Rotoworld predicts sox to sign Jarrod Washburn

maggsmaggs

I don't see how we will be in a position to spend that money when we have Count, Hernandez, McCarthy all going for 2 spots.  I don't think El-Duque will be traded, but count has looked very solid all year and an NL team might take a chance on him.  Any thoughts?

Here's the link for the rest of the pitchers: http://www.rotoworld.com/content/story.asp...B&storyid=15355

No thanks but no thanks!

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I'd like to see the Sox make a run at Chipper Jones or Melvin Mora if either becomes available, and B.J. Ryan or Billy Wagner if either becomes available. That would give the Sox a legit closer, and an offensive upgrade at 3B.

Can't speak for anyone else, but I like my closers/relivers making no more than 2-3 Mill a year. Unless you're Gagne on roids or Mariano or somethun'.

Politte-Cotts-Vizcaino-Jenks-Marte are just gonna have to get it done on the cheap in 2006. (Assuming Hermanson is traded while he has value.)

The $$$ freed up from departures of Everettand Konerko + whatever raise JR promised should be spent mostly toward offense. And, no, that don't mean throwing 10-12 Mill after Furcal matter, either.

QUOTE(Yeast Confection @ Aug 22, 2005 -> 10:28 PM)
Can't speak for anyone else, but I like my closers/relivers making no more than 2-3 Mill a year.    Unless you're Gagne on roids or Mariano or somethun'.

Politte-Cotts-Vizcaino-Jenks-Marte are just gonna have to get it done on the cheap in 2006.  (Assuming Hermanson is traded while he has value.)

The $$$ freed up from departures of Everettand Konerko + whatever raise JR promised should be spent mostly toward offense.    And, no, that don't mean throwing 10-12 Mill after Furcal matter, either.

If not Furcal then who do you suggest they go after? This is an extremely weak FA market.

Kevin Millah? Bill Mueller? Nomah? Jaque Jones? Johnny Damon? Hidalgo? WEAK

The only guy I really like is Brian Giles. 96 walks is quite valuable to a ballclub.

Edited by Kalapse

QUOTE(Kalapse @ Aug 22, 2005 -> 11:33 PM)
If not Furcal then who do you suggest they go after? This is an extremely weak FA market.

The only guy I really like is Brian Giles. 96 walks is quite valuable to a ballclub.

Wow. Just wow. Damon was an All-Star for a reason. Hidalgo can be compared to Dye with lesser D but more pop.

QUOTE(SoxFan1 @ Aug 22, 2005 -> 10:34 PM)
Wow. Just wow. Damon was an All-Star for a reason. Hidalgo can be compared to Dye with lesser D but more pop.

Damon = gobs of money, the Cubs will throw a s*** load at him, as well as the Sawks and the yanks. You dont' wanna spend $10+ on Furcal, you can't bring up Damon's name.

Hidalgo blows, if you want anything to do with that guy you're a f***ing idiot. .221 BA and 16 HRs not to mention the fact that he's on the DL right now, yeah he's as good as Dye, check your stats.

QUOTE(Kalapse @ Aug 22, 2005 -> 11:38 PM)
Damon = gobs of money, the Cubs will throw a s*** load at him, as well as the Sawks and the yanks. You dont' wanna spend $10+ on Furcal, you can't bring up Damon's name.

Hidalgo blows, if you want anything to do with that guy you're a f***ing idiot. .221 BA and 16 HRs not to mention the fact that he's on the DL right now, yeah he's as good as Dye, check your stats.

Hmm, I am sure you would have said that about Dye/Hidalgo in the 1st month and a half of the season... :rolly

QUOTE(SoxFan1 @ Aug 22, 2005 -> 10:41 PM)
Hmm, I am sure you would have said that about Dye/Hidalgo in the 1st month and a half of the season... :rolly

Yes, the guy has been horribly inconsitant over his career and is consistantly injured.

Oh yeah, your point makes s*** of sence. Hidalgo hit .173 in April with 2 HRs and 9 RBI. Dye hit .175 with 3 HRs and 8 RBI. That's about equal and considering how I dislike Hidalgo and I loved the Dye signing, I'm gonna say I'd stick with Dye.

Hell, Hidalgo busted out in May with a .307 BA, 8 HRs and 19 RBI then went on an absolute tear in June by hitting a White Hot .139 BA, 3 HRs and 6 RBI.

Dye >>> Hidalgo.

QUOTE(Kalapse @ Aug 22, 2005 -> 10:38 PM)

Id spend 10 dollars on furcal

QUOTE(SoxFan1 @ Aug 22, 2005 -> 10:55 PM)
Just to be clear...I never said that I would have Hidalgo over Dye. I was simpy defending the FACT that Hidalgo does not suck.

