more importantly he did so because the situation absolutely mandated a bunt. A guy on 1b with no one out in the bottom of liek the 14th inning...you just have to do something to get the guy to 2nd. Anything but a strikeout. A bunt was the right call, even if the guy hasn't done it in years.

Also,  where was Ozuna?  Why didn't he hit for Crede or Uribe?  He could have at least done something fundamental like get the runners over?  Crede 0-for-7 is pathetic and the at bats didn't do anything productive.  He is back to his useless self.

Ozuna and Widger were right where they were supposed to be...sitting on the bench in case someone got hurt.

Let's say Ozuna pinch hits for Dye in the 14th and we still don't get the run home. What happens if the next inning someone twists an ankle running (i.e. Shannon Stewart) or gets plunked by a ball and simply can't go on? What do we do? Put Buehrle in at shortstop?