Sox v. Twins Official Game Thread 9/24/05

bjm676

QUOTE(Felix @ Sep 24, 2005 -> 06:22 PM)
I think Rollins for $40 over 5 years is worse.

I'm sure we could come up with a few worse ones. Renteria looks pretty bad right now...Beltre, J.D. Drew...personally I think ARod's is terrible, so are a bunch of the ones the Yankee Vets got.

• Replies 383
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(fathom @ Sep 24, 2005 -> 08:22 PM)
I'd offer PK 3/36, and if he said no, I'd wish him well and look to make a trade for a 1b.

But what 1b will you pick up that has the offensive production that Konerko has? Overbay or Tracy? Dont make me laugh.

The 1b with Paul's production arent going to be available for trade or FA for many years to come.

QUOTE(Felix @ Sep 25, 2005 -> 01:23 AM)
But what 1b will you pick up that has the offensive production that Konerko has?  Overbay or Tracy?  Dont make me laugh.

The 1b with Paul's production arent going to be available for trade or FA for many years to come.

Maybe you get rid of PK, find a solid offensive 1b like Overbay or Tracy, and save some money in order to get a DH that can hit above .250. Getting rid of PK gives this team a lot of flexibility. I'm still on the Contreras and Marte for Dunn or Blalock bandwagon.

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Sep 25, 2005 -> 01:24 AM)
Would you do 4/48?

Sure, it's not my money :P PK has been very reliable, and doesn't seem like an injury prone player. I'm not sure he has any muscles to pull. Also, he's proven that his numbers aren't steroid related, something that a lot of guys who signed big deals this year have failed to do. Like I said earlier, take a look at Javy's stats.

QUOTE(fathom @ Sep 24, 2005 -> 06:25 PM)
Maybe you get rid of PK, find a solid offensive 1b like Overbay or Tracy, and save some money in order to get a DH that can hit above .250.  Getting rid of PK gives this team a lot of flexibility.  I'm still on the Contreras and Marte for Dunn or Blalock bandwagon.

I think trading Contreras in the offseason would be a bad move, unless we can upgrade are offense significantly. If not, I'd hold on to him till the AS break, and see how things play out.

QUOTE(fathom @ Sep 24, 2005 -> 08:25 PM)
Maybe you get rid of PK, find a solid offensive 1b like Overbay or Tracy, and save some money in order to get a DH that can hit above .250.  Getting rid of PK gives this team a lot of flexibility.  I'm still on the Contreras and Marte for Dunn or Blalock bandwagon.

Blalocks numbers are inflated by playing in TBIA. He's hitting .242/.285/.350 with 5 HR and 29 RBI on the road this year.

Dunn is a possibility though.

QUOTE(CYGarland @ Sep 25, 2005 -> 01:27 AM)
I think trading Contreras in the offseason would be a bad move, unless we can upgrade are offense significantly. If not, I'd hold on to him till the AS break, and see how things play out.

It all matters what we want to do with Duque. If we're forced to start him, Contreras's value will never be higher than it is this offseason. Some teams will think he's the ace they've been looking for, and with one year left on his deal, he's not a huge risk.

QUOTE(fathom @ Sep 24, 2005 -> 06:25 PM)

The big question is...by downgrading offensively at 1b, given whatever the salary differences are, can we grab someone who can make up for the offense elsewhere?

Also...how much will it cost us to make a trade for someone like Overbay or Tracy? If the cost comes out prohibitively large, then we're left with Gload. And while I like Gload...I don't knwo if he's the answer right now.

Here's what I think...I think Konerko's status next year should depend entirely on how far we get in the playoffs. We go out in round 1 (or the unthinkable happens)...and if he chokes with the bat at the time, then maybe we let him walk.

Paulie steps it up big time in October and carries this team through a couple rounds...then sign that SOB.

QUOTE(Felix @ Sep 25, 2005 -> 01:28 AM)
Blalocks numbers are inflated by playing in TBIA.  He's hitting .242/.285/.350 with 5 HR and 29 RBI on the road this year.

Dunn is a possibility though.

Felix...Hank's had a bad season, yet you don't think he can improve next year? I see in another thread that you mention Rowand will be back to form next year? Blalock is a much more dangerous hitter than Rowand at a position that we're definitely lacking a big time hitter. I'd rather have Dunn though.

QUOTE(fathom @ Sep 24, 2005 -> 06:29 PM)
It all matters what we want to do with Duque.  If we're forced to start him, Contreras's value will never be higher than it is this offseason.  Some teams will think he's the ace they've been looking for, and with one year left on his deal, he's not a huge risk.

It also matters what happens this October...if we march through a few rounds and Jose steps up as big as he has been of late...then would you want to be the one who takes a piece out of a pitching staff that could have 5 15 game winners next year?

QUOTE(fathom @ Sep 24, 2005 -> 06:29 PM)
It all matters what we want to do with Duque.  If we're forced to start him, Contreras's value will never be higher than it is this offseason.  Some teams will think he's the ace they've been looking for, and with one year left on his deal, he's not a huge risk.

If we can trade Duque, I'd do it in a heartbeat.

QUOTE(Felix @ Sep 24, 2005 -> 08:23 PM)
But what 1b will you pick up that has the offensive production that Konerko has?  Overbay or Tracy? 

Tracy has a higher OPS than Konerko for what its worth. I don't think he is quite the offensive player is but for value Tracy>Konerko

Edited by whitesoxfan99

QUOTE(fathom @ Sep 24, 2005 -> 06:30 PM)
Felix...Hank's had a bad season, yet you don't think he can improve next year?  I see in another thread that you mention Rowand will be back to form next year?  Blalock is a much more dangerous hitter than Rowand at a position that we're definitely lacking a big time hitter.  I'd rather have Dunn though.

"Can" improve does not mean "Will" improve. Remember, there may always be a reason why anyone has taken a step back this year.

What a play by B.A.!!!!

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Sep 25, 2005 -> 01:30 AM)
It also matters what happens this October...if we march through a few rounds and Jose steps up as big as he has been of late...then would you want to be the one who takes a piece out of a pitching staff that could have 5 15 game winners next year?

If PK leaves, then yes, we're not going to have 5 15 game winners next season with the offense we'd be left with.