Show Thomas the love

greasywheels121

Surprised to see this coming from Sullivan...

http://chicagosports.chicagotribune.com/sp...tesox-headlines

Show Thomas the love

Sox should have a special day this season for the slugger

By Paul Sullivan

Tribune staff reporter

While watching the Cubs' tribute to Ryne Sandberg on Sunday, my thoughts somehow turned to Frank Thomas.

If ever there was a White Sox player who deserved a similar tribute in front of a packed house of appreciative fans, it's Thomas, the team's all-time leader in home runs, doubles, runs, on-base percentage, slugging percentage and several other categories.

More important, Thomas also has spent his entire 1,959-game career wearing a Sox uniform, opting to stay on the South Side in good times and bad.

Thomas hasn't been heard from since news of his season-ending foot injury last month, an untimely occurrence that spoiled what could have been a storybook finish to a legendary Sox career.

It seems unlikely that Thomas will return to the Sox in 2006, and some believe the injury is severe enough that it might mean the end of his career.

But no matter what the future brings for Thomas, Sox management owes it to him and their fans to schedule a Frank Thomas Appreciation Day at U.S. Cellular Field before the end of this memorable season.

Thomas may balk at the idea, believing it's premature to predict he won't be back with the Sox in 2006.

Management may think it's crazy to honor a player with whom ties might be cut in a couple of months, preferring to celebrate Thomas' career when and if he returns in a different uniform, or perhaps after his career is officially over.

But a Big Hurt Appreciation Day in 2006 or later won't have the same emotional impact as if it were to take place before one of the Sox's final 17 home games in September.

It doesn't have to be a major blowout; just a simple thank you, a video tribute and a chance for Thomas to take a bow and feel the warmth of Sox fans.

Most everyone agrees this has been one of the most remarkable and enjoyable Sox seasons in decades.

And it's a shame Thomas could make only a cameo appearance before breaking down again and having to go home to mend.

Thomas didn't always say the politically correct thing, making him a lightning rod for controversy.

But the bottom line is he has been one of the greatest players in Sox history, and he chose to stick with the Sox during the prime of his career instead of leaving through free agency.

The Big Hurt deserves his Ryno moment, now more than ever.

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Everyone is so quick to ride Thomas out of town, but where's he going to go?

You can, right off the bat, eliminate all NL teams -- Thomas is a DH for whatever is left of his career.

Then, there's at least five AL teams that will have absolutely no interest in him -- Tampa Bay and Kansas City jump out to me off the top of my head.

That leaves about ten teams, including the Sox, that might be interested in him.

Personally, I think Thomas will be back on an incentive laden contract.

They need to do this...after his career is over. Who the hell wants a tribute while they're technically still playing? I wouldn't. Do we have wakes and funerals for people that are still alive? Stupid idea for this season, if you ask me.

QUOTE(mreye @ Aug 29, 2005 -> 08:28 AM)
They need to do this...after his career is over. Who the hell wants a tribute while they're technically still playing? I wouldn't. Do we have wakes and funerals for people that are still alive? Stupid idea for this season, if you ask me.

Exactly...this is stupid. When he retires, we'll have a nice tribute...and Frank will get a nice statue out in center.

Maybe if he was with the team when he was injured, ala Scott Podsednik and basically any other Sox player who has been hurt this season including a World Series champion like El Duque, I would be in favor of this. I haven't seen Frank at one game this year since he went on the shelf. Does he even care about this team and if he does, why isn't he in the dugout every game?

QUOTE(aboz56 @ Aug 29, 2005 -> 09:13 AM)
Maybe if he was with the team when he was injured, ala Scott Podsednik and basically any other Sox player who has been hurt this season including a World Series champion like El Duque, I would be in favor of this.  I haven't seen Frank at one game this year since he went on the shelf.  Does he even care about this team and if he does, why isn't he in the dugout every game?

Wow, I never even thought of that. That's a good question. Why was he never there? I hope there's a satisfying answer out there.

QUOTE(Milkman delivers @ Aug 29, 2005 -> 10:20 AM)
Wow, I never even thought of that.  That's a good question.  Why was he never there?  I hope there's a satisfying answer out there.

Milkman, you will get your usual answer. It will be a combination of Frank is so hurt that he cannot walk and is back in Vegas rehabbing for next season. However, I believe the guy should be traveling with the team. This has been commonplace for Frank to not be with the team when he's been injured. And personally, I think it is a bunch of BS and more fuel to my fire of things I don't like about Frank Thomas. I love the guy as a player, but things like this just boil my blood like no other. Unless you are bed wridden to the point you can't walk, you can at least sit in the dugout and give some support. Just imagine the feeling you would get while attending a Sox game when Carl puts us ahead in the 8th with a blast and Frank is one of the first guys giving him a high five when he returns to the dugout. Personally, I think it would give me chills.

QUOTE(aboz56 @ Aug 29, 2005 -> 09:25 AM)
Milkman, you will get your usual answer.  It will be a combination of Frank is so hurt that he cannot walk and is back in Vegas rehabbing for next season. However, I believe the guy should be traveling with the team.  This has been commonplace for Frank to not be with the team when he's been injured.  And personally, I think it is a bunch of BS and more fuel to my fire of things I don't like about Frank Thomas.  I love the guy as a player, but things like this just boil my blood like no other.  Unless you are bed wridden to the point you can't walk, you can at least sit in the dugout and give some support.  Just imagine the feeling you would get while attending a Sox game when Carl puts us ahead in the 8th with a blast and Frank is one of the first guys giving him a high five when he returns to the dugout.  Personally, I think it would give me chills.

