Should you get a car on your 16th birthday?

farmteam

QUOTE(whitesoxin' @ Aug 31, 2005 -> 07:07 PM)
I work with all my friends at DQ, but it still sucks balls. I make all the food on the grill and its so f***ing greasy. Plus, the pay sucks because the boss is a cheap ass.

That's all you man lol. I worked at this little place called "Harmony's Hamburgers" and the owner was this wittle owd lady and she was really cool. Free s*** everyday, a little above minimum wage, friends, and regular customers = good tips!

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(SoxFan1 @ Aug 31, 2005 -> 06:09 PM)
That's all you man lol. I worked at this little place called "Harmony's Hamburgers" and the owner was this wittle owd lady and she was really cool. Free s*** everyday, a little above minimum wage, friends, and regular customers = good tips!

Oh yeah I forgot to mention we have to pay 50% on our food, but f*** that I pig out all the time and tell them I didn't eat anything.

Edit: thanks for the cookies, and now back to our regularly schedule thread..

Edited by whitesoxin'

QUOTE(whitesoxin' @ Aug 31, 2005 -> 07:11 PM)
Oh yeah I forgot to mention we have to pay 50% on our food, but f*** that I pig out all the time and tell them I didn't eat anything.

Edit: thanks for the cookies, and now back to our regularly schedule thread..

It's Dairy Queen..how much ice cream can you really pig out on? :P

Your welcome, enjoy them with some ice cream... :lol:

Now, cars...

Edited by SoxFan1

QUOTE(SoxFan1 @ Aug 31, 2005 -> 06:12 PM)
how much ice cream can you really pig out on? :P

I make all the food on the grill and its so f***ing greasy.

:P

I hate when people I know get brand new cars. Example, one of my friends got a 2005 Mustang last year for his 16th. :headshake

QUOTE(whitesoxin' @ Aug 31, 2005 -> 07:17 PM)
:P

I hate when people I know get brand new cars. Example, one of my friends got a 2005 Mustang last year for his 16th. :headshake

No one is that rich out of my friends. Only 1 of my friends (who we all suspect his father to be a drug dealer :P ) got a new BMW for his 16th. Everyone else, 1993 Camaro, 1996 Lincoln Mark VIII (me), 1995 Grand Prix, 1995 Blazer K5, etc.

QUOTE(SoxFan1 @ Aug 31, 2005 -> 07:23 PM)
No one is that rich out of my friends. Only 1 of my friends (who we all suspect his father to be a drug dealer  :P )  got a new BMW for his 16th. Everyone else, 1993 Camaro, 1996 Lincoln Mark VIII (me), 1995 Grand Prix, 1995 Blazer K5, etc.

For $150 I bought a 1986 plymouth reliant powder blue station wagon (got my license in 98) from my Grandma.

It was hott.

It all depends on the type of car, price of the car, and commitment of the person to pay a certain percentage of costs.

Prior to my 16th birthday I saved over $2,000 dollars working with my parents and doing yard work for elderly neighbors. Because my grades were good and I was willing to pay for insurance with nearly all the money I earned from a part-time job my parents promised to chip in $4,000 dollars for a 1987 Monte Carlo SS. My brother, a mechanic, already inspected it and found it in good condition despite 90,000 miles.

Unfortunately, two days after I received my license I crashed my dad's car into that of a friend from school. Immediately my parents took the opportunity to squash the idea of purchasing the Monte Carlo. While I was pissed then, I understand now giving a new driver the keys to either a muscle car, or even a car in general, creates a certain level of greed. I worked for my percentage of the payments, but still my parents offered to pay for nearly all of it. Teenagers should understand early in their life the personal commitment needed to own an item such as a car. Let me be clear that inheriting a car doesn't apply to my belief. It's when parents offer to pay a large portion of a car's costs that I object to.