He may not suck but he does blow. Injuries + incositancy + bad D = a average to below average ballplayer, even if he did hit 44 HRs in one season.

I don't care how weak/strong the market is. Some things you do; some things you just don't.

Mueller is not a bad idea unless he costs more than 4 Mill. In addition to that, Sox might want to dump some of their overrated prospects in exchange for either Tracy or Overbay, who should be cheap for at least 3 more years. Get Durham. There, you have 1B-3B-DH shored up with "grinders" for as little as 10 Mill.

Giles works for me too, though Sox would need to get rid of Dye'a 6 Mill first, which won't happen unless he has a helluva September to pretty up the overall numbers. Giles may never Slug 600 again, but as long as he gets on base at 420-430 clip at USCF, I don't care; he'd be crazy not to give us a slight discount the way the ball jumps to Right especially.

LF Pods (healthy)

DH Durham

RF Giles

CF Rowand (his Slugging should bounce back to .500+)

1B Overbay

2B Iguchi

C AJP

3B Mueller

SS Uribe (looking better lately; hopefully he's growing out of his moronic ways)

Something along those lines. Not gonna finish with 250 HR on the season, but when it comes to Quality Pitchers in Big Games, that line-up can hold its own with anybody.

QUOTE(Yeast Confection @ Aug 22, 2005 -> 09:57 PM)
I don't care how weak/strong the market is.  Some things you do; some things you just don't.

Mueller is not a bad idea unless he costs more than 4 Mill.    In addition to that, Sox might want to dump some of their overrated prospects in exchange for either Tracy or Overbay, who should be cheap for at least 3 more years.    Get Durham. There, you have 1B-3B-DH shored up with "grinders" for as little as 10 Mill.   

Giles works for me too, though Sox would need to get rid of Dye'a 6 Mill first, which won't happen unless he has a helluva September to pretty up the overall numbers.    Giles may never Slug 600 again, but as long as he gets on base at 420-430 clip at USCF, I don't care;  he'd be crazy not to give us a slight discount the way the ball jumps to Right especially.

LF Pods  (healthy)

DH Durham

RF Giles

1B Overbay

2B Iguchi

C AJP

3B Mueller

SS Uribe (looking better lately; hopefully he's growing out of his moronic ways)

Something along those lines.  Not gonna finish with 250 HR on the season, but when it comes to Quality Pitchers in Big Games, that line-up can hold its own with anybody.

I highly doubt KW will redo this offense, he did with the pitching last winter but his "chemistry" is something he doesn't want to mess with. The only way we overhaul our offense is if they continue to blow and our pitching does as good as you can ask but they still lose. It can happen but I just don't think KW will make that many moves.

QUOTE(Yeast Confection @ Aug 22, 2005 -> 10:57 PM)
LF Pods  (healthy)

DH Durham

RF Giles

1B Overbay

2B Iguchi

C AJP

3B Mueller

Something along those lines.  Not gonna finish with 250 HR on the season, but when it comes to Quality Pitchers in Big Games, that line-up can hold its own with anybody.

Just for the record:

LF Pods (30yo)

DH Durham (34yo)

RF Giles (35yo)

CF Rowand (28yo)

1B Overbay (29yo)

2B Iguchi (31)

C AJP (29yo)

3B Mueller (35yo)

SS Uribe (26)

THAT is an old team.

Oh yeah, I'm curious to find out which prospects you think are overrated?

Just for the record:

LF Pods (30yo)

DH Durham (34yo)

RF Giles (35yo)

CF Rowand (28yo)

1B Overbay (29yo)

2B Iguchi (31)

C AJP (29yo)

3B Mueller (35yo)

SS Uribe (26)

THAT is an old team.

While 26-31 may seem like ancient stuff to us, in the world of 21st century baseball, that is still considered prime last time I checked. Furthermore, guys like Durham, Giles and Muller are not big-swinging HR meisters; they seem to get better with age at finding gaps and getting on base. Durham is here only for 2006, while Giles and Mueller won't get anything beyond a 2-year deal with an option. Sure, the age-related downside exists - as it did for the Yankees back in late 90s - but that's what makes those players semi-affordable in the first place.

Then again, some may prefer to see the 1999 version of the Sox take the field...

QUOTE(Kalapse @ Aug 22, 2005 -> 11:08 PM)
Just for the record:

LF Pods (30yo)

DH Durham (34yo)

RF Giles (35yo)

CF Rowand (28yo)

1B Overbay (29yo)

2B Iguchi (31)

C AJP (29yo)

3B Mueller (35yo)

SS Uribe (26)

THAT is an old team.

Is Uribe's age a different color for any reason?