Hopefully Lance works out

southsideirish71

Providence Catholic product Kris Honel suffered the loss for Double-A Birmingham in its 6-3 defeat to Mobile in Southern League play Saturday night. Honel, the Sox's first-round pick (No. 16 overall) in the 2001 First-Year Players Draft, lasted just two innings against the BayBears, allowing six hits and six earned runs.

On the season, Honel is 5-7 with a 5.77 ERA.

The winning pitcher for Mobile was Mount Carmel and University of Miami product Cesar Carrillo.

Carrillo, who improved to 4-0, gave up four hits and three earned runs in six innings. He was drafted by San Diego with the 18th pick in the first round of this year's First-Year Players Draft.

Providence Catholic product Kris Honel suffered the loss for Double-A Birmingham in its 6-3 defeat to Mobile in Southern League play Saturday night. Honel, the Sox's first-round pick (No. 16 overall) in the 2001 First-Year Players Draft, lasted just two innings against the BayBears, allowing six hits and six earned runs.

On the season, Honel is 5-7 with a 5.77 ERA.

The winning pitcher for Mobile was Mount Carmel and University of Miami product Cesar Carrillo.

Carrillo, who improved to 4-0, gave up four hits and three earned runs in six innings. He was drafted by San Diego with the 18th pick in the first round of this year's First-Year Players Draft.

Good. Lord. :banghead

(in response to peeps annointing Carillo the next Zambrano after... how many outings exactly?)

Edited by Yeast Confection

QUOTE(GoSox05 @ Aug 23, 2005 -> 07:06 PM)
how is Lance Broadway doing anyways?

About as well, if not better, than Carrillo did in his stint at high-A.

It's just, San Diego seems to want Carrillo on a fast track to the majors. They need arms. We, OTOH, don't. If we drafted Carrillo, I'd venture to say he'd still be with the big club.

QUOTE(CWSGuy406 @ Aug 23, 2005 -> 01:11 PM)
About as well, if not better, than Carrillo did in his stint at high-A.

It's just, San Diego seems to want Carrillo on a fast track to the majors.  They need arms.  We, OTOH, don't.  If we drafted Carrillo, I'd venture to say he'd still be with the big club.

Lets see how Broadway fairs as he progresses through AA probably next year at some point.

But so far

Broadway 1 win 1 loss 9 Starts 47.2 innings 51 hits 15 ER 18 BB and 51Ks 2.83 ERA in high A

Carillo 1 win 4 starts 19.1 innings 15 hits 6 ER 3BB 20Ks 2.79 ERA in high A

4 wins 5 starts 30.2 innings 23 hits 11 ER 7BB 35Ks 3.23 ERA in AA

And whatever you can say about the fast track if any of our prospects made this jump in such a short time and also were doing as well in AA we would be doing cartwheels. Look at all the Gio love so far.

Edited by southsideirish71

I'm not quite sure I get your point, SS71.

Yes, Carrillo is doing well so far, but you can't really say that Broadway has done worse -- he hasn't gotten the same chance that Carrillo has gotten.

I don't think the plan for Gio was to be up at Birmingham this year, anyways. He's only 19. I'd like to see him dominate high-A a little more.

But, as for our pitching prospects as a whole, it's better than it's been in a while. You got McCarthy at AAA who's been awesome in the second half, Haigwood who's having a brilliant season at AA, Haeger and Tracey who are doing decently at Birmingham, and then Liotta, Gio, and Broadway at high-A. Now, obviously none of them are locks, but that's seven good prospects are having good-to-great-to-spectacular seasons this year.

QUOTE(CWSGuy406 @ Aug 23, 2005 -> 04:11 PM)
I'm not quite sure I get your point, SS71.

Yes, Carrillo is doing well so far, but you can't really say that Broadway has done worse -- he hasn't gotten the same chance that Carrillo has gotten.

I don't think the plan for Gio was to be up at Birmingham this year, anyways.  He's only 19.  I'd like to see him dominate high-A a little more.