That's the answer I assumed would be thrown out there. I wanna think the guy is a team player, but sometimes it just doesn't seem like that. It was especially obvious when he was completely homer-or-nothing (even moreso than Konerko, have fun with that one, SS2k5) in his short stint with the team this year.

QUOTE(Milkman delivers @ Aug 29, 2005 -> 09:33 AM)
That's the answer I assumed would be thrown out there.  I wanna think the guy is a team player, but sometimes it just doesn't seem like that.  It was especially obvious when he was completely homer-or-nothing (even moreso than Konerko, have fun with that one, SS2k5) in his short stint with the team this year.

Frank has always been my favorite player...but his me-first attitude has always made me mad. I agree, he should be in that dugout...especially since we are paying $8 million to do nothing.

QUOTE(Milkman delivers @ Aug 29, 2005 -> 08:20 AM)
Wow, I never even thought of that.  That's a good question.  Why was he never there?  I hope there's a satisfying answer out there.

The guy is in a cast. If the other guys were in a cast or not rehabbing with Herm Schneider, they wouldn't be with the team either. If he were in Chicago, which we were lead to believe was to become his permanent home but evidently isn't, then I could see him at home games, but I'm pretty sure a lot of travel is discouraged in his current condition. Did he visit the team in Seattle? Nobody mentioned anything.

QUOTE(Dick Allen @ Aug 29, 2005 -> 11:33 AM)
The guy is in a cast. If the other guys were in a cast or not rehabbing with Herm Schneider, they wouldn't be with the team either. If he were in Chicago, which we were lead to believe was to become his permanent home but evidently isn't, then I could see him at home games, but I'm pretty sure a lot of travel is discouraged in his current condition. Did he visit the team in Seattle? Nobody mentioned anything.

Still not an excuse IMO. All he needs to do is sit in the dugout and be with the team. He is on the team, right? We are paying his salary, right? This is a situation where...1) KW won't tell Frank anything and 2) Reinsdorf okays this kind of behavior from Thomas.

Could you ever see Derek Jeter, Bernie Williams or Mo Rivera becoming injured and then not traveling with the Yankees and attending games? It would never happen. Hell Jeter could have a broken neck and I'd be willing to bet he'd make an appearance at the stadium.

It's time for all of the Frank Thomas apologists to step up and defend your boy. Wait, it can't happen because there is clearly no excuse that he is NEVER with the team when he is injured. When he had his arm injured a few years ago, he was never at games then either.

Just say no to a Frank Thomas appreciation day unless he wants to become a part of the team on an everyday basis, not just when its convienient for Frank.

QUOTE(aboz56 @ Aug 29, 2005 -> 10:44 AM)
Still not an excuse IMO.  All he needs to do is sit in the dugout and be with the team.  He is on the team, right?  We are paying his salary, right?  This is a situation where...1) KW won't tell Frank anything and 2) Reinsdorf okays this kind of behavior from Thomas.

Could you ever see Derek Jeter, Bernie Williams or Mo Rivera becoming injured and then not traveling with the Yankees and attending games?  It would never happen. Hell Jeter could have a broken neck and I'd be willing to bet he'd make an appearance at the stadium.

It's time for all of the Frank Thomas apologists to step up and defend your boy.  Wait, it can't happen because there is clearly no excuse that he is NEVER with the team when he is injured.

Just say no to a Frank Thomas appreciation day unless he wants to become a part of the team on an everyday basis, not just when its convienient for Frank.

Well, I don't know about that. You apparently feel much more strongly about this than I do. IMO, the guy has done enough in his career to warrant an appreciation day. But, it could also wait until he retires, so I don't even know.

The answer wont be good enough for those that disagree.. but he was told to go home. The Sox (Herm) can't do anything for him, and for someone who was told to STAY OFF his foot does it make a lot of sense for him to be traveling.. having it swell in the cast possibly causing other issues..? To most, it doesn't, but for some it's all about riding his ass.

In March when he requested not to travel to the hearings and speak via video phone eveyone was screaming "they better let him do that - there is no reason he should travel with the risk of his foot swelling.. etc, etc.." now that he's not traveling because he was told not to he's getting s*** on for staying home. Funny stuff..

QUOTE(aboz56 @ Aug 29, 2005 -> 10:44 AM)
Still not an excuse IMO.  All he needs to do is sit in the dugout and be with the team.  He is on the team, right?  We are paying his salary, right?  This is a situation where...1) KW won't tell Frank anything and 2) Reinsdorf okays this kind of behavior from Thomas.

Could you ever see Derek Jeter, Bernie Williams or Mo Rivera becoming injured and then not traveling with the Yankees and attending games?  It would never happen. Hell Jeter could have a broken neck and I'd be willing to bet he'd make an appearance at the stadium.

It's time for all of the Frank Thomas apologists to step up and defend your boy.  Wait, it can't happen because there is clearly no excuse that he is NEVER with the team when he is injured.  When he had his arm injured a few years ago, he was never at games then either.

Except he is planning on being in the dugout. Expect to see him very shortly.

People that do not like Frank Thomas = No true White Sox fan

QUOTE(the People's Champ @ Aug 29, 2005 -> 11:05 AM)
Except he is planning on being in the dugout.  Expect to see him very shortly.

He didn't say he didn't like him. :stick

QUOTE(the People's Champ @ Aug 29, 2005 -> 12:05 PM)
Except he is planning on being in the dugout.  Expect to see him very shortly.

I like Frank Thomas as a player.

Your second line there was pretty damn funny. I almost fell out of my chair.