If MTV"s Sweet Sixteen show (Unfortuantely, I'm drawn in to it) has taught my anything, it's the spoiled rich produce arrogant children who expect everything at their disposal. No sixteen year old should receive a new car,much less an Audi 500 or Landrover.

Edited by Flash Tizzle

QUOTE(Flash Tizzle @ Aug 31, 2005 -> 07:28 PM)
It all depends on the type of car, price of the car, and commitment of the person to pay a certain percentage of costs.

Prior to my 16th birthday I saved over $2,000 dollars working with my parents and doing yard work for elderly neighbors. Because my grades were good and I was willing to pay for insurance with nearly all the money I earned from a part-time job my parents promised to chip in $4,000 dollars for a 1987 Monte Carlo SS. My brother, a mechanic, already inspected it and found it in good condition despite 90,000 miles.

Unfortunately, two days after I received my license I crashed my dad's car into that of a friend from school. Immediately my parents took the opportunity to squash the idea of purchasing the Monte Carlo. While I was pissed then, I understand now giving a new driver the keys to either a muscle car, or even a car in general, creates a certain level of greed. I worked for my percentage of the payments, but still my parents offered to pay for nearly all of it. Teenagers should understand early in their life the personal commitment needed to own an item such as a car.

If MTV"s Sweet Sixteen show (Unfortuantely, I'm drawn in to it) has taught my anything, it's the spoiled rich produce arrogant children who expect everything at their disposal. No sixteen year old should receive a new car,much less an Audi 500 or Landrover.

:cheers :notworthy Shoot, my car has 123,000 mileson it now and I have accounted for about 26 of them so far...

my first car was a 91 toyota corolla w/ about 125k miles on it, i bought from a friend of my dad's for 1k after my 18th bday. parents paid for insurance as gift for graduation. until then drove my parents old cars which include an 85 diplomat, an 89 colt, & the best, a 91 voyager (literally was best--could pack 7 friends and had a killer sound system)...i miss that corolla--great lil car...

I pretty much got handed a used 1994 ford explorer when i turned 17. When i was 16 i would drive my dad's car here and there occasionally, mainly to saturday DH's for baseball and such. I paid for all the gas, and some of the insurance, and still do obviously.

Even though i got one right away, i don't think a kid should be handed a car on their birthday. He/she should have to pay for some of it (varies by family) and should be a well-behaved kid with good grades.

Of course, i grew up in a high school where kids were handed 30,000 dollar cars when they turned 16, so i may be biased.*

*And if they crashed it, they got a new one.

QUOTE(Flash Tizzle @ Aug 31, 2005 -> 06:28 PM)

Yeah, I was watching an episode last saturday, this girl was yelling at her mom and saying it would be her "worst birthday ever" if she got a 4 or 5 year old used Audi. Pfft, give me a 10 year old Chevy and I'd have been ecstatic.

And no, I did not get a car on my birthday. I know a few people who did, but a large portion of my friends didn't.

QUOTE(farmteam @ Aug 31, 2005 -> 10:12 PM)
Yeah, I was watching an episode last saturday, this girl was yelling at her mom and saying it would be her "worst birthday ever" if she got a 4 or 5 year old used Audi.  Pfft, give me a 10 year old Chevy and I'd have been ecstatic.

And no, I did not get a car on my birthday.  I know a few people who did, but a large portion of my friends didn't.

actual quote from this show:

"don't tell me the world doesn't revolve around me, because today it does" - girl w/ all the crap designer clothes and huge stupid paris hilton sunglasses.

I seriously need to program my tv to skip over mtv before i throw the remote at it, everything on mtv pisses me off.

I'm old

QUOTE(SnB @ Aug 31, 2005 -> 09:13 PM)
actual quote from this show:

"don't tell me the world doesn't revolve around me, because today it does" - girl w/ all the crap designer clothes and huge stupid paris hilton sunglasses.

I seriously need to program my tv to skip over mtv before i throw the remote at it, everything on mtv pisses me off.

I'm old

MTV sucks.