But, as for our pitching prospects as a whole, it's better than it's been in a while.  You got McCarthy at AAA who's been awesome in the second half, Haigwood who's having a brilliant season at AA, Haeger and Tracey who are doing decently at Birmingham, and then Liotta, Gio, and Broadway at high-A.  Now, obviously none of them are locks, but that's seven good prospects are having good-to-great-to-spectacular seasons this year.

I like our pitching depth in the minors.

I have no personal problem with Broadway. I just like Carrillo's stuff and future makeup more. For me its the thought of a sinkerballer tossing a heavy ball at the Cell. We seem to draft very similiar guys in makeup, and its probably time we start to get a bit of difference so we can keep people on their toes. The big thing about our rotation this year is that there are no two guys similiar in our pitching rotation. I just hope that Lance can keep it up and progress well next year.

QUOTE(Chisoxfn @ Aug 24, 2005 -> 05:14 PM)
Gio isn't ready for AA.

I agree, but right now is a good time to look at what he's done.

Gio now has pitched about the same number of innings in High-A as Low-A this year, and here are how the stats compare:

Low-A 57 2/3 IP, 36 H, 16 R, 12 ER, 3 HR, 22 BB, 84K

High-A 59 1/3 IP, 54 H, 31 R, 27 ER, 4 HR, 23 BB, 64K

His walk rate is about the same (Good), strikeout rate is down from a ridiculous 13.1 to a still outstanding 9.7. K/BB went from about 4:1 to about 3:1. Still very good peripherals.

He's just hit a few more bats - he has given up 18 more hits and struck out 20 fewer guys. Only one more homer is pretty good, too.

Given the fact that W-S's ballpark is extremely hitter friendly, I think he's done a very nice job at High-A this year. I'm not discourage by the 4.10 ERA at all.

It would be a difficult call to move him up to start the season in AA. I could see him getting 10 starts in High-A and if he puts up a good performance, then move him. I could also see trying to stretch him a little bit and move him right up to Birmingham.

I wonder if the fact that Birmingham has an extreme pitcher's park puts some bad habits in the Sox pitchers. They can get away with more and not get hurt (especially with 3 pretty good defenders in the outfield this year).

It's kind of funny that the Sox minor league system goes from hitters' park (W-S) to pitchers' park (B'ham) to hitters' park (Charlotte). Dunno if that is good for the development or bad.

I think its good, the hitters parks are good because they teach the pitchers to not allow the HR ball and gives them a taste of how its going to be in US Cellular. The pitchers park is good because its like a confidence booster in the middle for them in a way. Also hopefully it teaches our hitters that you dont need the HR to win like our current group of hitters think.

• 2 weeks later...

Lance got hit around again tonight. Will take his 3rd loss against 1 win as his ERA moves to 4.58. Anyone else worried that our top pick in the draft is struggling in high-A ball after being through the college system?

Edited by 3E8

QUOTE(3E8 @ Sep 4, 2005 -> 06:59 PM)
Lance got hit around again tonight.  Will take his 3rd loss against 1 win as his ERA moves to 4.58.  Anyone else worried that our top pick in the draft is struggling in high-A ball after being through the college system?

He's not really struggling. He's was pitching very well before these last two starts.

QUOTE(OilCan @ Sep 4, 2005 -> 08:55 PM)
Lance will be all right. 

IMO, chalk one up to "tiring at the end of the year".  How many innings, since his final year in college, has he pitched this year anyway?  Betcha it's close to 175 IP combined.  He'll be OK.

Very close, it's about 172 IP.

I just looked up some some other college pitchers taken in the first round and it seems there is some merit to what you guys are saying. There weren't many pitchers who have thrown as many innings this year and performed better than Lance (Carrillo seems to be the lone exception). Romero (6th) is doing pretty well with all the innings, but Townsend (8th) seems to be doing poorly.

Edited by 3E8

QUOTE(3E8 @ Sep 4, 2005 -> 09:38 PM)
Romero (6th) is doing pretty well with all the innings, but Townsend (8th) seems to be doing poorly.

Townsend is a different case though. He didn't pitch in college last year because he lost his eligibility and didn't sign with the Orioles at the same time.