Rotoworld predicts sox to sign Jarrod Washburn

maggsmaggs

I don't see how we will be in a position to spend that money when we have Count, Hernandez, McCarthy all going for 2 spots. I don't think El-Duque will be traded, but count has looked very solid all year and an NL team might take a chance on him. Any thoughts?

Jarrod Washburn (Angels) - Washburn has, for the most part, overcome the arm problems that once made him look like a poor bet to have a long career. He did spend some time on the DL recently with elbow inflammation, but it seems it was only a minor problem. His only other significant injury the last five years was a rib-cage problem in 2004. With his 3.38 ERA this season pulling his career total under 4.00, he’s in line to receive three or four years. I don’t think he’s a great investment -- he relies so much on his fastball that things will get ugly in a hurry if he loses some velocity -- but as the top lefty under 40 on the market, he’s going to get $7 million per year easy. Prediction: White Sox - four years, $28 million

Here's the link for the rest of the pitchers: http://www.rotoworld.com/content/story.asp...B&storyid=15355

Edited by maggsmaggs

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Where's Anthrax to rub in his "I told you we'd sign Jarrod Washburn!!!"?

Anyways, no way in hell this happens. Even if someone like Count is moved (to Arizona in a Chad Tracy deal please), Brandon McCarthy will get the 1st crack at the spot in the rotation. And even if do sign a FA SP, which is so damn unlikely, I think we may got after one of the Japanese guys like Daisuke Matzusuka.

This off-season, it's very likely we sign a SS or 3B. Options for this include Bill Mueller, Joe Randa, Rafael Furcal and Alex Gonzalez. Whoever we sign should be able to be a #2 hole hitter in my mind, so we can push Iguchi down to say #3, #5 or #6 in a run producing spot.

And then of course we can target someone for the DH spot. Brian Giles has been mentioned, even though his bat speed is declining. But these 2 stats pushes me to believe, if we can get him for a 2 or 3 year deal, jump at it;

AWAY - .327/.456/.562

BB/K ratio - 96/52 (that's almost 2 to 1, insane really).

QUOTE(Wedge @ Aug 22, 2005 -> 10:30 AM)
Washburn would be the best FA pitcher out there (except for arguably Beckett).  I think that we would trade a starter (like Contreras) in a deal for a bat.  It makes sense, but only if you stretch it a bit.

No offense, but I dont know if I want to deal contreras anymore, the guy has shown that he can put it together and straight out dominate other teams. I would like to give the guy another year.

QUOTE(RockRaines @ Aug 22, 2005 -> 09:39 AM)
No offense, but I dont know if I want to deal contreras anymore, the guy has shown that he can put it together and straight out dominate other teams.  I would like to give the guy another year.

I agree with that point of view. Contreras has been money in August. It just seems that they'd be more inclined to trade Contreras than any of the others.

QUOTE(Wedge @ Aug 22, 2005 -> 10:30 AM)
Washburn would be the best FA pitcher out there (except for arguably Beckett).  I think that we would trade a starter (like Contreras) in a deal for a bat.  It makes sense, but only if you stretch it a bit.

Burnett?

Burnett >> Washburn

If hypotheically I dealt Contreras to the Dbacks for Tracy (a deal I think they'd think about, with them eating the entire contract). Than I'd sign AJ Burnett and would than deal El Duque to a team to open up a spot for Brandon McCarthy.

Payroll wise the rotation stays about the same, but I like a rotation of Buehrle/Garland/Garcia/Burnett/Bmac more. Offensively you get yourself a player who I believe is better than Carl Everett (plus he's a legit lefty hitter) that can also spell Crede and Konerko.

Than the club can trade for Carlos Delgado and let Konerko walk. Deal Brian Anderson and maybe one more prospect for him (I think the Marlins are going to have to deal him this off-season cause he's going to be making a ridiculous amount of money).

Insert Chad Tracy to replace Everett and Delgado to replace Konerko. Financially once again payroll stays the same and the team has agreed two pretty damn good left handed bats.

The club now has the payroll jump to do whatever it wants at SS and 3rd base (basically my guess is 10-15 million and by the time you give Garland his raise it will be more like 10 million).

Now if the math sounds a little funny:

Contreras (7 mill or so)....Burnett (11-12 mill or 4-5 mill more, which is what Duque makes who also gets dealt and McCarthy makes league minimum so between the two the payroll is basically 12 million).

Konerko makes 8 or so million...Delgado will get about 13, which is a 5 mill difference. Chad Tracy gets minimum while Everett makes 4.5 mill so you roughly break even there again.

The Sox than buyout Thomas contract which saves you another 5 mill (after the buyout) which goes to Garland's raise, which is basically the only thing left.

The club now basically stands at 75 mill (which is where I think payroll currently is) with all the new moves (ie Delgado/Burnett/etc). Ken Williams now has, depending on the 2006 payroll, 10-15 million to give to free agents or to use on a player acquired via trade.

End pipe dream though cause that would be a whole lot of moves for a team making the playoffs. However, I think that would make for one hell of a team. Don't ask me how to spend the other money, but I'd probably spend half of it on a ss or 3rd baseman and the other half on a guy like Billy Wagner.

QUOTE(Chisoxfn @ Aug 22, 2005 -> 03:31 PM)
If hypotheically I dealt Contreras to the Dbacks for Tracy (a deal I think they'd think about, with them eating the entire contract).  Than I'd sign AJ Burnett and would than deal El Duque to a team to open up a spot for Brandon McCarthy. 

Payroll wise the rotation stays about the same, but I like a rotation of Buehrle/Garland/Garcia/Burnett/Bmac more. Offensively you get yourself a player who I believe is better than Carl Everett (plus he's a legit lefty hitter) that can also spell Crede and Konerko. 

Than the club can trade for Carlos Delgado and let Konerko walk.  Deal Brian Anderson and maybe one more prospect for him (I think the Marlins are going to have to deal him this off-season cause he's going to be making a ridiculous amount of money). 

Insert Chad Tracy to replace Everett and Delgado to replace Konerko.  Financially once again payroll stays the same and the team has agreed two pretty damn good left handed bats. 

The club now has the payroll jump to do whatever it wants at SS and 3rd base (basically my guess is 10-15 million and by the time you give Garland his raise it will be more like 10 million).

Now if the math sounds a little funny:

Contreras (7 mill or so)....Burnett (11-12 mill or 4-5 mill more, which is what Duque makes who also gets dealt and McCarthy makes league minimum so between the two the payroll is basically 12 million). 

Konerko makes 8 or so million...Delgado will get about 13, which is a 5 mill difference.  Chad Tracy gets minimum while Everett makes 4.5 mill so you roughly break even there again. 

The Sox than buyout Thomas contract which saves you another 5 mill (after the buyout) which goes to Garland's raise, which is basically the only thing left. 

The club now basically stands at 75 mill (which is where I think payroll currently is) with all the new moves (ie Delgado/Burnett/etc).  Ken Williams now has, depending on the 2006 payroll, 10-15 million to give to free agents or to use on a player acquired via trade.

End pipe dream though cause that would be a whole lot of moves for a team making the playoffs.  However, I think that would make for one hell of a team.  Don't ask me how to spend the other money, but I'd probably spend half of it on a ss or 3rd baseman and the other half on a guy like Billy Wagner.

Wow Jason ! You got it all figured out. Thanks buddy. Now I don't have to bother watching the sports news or reading Soxtalk during the winter. :P